Does oatmeal bloat anyone else?

Options
DJ7203
DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
I have been doing eggs & rye toast for the past few days & my stomach was flat as a board. Today I had oatmeal & now I look 3 months pregnant. Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I've found that eating a substantial amount of oatmeal often enough can be tough on my digestive system.
  • dhoffman5
    dhoffman5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I cant eat any grains...wreaks havoc on my system for sure :(
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My understanding, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (and I hope they do!) is that oatmeal has a ton of fiber. If you tend to have less fiber in your diet, then suddenly having more could cause bloating. When I regularly eat a high fiber diet, my body adjusts and the bloating seems to decrease over time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    DJ7203 wrote: »
    I have been doing eggs & rye toast for the past few days & my stomach was flat as a board. Today I had oatmeal & now I look 3 months pregnant. Does this happen to anyone else?

No, but it doesn't keep me full at all, even though loads of people claim it keeps them going for hours!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No issues with oatmeal over here...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    DJ7203 wrote: »

No, but it doesn't keep me full at all, even though loads of people claim it keeps them going for hours!

It doesn't keep me full, either!

No, I don't get bloated from oatmeal generally.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I've been making oatmeal in the rice cooker this week (with apples and chia seeds). Keeps me full until lunch. If I eat a bagel I'm starving by lunch time! I think the trick is to do one that is not loaded with sugar. Some of the instant ones are filled with a ton of sugar. I'd rather just add a little maple syrup or raspberry jam (homemade).
  • Onesnap
    Options
    But here's the answer to the OP from the Livestrong site: Oats do not commonly cause bloating in most healthy adults. If you notice that you develop bloating almost every time you eat oats, you need to make an appointment with your doctor to determine the cause of the bloating.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Werd. I can go just fine until lunch with a 30g bowl of bran flakes w/dates and milk. Give me oatmeal and I'm starving in half an hour. I really like oatmeal though :(
  • Onesnap
    Options
    lexbubbles wrote: »

Werd. I can go just fine until lunch with a 30g bowl of bran flakes w/dates and milk. Give me oatmeal and I'm starving in half an hour. I really like oatmeal though :(

I'm guessing there's a scientific explanation for this! For me, the less processed the oats the more likely I'm full until lunch! So if I ate a packet of instant oatmeal loaded with sugar *boom* starving shortly after. If I cook the non-quick cook oats (20 minutes stove top or 1 hour in the rice cooker) it keeps me full until lunch. The quick cook oats (1 minute) are more highly processed. My guess is that the more processed the oats the faster your body processes them too (which is why I'm so hungry before lunch if I eat a bagel...the grains are highly processed). Slow cook oats + 1/2 an apple (cooked with) + chia seeds = a much different result for me than a Quick cook sugar-loaded Quaker oatmeal packet.

• lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Onesnap wrote: »

I'm guessing there's a scientific explanation for this! For me, the less processed the oats the more likely I'm full until lunch! So if I ate a packet of instant oatmeal loaded with sugar *boom* starving shortly after. If I cook the non-quick cook oats (20 minutes stove top or 1 hour in the rice cooker) it keeps me full until lunch. The quick cook oats (1 minute) are more highly processed. My guess is that the more processed the oats the faster your body processes them too (which is why I'm so hungry before lunch if I eat a bagel...the grains are highly processed). Slow cook oats + 1/2 an apple (cooked with) + chia seeds = a much different result for me than a Quick cook sugar-loaded Quaker oatmeal packet.

I don't use the quick-cook kind, though. Just the regular ol' fashioned kind (and definitely not instant)? Never add sugar to it, either, except in the form of fruit (normally dates again. I just really love dates. A lot)

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Me too... With peanut butter and chocolate drops!

Cereal or Greek yoghurt with granola keep me full a lot longer.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    alfiedn wrote: »
    My understanding, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (and I hope they do!) is that oatmeal has a ton of fiber. If you tend to have less fiber in your diet, then suddenly having more could cause bloating. When I regularly eat a high fiber diet, my body adjusts and the bloating seems to decrease over time.
    I think this may be true for some people. However, I always eat plenty of fiber, so I don't think this is the case for me.

• DJ7203
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I'll lay off the oatmeal for a few days & go to my toast & see what happens.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Try soaking oatmeal before you eat it.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    "Oatmeal Bloat" sounds like a great name for a punk rock band!
  • PeterSedesse
    Options
    One secret with oatmeal ( and all high fiber foods) is to make sure you are getting fruit with it. The oatmeal will trap the sugars from the fruit and release them over a longer period of time, which will keep you getting calories throughout the morning.

The other thing with oatmeal is the serving size. You really only need to eat a small helping. A bowl of cereal and a bowl of oatmeal are not the same thing. That bowl of cereal will get reduced to a very small size very quickly in your intestines, that bowl of oatmeal is basically going to remain as is for the next 24 hours. Oatmeal should be a small part of a well-balanced breakfast, not a cereal replacement.
  • DJ7203
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

I add a spoonful of peanut butter to my oatmeal. The added fat and protein gives breakfast some staying power.