Looking for input on depression/weight loss

Options
Hey everyone. I have had a very rough time for the last 7-8 months, in just about every aspect of my life. I'm finally giving up and planning to ask my doctor for something to help with depression - its just gonna take me forever to get in to see her. I have a little less than a month until my appointment and have been doing some research myself. Thinking about asking about wellbutrin. Does anyone have any experience with depression/anti-depressants? Thanks

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not for myself, but a couple family members. For chronic depression, medication can be a life-changer. I suggest you think over the doctor's recommendation first. There may be reasons you are unaware of why one would be picked over the other.

Sorry it will take so long to see your doctor.

In the meantime, are there any lifestyle changes you can make for relief like regular sleeping patterns (to bed the same time, up at the same time)?

The general advice I give to friends who are going through a rough time is to narrow the focus of your life to what is the most important. Even if it is to get you through the next fifteen minutes, do that. Nobody can carry the world on their shoulders forever.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My mother takes wellbutrin in addition to a low dosage of Xanax. I'd discuss what you're going through with your doctor and let him or her choose the best course of action for you. Don't get discouraged if your first medication isn't right for you. Sometimes it's a matter of trial and error to get you on the proper prescriptions and dosages to meet your needs. Good luck, Honey!
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed drugs for depression, it's the easy answer for a doctor. Never had any of them filled,I found that the worlds best anti depressant was the gym and weight loss. Even when I didn't see results on the scale my body felt so much better from going to the gym, fresh air walks in the sun and feeling accomplished.
  • Firefly31772
    Firefly31772 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Prozac on and off for most of my adult life. It has been a great help to me for breaking my depression cycles.

Also, I have done a lot of nutritional research for myself and have found that when I am getting a balanced diet, moderate exercise, and plenty of rest, I can go without medication for a long time.

The problem with depression is, you stop taking care of yourself so the depression deepens as your health goes south. This has been my life-long struggle.

I wish you the best of luck! =)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have found that for most of my "mild" depression, the gym is awesome. No side effects (other than weight loss!), no fogginess or weight gain issues, etc. I tell myself that the gym is the highlight of my day, I go in the evening so I look forward to it all day (sometimes I go morning and evening if needed). Many times it is the only reason I do not just go to bed at 5pm to get the day over with. Put on the headphones, turn it all the way up and rock out while lifting or working out. Sing along! It really helps clear your mind! In fact, weekends I put my headphones and workout clothes on first thing in the morning and clean house while working out - run a quick mile on treadmill, clean the sink, do some deadlifts, sweep the floor, etc. I rock out the whole time! Sometimes I do that the whole Sat or Sun... Lots of calories burned!!!! Especially since I dance to the music a little while cleaning.

For the not-so-mild type, I occasionally will use something for a few months. The last time my doctor suggested a new one Vybrid... Its supposed to not have quite the same issues as some others (specifically no zombie mode, I hate that). I wanted to still enjoy going to the gym and all, and sometimes the others make me not care too much. I don't like that. I only used it for 2 months, but it wasnt as bad as others I have tried. I am one of those people that start feeling better, then think "why am I taking this if I feel fine?" HAHA... But clearly it made me feel good enough that I thought I didn't need it!

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I gained 111 lbs within 3 years due to antidepressants. I also developed insulin resistance, caused by the medications. I would suggest therapy and consistent exercise BEFORE going on medications that can have significant side effects.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I took Wellbutrin years and years ago. It put me in this very 'la la la' state of mind where nothing really mattered - it actually really changed my personality. Probably most would have said for the better but I prefer my normal curmudgeonly self. I can't tell the difference between happy and stupid so I decided it was making me stupid.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin is an odd duck among the anti-depressants and works differently than others and has it's major effect on dopamine and less on seratonin and norepinephrine (the reason it is also used under the trade name zyban for smoking cessation). It is unlikely to cause weight gain, while SSRI, SNRI and old tricyclics are more likely to cause weight gain. My SIL actually lost weight on it.

