WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I will no longer characterize my location as "chilly" or "cold" now that I've heard from Lillian in NW Saskatchewan and Lin 750 miles north of Toronto. My cold mornings have been -5 C. and that's cold enough for me right now.

I found the answer to keeping a private diary on MFP...on the home page where you get when you log in ( the one with your picture and the newsfeed) near the top it says "My Blog"....click on that and you can write your own diary......on the right side of the page there are tools and one of them is "preferences" and you can choose to have your blog seen only by you.

:D We are off on a day long adventure (actually an all day meeting) tomorrow on the other side of Puget Sound which requires catching the 7 AM ferry and being out of the house by 5 AM to pick up our passengers, make the 90 minute drive, and park the car so we can walk onto the ferry. I'll be taking a shower soon, getting to bed early, and getting up early enough to walk the dogs their usual 30 minutes before breakfast and 90 minutes after. Fortunately Jake will drive so I can nap in the car, if needed. :D

:mrgreen: merrywait, one of the things I learned here was how to say "no thank you" to food that I had not planned to eat, and how to ask people to not give me food gifts....keep coming back and you'll find the tools you need to sidestep the traps at work.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
    My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

January Resolutions
    *walk 18,500 steps a day
    *strength training twice a week smiley-sport017.gif
    *review our will and documents of personal information
    *don't expect praise or recognition
    *learn and teach two new dances

146200.png

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    Good night everyone! :flowerforyou:

I am happily exhausted from all my guests, but I think it all went well. DSIL will be gone in the morning after an early breakfast and we will make a beeline for our machines to do our workout. I only missed my exercising for today throughout the whole holidsy, so I am proud of that. We did manage to walk to the pub tonight so clocked up an hour's brisk walk.
    It will be nice to get back to my regular routine tomorrow.

DH has been very under the weather with the cold he caught off me. He lost his voice tonight.

Sylvia - hope your sickness goes away! :flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie - My sympathies! Grown up children can be amazingly frustrating. You can't do it for them. I wouldn't want to spend any extended time with either of my sons. :noway: Today DH'S daughter brought her new boyfriend to visit. One afternoon was about the right time! :laugh: You love them, but you don't always like them. I can only stand most people in small doses! ! ! :laugh:

Welcome again to all the new people. :flowerforyou: Stick with it. I have been maintaining for a year and I still log my exercise and food every single day. :bigsmile:

Time for sleep. Heather in coldish Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Wahhhhhhh! I just got done with the flu. This isn't fair!

Just wanted to crawl out of my death bed to say welcome to all the new ladies! I hope you will stay with us.

Sylvia
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Didn't feel well today. But still managed to eat my allotted calories and walk 5,000 steps. Still at a 500 calorie deficit today. I'll call that good enough. Heading to be early.

Diana in Northeast Indiana
  • merrywait
    Options
    Hi all! Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to an amazing year! :D

Betsy in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,685 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.45min 15amph, 3m
    jog- 17.49min, 8.55ap, 6.6-10sp, 2mi
    lateral machine- 10min, 16fl, 4laps, 14lvl, 9lat, 1mi
    ride gym 2 dome- 8.49min, 9.9amph 1.4mi
    ride dome 2 hm- 20.48min 7.8amph 2.7mi, windy
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    My doctors visit was good this morning. My BP is finally under control but I spent the rest of the day with a nasty stomach ache. Hopefully I will feel well enough tomorrow to do the painting.

Robin Bodi and Ritter
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Busy day at work - I seem to be swimming in invoicing!
    Gail, metro ATL
  • SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Still eating to many left over Christmas sweets. Thanks for starting the new page.
    Sue from Tennessee
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I have a question for all of you VIL's. (that's very intelligent ladies :smiley: )
    Do any of you have any low calorie desserts that you make? I don't normally eat sweets, but sometimes I just get a little sweet tooth. I normally satisfy that with fruit but thought some of you may have an idea to share. I think they make diet pudding, don't they? What do I know.

Thanks,
    Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Got to visit my friend in the hospital.She was pretty doped up and tired,but glad I went
    Good night
    hugs jane
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all those who are new and welcome back to those who have been away! I hope all of you find this site as supportive as I do.

To all of you (and there seems to be more every day) who are having plumbing problems, you have my deepest sympathy! Been there, done that...hope it never happens again! Good luck. I hope all gets fixed soon.

Flowerbaby2 – Sending hugs your way. I hope that you find a way to take care of yourself. You’re so right that if you don’t do that, then soon you will be unable to take care of your family.

Heather – The crumpets look delicious! Thanks for posting!

Linda – You can set the alarm on the fitbit site. I can’t figure out why it keeps losing your data though. There’s a toll free number to call on the FitBit site or you can email them. They might be able to help. Good luck! I keep logging my calories burned on MFP and my FitBit keeps removing them by inputting negative calories burned. Ugh. I just read where I should be logging my exercise on the FitBit site and not on the MFP site. I guess I'll try that instead starting tomorrow.

