Does anyone else have this problem?

Options
I'm fairly new here so..hi!

Uh okay this is slightly embarrassing, but when I run, I find that it is very difficult, almost painful to breathe through my nose, so I have to breathe through my mouth. Then it's like I get this thick feeling at the back of my throat, and it goes dry, and even when I swallow it doesn't get any better, which then means that I have to stop or I feel like I can't breathe.

Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone got any advice for me? Thanks

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Do you have sinus issues or allergies? You really should be able to breathe through your nose. When exerting myself heavily, I find breathing in and out through my nose as much as possible really helps my endurance. Hopefully someone else will have other suggestions for you. Sorry!
  • AmeliaHelen96
    AmeliaHelen96 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Um I have hayfever, but no other allergies or sinus problems as far as I'm aware. Don't be sorry, I'm just glad one person replied!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I can't breathe through my nose most of the time either due to hayfever issues (plus going from warm to cold my nose clogs up). I think you might be slightly dehydrated which is why you are having issues with clogging up in your throat, or it can come from having dairy beforehand.
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You'll find all sorts of opinions as to how to breathe while running. Some say breath in through the nose and out through the mouth, some say mouth only. But most would agree, unless you're an elite athlete or trained in "belly breathing," at some point when you're really exerting yourself, you'll be breathing in and out through your mouth. Your nasal cavities are not big enough to intake (and consequently, output) the amount of air needed for intense oxygen needs.

I breathe almost exclusively through my mouth, and yes, because so much air is moving in and out, it can get dry, and often, especially into a long run (8+ miles), I get kind of phlegmy. It's normal. The solution, drink more water while you run. And perhaps, you might be starting off dehydrated, depending on where you are in your run when you start feeling so dry. If you feel that way before three miles of moderate running, I'd say you're dehydrated from the get go.

Carry a water bottle with you and sip when your mouth feels dry. Take several swallows every three miles or so. Dehydration not only makes your mouth feel bad, it affects everything about your run, and not in a good way. :)

There is such a thing as exercise-induced asthma, but you'd probably know if you had it. You'd feel like you were dying for a breath.

Good luck!
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You don't need to breathe through your nose to run. Breathe through your mouth, drink water on longer runs (for me, usually 6 miles or over I bring a water bottle), and spit at will.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Allergies, a deviated septum, or a sinus infection could all be the problem. I have allergies and I had a deviated septum that I had corrected with surgery. It helped a lot, but I still get congested and get sinus infections every few years. It's unusual that it only happens when you are running. I would consult a doctor.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I think it would happen more when you are running because you are breathing more. I try to breathe through my nose so I don't get as thirsty. So, I would agree with carrying water. You can get some nice water bottle holders that go around your waist or with a handle to carry on your hand. If you hate carrying water, you can hide some along your route, or plan your route past a friends house.
  • AmeliaHelen96
    AmeliaHelen96 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for all of your replies and very helpful suggestions.
    I have always taken water with me on a run, but no matter how much I drink, my throat still feels thick. I think it could be dehydration, as a few of you have suggested - I don't drink enough water anyway, but it's really difficult for me to drink water, because I end up feeling sick after 1/2 glass. I might consult a doctor, as I have to make an appointment to pick up some medication soon.
    Thank you again for all of your help everyone, it's greatly appreciated!