That being said regular exercise has a similar effect size to relieving depression to therapy or to medication, though it appears the effects are largely additive.
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wellbutrin was given to me as a teenager.
    Along with trazadone for sleep help.
    It saved my life.
    That being said, it did not make my life BETTER.
    Just saved it.

I am coming out of a two year bout of severe clinical depression right now.
    No, medicine, yet.
    Just exercise.
    I hiiiighly suggest jogging as a means to combat your inner monologue.
    I'm a horrible jogger. But am starting to see how good it is for me. :D
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling down. Depression is a serious mental illness and often a barrier to making any real productive changes to your life, including exercising. If you can make time and energy to exercise, even if it's a long walk, it will help quite a bit.

Wellbutrin, for me, was a life saver, quite literally. It has allowed me to become a functional person again. I've lost about 30 lbs since starting it too, so for me, no adverse weight gain effects. I did, however, have heart palpitations and an increase in anxiety that faded after about a month, though there is lingering increased anxiety. The heart palpitations were scary but benign and harmless, and went away entirely once I got used to the medication. I also had a lot of food aversions and a difficult time eating enough to keep me going at first. This side effect also faded in time, and I am now eating plenty and able to function well.

Make sure you follow up with your doctor regularly to adjust dosage once you're up to a therapeutic dose. It may take you several attempts to get your dosage correct, so be patient and make as many positive changes as you can manage along the way.

I wish you all the best.
  • Needachange84
    Needachange84 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I was on wellbutrin at one point and while it did help, I didn't feel like taking meds daily was what I wanted to be doing. So I got out and start walking/working out and that was probably the smartest decision I have made!! It helps to relieve stress so much and helps as a confidence booster :)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    A number of years ago I was on antidepressants while also in therapy. It took several different ones to find one that didn't give me unbearable side effects and the best they ever did for me was make me less severely depressed. They were an aid, but therapy was my solution to depression and PTSD.

They are the type of medication that really require trial and error. People respond differently. What works well for someone may do nothing for another. Work closely with your doctor.

I highly recommend therapy. It can give you many tools to deal with depression. Regular exercise, enough sleep, and any stress reducing actions can also be a big help.

Good luck to you!
  • SapiensPisces
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The general advice I give to friends who are going through a rough time is to narrow the focus of your life to what is the most important. Even if it is to get you through the next fifteen minutes, do that. Nobody can carry the world on their shoulders forever.

This is also excellent advice.
  • myndikins
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice – its taken me a little while to work my way through all the posts! You’re all wonderful and helpful and I appreciate it so much.

I’m not sure where to start. I have been trying all the little tips and tricks, but its just really been overwhelming for the last several months. I have more than I can cope with, no matter what I do and I feel like I’m at the point that I need to ask for help before I get really bad. I’ve never been at a point where I’ve considered any sort of antidepressant before, but like I said, I’m out of ideas. It really isn’t even something that is caused by my weight issues – there is a lot more to it and I don’t want it to sound like I’m just looking for a quick solution. I hate the idea of turning to medication, but until I can get everything else under control, it might help.

Exercise is helping some, but not nearly enough. Today, for instance, my pup and I went on a walk for about half an hour. We can’t really go any farther than we did because the neighbors on either side have aggressive loose dogs. When we made it back home, I still felt like crap so we headed up the mountain behind the house and hiked around for two hours. Finally came back in after she jumped in the deep end of the creek and got cold. Like I said, it helps for a little bit. I do rely on my dog a lot to "help" and she does. She cuddles during panic attacks and tries her hardest to cheer me up. The last time I had a really bad day, we went to a local playground and walked laps and climbed on the playground equipment until it got dark. Before that, 3 miles at the walking track. She's great, but like everything else, just not enough.
    The problem with depression is, you stop taking care of yourself so the depression deepens as your health goes south.
    You summed it up perfectly. I'm finding myself in a bad cycle.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    While it shouldnt be done without trying other options first (like exercise, talking, coping skills etc), if you need medication for awhile there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I cant count how many times I heard - why cant you just be happy? Its not really a "decision", and people who have not been there do not always get it.

