How much to you allow your weight to go up?

Options
124»

Replies

• Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I am within 5 lbs of being at goal, and my plan is to stick to within 2 lbs either way. I was hoping to stay within 110-112 but I am now at that point and would like to get to the 105-107 range.
  • holdenalarva
    Options
    Phill2488 wrote: »
    Weight obviously fluctuates, and the number of the scale can't stay the same all the time. So how high will you let the scale go up until you realise that you're slowly falling back into you're old ways again?

I like to keep my weight at about 130-135 pounds. So far the highest the scale has gone up for me is 133 pounds, and that's only due weekends of drinking alcohol. And within a day or two I'm back down to 130 anyway. So I'm doing good so far

Weight gain will fluctuate with fluid/sodium intake. I myself go up and down 5-7 per day depending if I eat high carb days vd low carb days. For every gram of carbs, 2.7 grams of water follow. So the scale should be used loosely. Weigh yourself every morning at the same time after using the bathroom. After 7 days, take an average and you will be more accurate. Weighing daily is nuts. The mirror never lies and fat takes up more space than muscle. I have a client who put on 10lbs, yet his waist size dropped 2". Its because he added muscle and lost fat. Alcohol will add weight temporarily but after 2 days, the body goes back to homeostasis.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    5 pounds variance. Nothing more than 10 pounds....ever. Over 5 is a dial down...10 pounds over is Boot Camp time.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    This is the first time in my life that I've lost all the weight and reached my ultimate goal. I am now trying to maintain but scared to DEATH that I will backslide into gaining again. I therefore don't allow myself to gain even a pound without eating at a strict deficit again for at least a week.
    Next month on the 24th will be my one year anniversary of lifestyle change. I thought by the time I'd been doing this for a year that all the bad habits would be broken and I'd be on easy street! NO SO for me! I still want that mint Chocolate mocha in the mornings and chips while watching TV in the evening. I just can't allow myself to gain this weight back ever again so I must be vigilant about keeping it off.

I was like this the first year as well.. To each his or her own way of finding out what maintenance is ...to them as an individual!

• drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have been able to stay at 140 with a reasonable amount of exercise, calorie awareness and still living in normal life. With that said, if I go much past 140, I really up my exercise and pay more attention to drinking tons of water and eating less carbs, so for me, I only let it go a pound or two up before making a change. I have also sat at 138 for a long time, so the 140 is a totally doable, comfortable, reasonable weight for a 44 year old mom of 2 who is 5'8" tall.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    i go from 129-132...would like to be 125, but can't maintain that without a lot of effort that I'm not willing to do!!
  • nxiety
    nxiety Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A 5 lb variance is what I allow, as long as it doesn't persist for a few days(rare.)
  • nowhereyouare83
    Options
    I gain 20 pounds and lose it over a couple weeks regularly
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    I generally maintain within a five pound range. I tend to hover closer to the top in the winter and the bottom in summer.

^^ this
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Knock on wood...I have been very fortunate that my weight has stayed exactly the same since Aug. I weigh myself every Friday morning and the scale has not moved. I have had family members weigh themselves to make sure the scale was working. LOL I know things can take a turn at any moment so to answer your question I would only allow a 2 pound difference before I revert back to 1200 calories.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I think the most common answer will be 5. I think it largely depends on person. I suffer from digestive problems related to past disordered eating. As a result, my weight can easily fluctuate by 10 lbs. It sounds crazy, but I have literally seen it jump that high after not... er, being able to 'go' for a week or so. As a result, the most I allow myself, personally, is ten lbs. I have not seen it jump above or below that. It's always within the same range. Granted, I don't weigh myself often.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    5# fluctuation. I would like to be 125#, but my body likes 130 and it is really a struggle to stay under 130#. I have gone up as high as 135#, but I monitor myself diligently. I do record everything I eat and drink daily as I tend to gain very easily. It is just the way it is for me.

Me too. I sometimes get to 125, but usually flatten out at 127. Right now I'm almost 129 and ready to get back to work. ;-) I'm still recovering from a broken leg in October, but I should stop using that as an excuse around now.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If I am up even one pound I reinback to 1200 calories until I get back down to goal. I don't ever want to gain the weight back again. In years past I would feel too comfortable with the weight loss and I ended up letting the weight creep back up. NEVER going to do that again.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I will allow for only 10 lbs and even that is too much. I stopped tracking Halloween thru the day after christmas and gained. Never again
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    A BMI between 25 and 27 is the range I am OK with based on the current research I have read.
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I love it when I go below my goal weight, because that day I can eat like a beast
  • pocketrocket42
    pocketrocket42 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I try to stay around 115. If I'm a couple pounds over or under, that's cool, but once I hit 120, it's time to get stricter with myself again.
  • quelie45
    quelie45 Posts: 7
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Whenever the scale shows 145, I start restricting my food. Around Thanksgiving , I was 147 because I was neglectful. I panicked. I don't want to gain again and have to buy bigger clothes. Today I am down 142.6. The closer to 140 the more I like it.