Food Addiction

Options
I wasn't too sure where to post this, I'm sure it falls under support!

It's a new year and I've done what many people tend to do - make a new year resolution to lose weight, however, it's the 2nd Jan and I find that I haven't put my foot on the gas pedal yet...more like a toe.

I looked up food addiction on the internet, something which I haven't thought to do before, and my behaviour with food certainly fits into an addiction. Looking at several websites, I fit into every category:

- I can't eat in moderation. Give me a chocolate bar and tell me to eat one square a day. No chance. Might not eat the WHOLE thing, but it definitely won't be one piece.
- I constantly make excuses for overeating.
- I crave food even after eating a hearty meal. I could be full, but still crave something afterwards. Because this has been going on for years, I feel like my night wouldn't be complete without eating something sweet after dinner, and I need this thinking to stop.
- I continue to eat even when I'm full, or when plate is empty. I was one of those children that was told that it was impolite to leave anything on my plate.
- I sneak food and feel ashamed by it.

I need to overcome all of these things. I'm not sure how, and that's why I'm posting this. Has anyone else fallen into a food addiction or overcome it? If so, I'd like to hear how :)

Replies

• ereilly311
    ereilly311 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have the same problem. I always just thought that I could eat healthy if I really wanted to, I just made poor choices. But it seems like I'm always craving things, even if it doesn't even make me feel good once I eat it. I need to figure out how to get over this addiction also!
  • ADeveaux123
    Options
    I can relate ladies. I don't know if my issues stem from an addiction or the fact that I just love food. I don't think any of us should try to steer away from food but learn how to control it. That's the hurdle.
  • MarkItZero
    MarkItZero Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's very common. The label of "addiction" is tricky, because it's typically associated with things are more objectively bad for you (crack, alcoholism, etc.), whereas food is a necessary part of life. But yes, people can be addicted to food, and many, many people are.

To learn more about the subject and what you can do to combat the "addiction" to food, I recommend The Hunger Fix. Another good book that handles the psychological side of eating is The Beck Diet Solution.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I've never had a bad relationship with food, but I did have the challenge of learning moderation!

It takes a lot of willpower. I'm talking a ridiculous amount of willpower. If you can't eat something in moderation, don't have it in the house. If it's not there, there's no way you can overindulge on it.

Secondly, I've found that preportioning out chips, cookies, snacks, ect is a great tool as well. I generally weigh out my foods on my food scales before I eat them, rather than eat straight out of the box. You have portion control that way. If it helps; for instance, say you have a serving of Oreos in a bag; write down the calories and macros on the bag as well. If you're tempted to go back for another serving, you have a visual of what you are able to consume, and you can make a better decision as to whether or not you can fit it into your day.

If you're craving foods, I think it's time to take a good hard look at your intake. Make sure you are hitting your fat and protein macros, as these will help keep you fuller longer. If you're eating a lot of foods which are high calorie and low in the good stuff that keeps you full, this could be the culprit. Focus on protein taking up a good portion of your plate.

In regards to clearing your plate; that's fine too! Make sure you have a good balance of foods on your plate, and eat slowly. Take slow bites. Enjoy the food. Stop before you hit that point of being "full".

Given that you're sneaking food and feeling guilt, and also are making excuses for your intake, speaking to a therapist about this will be beneficial as well. You want to find the root to your problem, while practicing the above steps.

Learning moderation and making better choices is tough. Really tough! It takes a lot of trial and error as well. But finding help with someone who can help you evaluate your relationship with food, while also learning how to control your food (rather than it controlling you) will be key to your journey.

Good luck!

• erikwwikstrom
    erikwwikstrom Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh, I know food addiction too, Tiranoua. You are not alone. And while MarkItZero makes a good point in adding the quotation marks -- "addiction" -- it's also true that the same chemical processes can often be at work within us food addicts as within, for instance alcoholics. And if we're talking about fast food ... well ... it's been shown that some of the same brain centers light up when people are eating fast food as when people are using cocaine. Addiction, indeed. So remember, you're not alone and there are lots of folks who'd be glad to support you.

Oh ... one more thing ... missiontofitness makes the point that this all takes an enormous amount of willpower. To the extent that this IS actually an addiction for you, willpower alone isn't enough. Neither are good intentions. In fact, when we think that "if I only had more willpower I could beat this," we often end up feeling more depressed about ourselves and, more than likely, we'll turn around and eat something.

Overeater's Anonymous can be very helpful with all of this. Not for everyone, of course, but it has really helped some people.

Peace
  • Octopodidae
    Options
    Man, I have been going about three months with my lifestyle changes, and let me tell you... I am with you.

I grew up with alcoholic parents, and watched my mother relapse several times with both alcohol and smoking. Addiction ruins lives, and one of the few ways to manage it is to quit your vice altogether. Problems surrounding food aren't that way; you can't just stop eating.

