Exercising with constant foot pain

Options
Hi all, looking for some advice:

I began my weight loss journey 1.5 years ago using fitness pal and running, having never run before I started off slowly and built my running up to 5k every other day, weight loss was fantastic 2 stone in a year which I was pleased with. I started getting a pain in the arch of my foot 6 months ago and it was so painful I stopped running all together. I thought that resting my foot would enable it to get better (thought I had pulled a muscle or strained it somehow) anyhow 6 months on and the pain is causing constant pain every time a walk, its really ruiened my weight loss, its all gone back on and I feel so frustraited and lazy. Anyone had a similar problem and can recommend any excercises or solutions?

I have a docs appointment next week but I have been putting off going for so long as i had been hoping it was just temporary and didn't want to waste the doctors time :(

Thanks in advance

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of leg and foot pain from walking (I don't run). I got into swimming as an alternative, and now can exercise a million times more intensely than I ever could upright.

It's not for everyone, but it is AN option.
  • joneechristy
    Options
    This is purely anecdotal... I get a bit of foot pain too, but lately I've been rotating between more pairs of shoes on different days, instead of one pair everyday, and I think it has actually helped. Maybe rotating between different types of shoes kind of gives your feet a bit of a work out or something, and leads to stronger hardier feet. I don't know if that'll work for you but it's worth a shot...
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If it's in the bottom of your foot, it could possibly be Plantar Fasciitis or a heel spur. Neither of those is going to get better on its own. See a doctor and get a rehab plan going. Normally, they recommend exercises to stretch the tissues and anti-inflammatories.

I was just diagnosed with a heel spur related to PF, and I was forced to stop running for about a month. With exercise and medication, I've been able to start running again with minimal pain.

Best of luck to you! :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Arch foot pain from running sounds very suspiciously like plantar fasciitis. Which, yes, takes forever to get better on its own. Is it worse in the morning when you wake up?

If it is PF, some things you can do:

-wear a PF splint or Strassburg sock overnight, to stretch your calf muscle and plantar fascia
    -roll a lacrosse ball or spiky PF ball (Amazon has some) underneath your sore foot. This stretches the tendons AND gets blood flowing to the area, which is necessary for healing. A big reason PF takes so long to heal is the lack of blood flow in everyday activity.
    -for strengthening, use your toes to pick up and put down a towel, pick up and put down the lacrosse ball, and trace letters of the alphabet
    -stretch the heck out of your calf muscles! A foam roller or The Stick can help. Also a stair stretch, where you stand with your toe on the step, your heel hanging off, and lower yourself down (not very far, haha) until you feel a stretch. A wall stretch, where you rest your heel on the ground, the ball of your foot on the wall, and lean forward until you feel a stretch

While you are waiting for it to get better, have you thought about alternative exercises? I generally think biking (road or indoor spin) feels *good* when I've got a touch of PF. If you have access to a pool, you could also try pool running. (Don't knock it til you try it--if you push yourself, it can be as hard a cardio workout as regular running, but without the impact!)
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Sounds like plantar fasciitis to me, too, but always good to check with your doctor. I got rid of mine by wearing cushioned shoes/sandals all the time, even around the house, and stretching my calves and hamstrings three times a day. It went away in about 2 weeks. I am still susceptible so stretch them daily. (I lean against the kitchen or bathroom counter with the front knee bent and the back leg outstretched straight when waiting for the toaster, microwave, when brushing my teeth, etc.) You can also buy little rubber spiky balls at running stores or use a golf ball and keep it in the freezer. Just rolling it under the arch will help to break up the fascia. If you can feel a hard lump or ball on your foot, then it's most likely plantar fasciitis.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Alternative exercise you could try include exercise bike or rowing machine (my own personal faves since I'm recovering from knee surgery and not ready to run yet). If you have a HRM you can find what sort of effort level you need for each to get a good workout.

I had plantar fasciitis about 2 years ago. It's gone now and I think losing weight had a lot to do with it, but I also started wearing Birkenstock sandals for very high arches around the house (hardwood floors, no rugs) and they really helped to stretch the ligaments without actively having to do anything.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Have you been to a running or specialty shoe store to be measured/pronation checked? A proper pair of shoes can make a huge difference in healing time.