If you think you need meds, talk to your doctor - and dont see it as any kind of failure - see it as taking control of your health (mental and physical). Its like any other medication - you work with your doctor to figure out what you need, you take it for as long as you need to (for life in some cases) and you dont take it when you and your doctor agree you no longer need it.

At one point I asked my doctor to give me something because I was constantly yelling at my son, for no real reason... It was upsetting him and me and I couldnt seem to control it. At that point, I did not care to figure out the "why" I was doing it - I *needed* it to stop FIRST, then I could take my time and work out the WHY part. So I took the meds for nearly a year, while I worked out why it was happening. When I no longer thought I needed it, I tapered off (with supervision). I have gone back to it a few times, but sometimes you just need some relief immediately, since other options like therapy can take a long time to see results.

Good luck
  • ereilly311
    ereilly311 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've also had a horrible 2014 and at times have had more to deal with than I could cope with. I have struggled with depression for years now and about two years ago I finally talked to my doctor about it and got put on a low dose of lexapro. I can't tell you if it worked or not because I never took it regularly (part of my reason I was depressed was because of all the medicine I have to take for being as young as I am). This past year a lot of my depression was caused by the physical pain I was constantly in and everything I had to deal with because of that, and my doctor tested me for vitamin D deficiency and came back that I was deficient. I started taking a vitamin D supplement daily, and I will say that has definitely helped! I'm not saying I'm magically better, but it has definitely helped me improve. So that may be something you could try out before you go to your doctor since you can't get in for a while.
  • SapiensPisces
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree with the above posters. There is no shame in taking medication to help with this. People who have not had major depression do not understand that it's not a lack of willpower that is a barrier to feeling better; it is a real medical illness, often brought on by external stress, but sometimes not.

Please do not think you are "weak" for doing what you need to do to get yourself mentally healthy. It's no different than someone with a physical ailment needing medication to treat it. "Weak" would be NOT doing what you need to do to get yourself healthy.
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Start going for short walks...then wake your walks a little longer like 45mins.
    after about 3 weeks you will feel better.
    To get things going start by just walking around the house for 5 mins....Now your on your way You need to take that fist step... go for It!
  • funsteps
    funsteps Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I took generic zoloft for a while a few years ago. I found it suppressed my appetite quite a bit, but I'm not sure how typical that is. I took it with b12 supplements to counteract the grogginess. My issue was (is) chronic depression and anxiety. I personally did not feel like it made a huge difference for me and I couldn't really afford to keep up with the doctor's visits and cost of medication (I was 19 and in college at the time and didn't want to ask my parents for help).

I have had a pretty rough couple of months and I was feeling horrible and unmotivated constantly. I'd stay in bed all day on my days off, and hit my bed the second I got home on work days. The change in weather and not getting very much sun didn't help. I've definitely felt a huge difference since I started eating better and exercising regularly- but I know that getting into a routine like that can feel 100% impossible if you're in a rut. And clearly, it may not work for everyone because we're all different.

I truly hope you find something that works for you, whether it be medication or something else. Like others have said, there's nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to reaching out for help, including starting on a medication.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    clinical depression is a health issue, just as diabetes is a health issue. you get it properly treated, you live normally. you don't treat it properly, it's a risk to your life.

i've had depression since i was 8 years old but was not diagnosed til i was 28. i've been on a variety of medications of different classes, and wellbutrin was the ONLY one that did not make me gain weight. seems i gained 20 lbs for each of the others. talk to your doctor and feel no shame. you'll get this. you just need the right treatment.

part of that treatment is an improved diet, so follow MFP's guidelines for not only macronutrients but micronutrients as well.