Personally, I do not call this problem a food addiction. Words are powerful, and while I do think the behaviour and thoughts behind it would definitely fall into that category, it's a problem that is handled in a completely different way. That is just my thing, but for me, calling it an unhealthy relationship for food or even disordered eating can totally help shift things in the right direction. Maybe not for you, but it helped me shift things in the right direction.

That said, everybody's trigger or cause for it is very individual. Food is social, personal, celebratory, comforting... it fits into almost every occasion, mostly depending on your history and culture. For example, I grew up in the Midwest, where eating and meals go hand-in-hand with community. A lot of emphasise on comfort food and large portions. And you have to start pulling yourself away from that... retraining your behaviour. Do you overeat only when you're alone? Try to have meals with another person. Does stress make you feel hungry? Occupy yourself and get as far away from the kitchen as possible!

My advice: start the changes off slow. Start by just writing down everything you eat, get an idea of what your habits are and all that. Additionally, there are some studies floating around that suggest just logging your food helps you make better eating decisions. Try drinking more water throughout the day, too. Everybody says it, I know, but hydration is vital to living. Minor dehydration can often cause feelings of hunger to boot, along with headaches and difficulty sleeping. After that? Make small goals and add to them slowly. Tell yourself you'll eat 100 less calories than you normally would. Maybe aim to have one less gram of sugar. It helps keep the momentum going strong to have little victories.

Other than that, all I can say is to not be too hard on yourself. People can make diet and life changes sound simple when they can really be very painful and inconvenient. You aren't a machine; you are allowed to make mistakes and go at your own pace. This isn't something you need to do alone, but it's absolutely for you and you alone. Making yourself way more miserable and tired than need be isn't necessary! You're still a lovely individual no matter what. :smile:
  • reginastiffler
    reginastiffler Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There might not be evidence that a specific food, such as sugar, is addictive, but there is evidence that overeating is a form of addiction. For example: Barry, D., Clarke, M., & Petry, N. M. (2009). Obesity and Its Relationship to Addictions: Is Overeating a Form of Addictive Behavior?. American Journal On Addictions, 18(6), 439-451.
  • kaydoh2014
    kaydoh2014 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Actuallly there is real evidence that gluten-containing foods ARE addictive. Pick up a copy of "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, M.D. Gluten works on the same part of the brain as opiates. And now that the food pyramid has been changed to include more grains, we are all consuming far more gluten than we did 10 years ago. I started going gluten-free because I have Fibromyalgia, some of the symptoms of which are worsened by consuming foods with gluten. While I am not by any means gluten-free, I AM gluten-light, and it has made a difference in a lot of things for me. Once I started eating less wheat products, my cravings across the board - not just for carbs - started to get far more manageable. I am NOT saying that gluten is evil for all people, but I do think it's a good thing to experiment with having less of it in your diet.

Being here on MFP is a HUGE first step, and you will be so glad you took it! That right there is a sure sign that you're more motivated than you're giving yourself credit for! Log your food and exercise honestly, otherwise it won't work. The simple act of logging your food makes you far more aware of the things you put in your body, and especially if you have an open food diary (which I don't), you will want to eat smarter because you know others can see what you're eating and commend you for it, or point out where you went wrong.

It's just like alcholism...the first step has to be admitting you have a problem. You've now admitted that, which means it's time for the next step..taking control.

You can do this!! And people are here to help you whenever you need it! Feel free to send me a friend invite - MFP friends make so much difference!
  • irishdoc71
    irishdoc71 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I have had my own issues with food that I continue to work on daily. I am also an addiction counselor. My clients are addicted to drugs and alcohol so I modified what I teach to adapt to me and how I am with food. There are studies now that discuss how sugar (or the pleasure from it) hits the same receptor in your brain as heroin. Many opiate addicts will injest a large quantity of sugar when going through detox and sometimes there after. For my clients we teach stay away from people,places and things. You can modify this..stay away from places such as fast food. Prepare your own meals (even ahead of time) and do not eat on the run. Stay away from things that are processed and high in sugar (including sodas, Starbucks coffee, high sugary snacks). In recovery we talk about how you have to change your behaviors and thoughts. It not just what you are consuming, but also activity level, stress level, sleep, overall health, and your self esteem. Think of your body as temple or something you absolutely love, now ask yourself would you throw dirt, paint, rocks and other things that will degrade and destroy it? Apply that image to you.

It is tough, I have my ups and downs but I also don't beat myself up anymore when I slip. I learn from it and love myself for starting again and achieving what I have already done.

I hope this helps someone.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Please could everybody remember that this is the support and motivation area of the forum. As such all replies should be aimed at supporting and motivating each other along on our individual journeys.

If you find that you disagree with a particular subject and find that you wouldn't be able to make a positive contribution to the discussion, please move on from the topic without replying.

Arguments on these forums are counter-productive and help nobody.

Thank-you to everybody making positive contributions and I wish Tiranoua all the very best of success in getting support with the issue that brings her to the MFP forums.