Joyce – You’re appearing under another username again. I wonder what’s up…

Marywait – Welcome! I think you’ll enjoy this site. There are several women here who have lost and maintained their weight despite the challenges of cooking wonderful meals or temptations. Hopefully, they can give you some suggestions for that school nurse (size 1) who brings those treats! LOL! I’m afraid I’m not there yet!  Congratulations on getting the new knees. I’m guessing that it’s still a little difficult walking, but I’ll bet in a little while you will feel like new!

Yanniejannie – I’m so sorry about the drama with your daughter. I know that you will get back to your goal weight. So proud of you for taking that hard step today and getting on the scale. I know it was a challenge.

Margaret – Such beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing. It brings a bit of beauty and life to this dreary winter!

Pipcd34 – You’re right; Yogi is adorable.

Rita – You sound like you’ve got this! I am so impressed that you made a day/week/month plan for how you’re going to achieve them. I read about how people attain their goals and that’s the exact method they described. Good luck!

Meg – I’m sorry that the knee is acting up! I was hoping you were going to really enjoy all that dancing. Hope the cyst heals soon. Is it a Baker’s cyst?

Today, was my DSIL's father's funeral. My DD#1 called me to let me know how things went. We discussed sending a plant or tree, but she and her DH felt that it would be months before they are able to plant anything in Colorado. She said they don't recommend planting anything outside until May. So, instead, I found a memorial stone for both her and her hubby and one for her mother-in-law. I, also, sent a basket with plants. She was very pleased with what I had sent and is looking forward to getting the memorial stones for them to set in their respective yards. It was such a difficult day for all of them. I wanted so badly to be there. I'm very grateful for my DSIL's parents. They have been wonderful in-laws to my daughter. We always used to say that we wished we all lived closer because we would love to visit with one another more. Please keep them in your prayers.

DD#1 is, also, expecting their second child in a few days. Apparently, the baby is breach and is unable to be turned so they will be performing a section on January 11th. I have been at the births of all my other grandchildren, except her son. I wish so much I could be there, but I'm grateful her mother-in-law will be and that her sister now lives with her and her hubby and will be there, too. DD#2 and I are both RNs, so I feel very comfortable with her being there. I just want to be there, too! She keeps saying, "Mom, you're going to be here when I really need you; after the baby is born." We're flying up on January 23rd and will be there for a week. I know she's right, but the mom in me really, really wants to be there.

It's amazing how I make these goals and then the very next day, I'm on the verge of breaking them. Three of my grandchildren (the ones who live near me) slept over last night. Of course, the 6 year old and 7 year old DGD's wanted to stay up with Nana and watch a movie. DH has put the 21 month old DGS in the PackNPlay to sleep, then he went to bed because he had to work today. I felt so sorry for him because when it was time to go to bed the girls both cried and wanted to sleep with us. So, I had one sleeping in one arm and the other sleeping in the other arm. About 2:00 am our 21 month old DGS started to cry. I couldn't get out of bed without awakening the girls so I asked DH to get him. He was brought into our bed as well. Glad we have a king sized bed! :wink: This morning I had the girls sleeping in each arm and the 21 month old sleeping on my head. I couldn't move! LOL! Got up and fixed the breakfast they and their mom asked me to fix. DD#3 left crescent rolls in the refrigerator when she and her hubby left last night so that I could put scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese in them. I don't generally keep those in my house. In fact, I make sure not to every buy them because I love to eat them. Before I knew it, I had eaten the banana that DGS refused to eat, the crescent rolls that the girls didn't want to eat, etc. Later in the day, I decided to make them a treat. DGS is allergic to milk products and he's been asking me for "cookies, Nana". So I made some low sugar, milk free, pineapple upside down muffins. Of course, I had to eat them. (Heather, I want to be like you!!!) Now, I understand why I gained so much weight when they all lived with me for several months. Ugh! Thankfully, I made myself log everything, but it definitely wasn't my most healthy day even though I managed to eat under my calories...just barely.

Then there's that FitBit thing! I've been logging my exercise in MFP, but I read a blog tonight that says I should log it on the FitBit site instead. Every time that I log exercise, by the end of the day, FitBit has taken every calorie burned away. Seriously, I worked hard for those! LOL! I'm going to try tomorrow to start logging the exercise on the FitBit site and see if it makes a difference.

I have to say that despite not having gotten any of my work done, I had a ball with the kids. I put on the exercises and even my adorable 21 month old DGS was exercising. He would look at us and look at the TV and do his best to mimic the moves. It was priceless! I love it when he looks at me, holds his arms up, and says, "I take you Nana!" What can I say, those grandchildren have me wrapped around their little fingers. I just love them so much!

Not the greatest of days, food-wise, but tomorrow is another day and I aim to do better!

Night all! Hugs to everyone!

Barb from South Louisiana
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It took some time to read through all these posts. I am inspired by all the goals you have shared. Reflecting on the steps I need to keep being successful in this journey.