Kind Regards,

Adam,
    MFP Greeter for Motivation and Support
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I also took the quiz about signs of food addiction and it was like the whole thing was written with me in mind. I don't really care if one calls it "addiction", the point is the problem areas of eating. The impulses are VERY strong.

Speaking for myself, something "clicked" in me when I talked to my doctor about my weight. (I brought it up, she didn't). She said something to me about living in shame over my eating habits and that really resonated with me. I decided to challenge myself to only eating food I would be OK being seen to eat. No more running to convenience stores every afternoon to buy my daily binge, and sneak it into the house. This principle has really helped me focus on eating healthier foods! I would not have believed it just a few months ago.
  • allie0630
    allie0630 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I actually searched for this thread. What ever you want to call it, physiological, psychological, I don't care but that is my biggest challenge. I LOVE food and definitely eat until I am completely full and I also crave something sweet after I eat. Any suggestions would be great. If you want to add me as a friend so we can tackle this together, please do. Also, having kids at home and a pile of chocolate and cookie dough in fridge is making this MUCH harder.
  • Jill814
    Jill814 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    oh SAME boat!! love to eat, i just realize that is what my problem is, i love food, love the way it taste and yes i have become dependent on it for comfort usually when im bored or stressed. its an every day battle for me. i have found when eating "clean" that it does help me. i try to make sure i have a lot of protien and then veggies (which i am NOT a fan of at all). i think its the hardest addiction to kick. take it one meal at a time. you got this. drink lots of water too. if you think you are hungry, drink a glass of water wait 15 mins still hungry then have a lil something.
  • Tiranoua
    Tiranoua Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    keziak1 wrote: »
    I decided to challenge myself to only eating food I would be OK being seen to eat.

Oh wow. That's put it in a way I haven't thought of before, very clever! Will have to think of that next time I'm craving :)

• celeronpm
    celeronpm Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    3 years ago I decided to see a therapist to help with my 'food' addiction.

I threw away all 'bad' foods such as junk food, planned and packed all meals, and had a sharp focus on exercise. Additionally, my wife was focused on the same goals, and we ended up loosing a lot of weight together (it really helps if you have a partner - you can't be disconnected with major habit changes such as fitness/eating/smoking/etc...)

I was able to loose 80 lbs (300 down to 220), get into duathlons, 10k's, lifting, etc... I was in the best shape of my life and loved it!

I eventually decided that I can continue the routine without help since I knew EXACTLY what I needed to do to keep going. I stopped seeing my therapist and kept the ship afloat for a few months.

Unfortunately, like any addiction, the slightest mist-step can spiral you back into your addictive behaviors. Just like one beer to an alcoholic, or one cigarette to a smoker, your addiction can spring back up immediately.

Before I knew it I was frequenting taco-bell, carl's jr, etc... all due to a drive that was just there (sometimes hunger, sometimes boredom, more of than than not, a hollow, inexplicable need/desire to eat crap). I was completely cognizant of my decisions but always made an excuse (I'll get back on track tomorrow, this can't be that bad, etc...)

I am now back up 64lbs, having ruined most of my progress, and realize that food addiction is just as serious as any other addiction and takes a lot of work to get and keep under control.

You will have a better chance at succeeding by seeing a professional, at least for a little which, that can keep you accountable and give you the tools to deal with your cravings.

Once you reach your goal it will be constant work to ensure you don't veer back to the bad habits, that you continue keeping yourself accountable, etc....

Addiction is a lifelong battle and it takes work to keep it under control. Loosing the weight is easy once you get started, keeping it off in the long run is the challenge in my opinion.

00hmBLI.png
  • texasrenee
    texasrenee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Food addiction is a very real thing. I even had bariatric surgery thinking that having a physical barrier to overeating would help and it hasn't really. I've been to a few seminars about food addiction and have seen numerous studies and scientific proof of the effect in our brain as a result of sugar. Most people's brains don't light up with sugar the way a food addict's does, it looks exactly like the brain of an heroine addict when exposed to heroine. I am currently registered for a five day rehab retreat in Minnesota at a rehab facility for my food addiction. I'm hoping to get this disease under control so that I can get through my recent pregnancy the healthiest I can.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I relapsed and went back to eating foods I would not want to be seen eating. I didn't gain it all back fortunately but lost my hard-fought battle to get into the 100s. All this time I've been seeing a therapist but either he doesn't get it or I am not listening hard enough to what he says, but it's not helping. He's very thin, himself, and super-rational about food whereas I am not rational. I've given it a lot of thought and for me I think it boils down to this: eating junk food makes me feel good (temporarily) and I want to feel good a lot. Since my parents were alcoholic smokers I do not drink or smoke or use recreational drugs. Instead I eat junk food at night. I'm back to trying to cut that out but it's evening right now and I would totally go for some junky food!
  • friendlygirl316
    friendlygirl316 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can relate too. I've been struggling with it ever since I was a kid.