Welcome to all the new ladies. I'm fairly new here and feel very much at home.
    Toni from Ohio - I am Toni, too! We have about the same amount to lose. Hope I can encourage you, and you me.

Katla - Congrats on the Ducks' win! I have a granddaughter at FSU. She is a huge Alabama fan so she was actually hoping the Ducks would win so she wouldn't have divided loyalties in the championship game. Now Alabama's out and she is very blue!

Time to get a little sleep
    TNToni
  • knjiuv
    knjiuv Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Been a very busy but prod time and fun day. Kids got in ay about the same time as the plumber was finished. They were real nice and even put our fence back up for which was not in the contract. One bad thing is I forgot to eat. Bad girl. Then I was so tired I ate the wrong thing at Bob Evans. had blue berry pancakes. Michelle's boyfriend went to eat with us. He and my DIL could be brothersx from another mother. It is crazy when they are together. And you put them with our two daughters who I have had to 'ground' sometimes when they are together, there is a lot of silliness. Then came back to the house and had our first annual Christmas. We have just always opened all our gifts with the rest of the family and ours just kind of get lost in the bedlam. Ellie the youngest said that we sure did give her a bunch or presents. It was only 4 but I don't think she has ever really known. Trinity the oldest is now taller than me. I got her a size 1 skinny jean. My daughter asked if I fealized she wouldn't be able to wear them until she was 15. They fit perfectly. I also got her knee hi riding boots and a pretty dress and she is in heaven. With the skinny jeans and boots she even looked taller. We all are in bed much earlier. I usually go to bed at 2am only. Thing that wrong is that our bathroom downstairs still won't work, don't know what is wrong. Ellie has one speed, fast. So when she wakes up at 6 am she comes up the stairs and the whole house knows she is up. I was looking forward to her staying downstairs to potty. Night night, big day tomorrow and another bad day , no a challenging day which I will try to eat decent tomorrow. Won't promise good but decent.

Joyce, Indiana. I am writing from iPad and do t know if that makes any difference in the name
  • luvmygolden
    Options
    Morning All,
    Thanks all for the words of encouragement! What a great thread, this is truly a blessing.

DamItJanet, My trainer recommended (and also saw on Dr Oz) 72% Coco Chocolate. I am working my way off of sugar (and caffeine) and found a small piece of this chocolate provides the satisfaction of a treat and is not too sweet. Looking forward to also hearing what everyone else has found to work.

Enjoy your Saturday!
    Jill
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Heather: I'm with you: "I can only stand most people in small doses!" :)

Sylvia: sending virtual soup your way.

Jane: good that you were able to see your friend.

Yanniejannie: {hug}

After having about ten days off we're easing back into the idea of schedule again. Next week I have a conversation at work about the future (!) and my guy is officially moving in. Also, it's my dog's six-week chiropractor appointment. That's two hours away, so we make a day of it and have lunch there (the mustard soup I mentioned earlier!). So it is a pretty busy week.

I went to the gym yesterday and didn't do badly on the food. Today will be more of a challenge since I'm not going to the gym and it's raining outside, so biking just for fun is kind of out.

Hope everyone has a good day! :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia

54053224.png
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Just a quick post to mark the thread.

:o 5 pages already, what a good start to the year. I've just skimmed the posts (sorry!) as I need to get a start on the day.

I was back at work yesterday and must admit to being a bit nervous. It was a quiet day thank goodness and although I couldn't remember how to do a few things, I thought about it and it came back to me. I was tired at the end of the day though, and would have left early if my work colleague had not taken the day off.

I was fine during the day at work, I even went home at lunchtime to check on the dog, but for some reason walking home at the end of the day I found myself getting very weepy and cried all the way home - goodness knows what people thought, luckily I had a hat and big scarf wrapped around me so maybe they didn't notice. I was a bit emotional all night and even this morning find myself filling up at the slightest thing.

Well I should get on time is running away with me, I need to do my 10 min exercise before starting on the chores. That is the only "goal" I have given myself this new year, to do 10 mins every day. I'm using the 10 min videos on Sparkpeople. They are very good.

Love to all <3

Viv York UK (dark and damp even though its nearly 10:30 am)
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi Viv, sounds familiar (forgetfulness and roller-coaster emotions). It's part of the whole thing. Give yourself lots of room!
  • herestoanewme03
    herestoanewme03 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to us All! <3
    My goal for this year is to stay consistent. This is a huge one for me as I know how to lose weight- books, programs, etc..I've been try for 16 years to do it. I go along just fine and then...I feel good and in come the celebration 1, 2, 3+ scoops of ice cream or 2 chips turns into 1/2 the bag.

I hope to lose 40lbs by August but, I'm not sure that is doable...
    Goals for January:
    less computer/iPad time
    Drink 64 oz of water every day
    Move- walk or gym 2-3 times a week
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    (((Wizzywig)))