Just about to lose my gym virginity!! haha

Options
So here I am dressed up in my gym clothes feeling like I look ridiculous.

I know its probably all in my head but I feel like people are going to be laughing at me like what's that fat girl doing in here? But its a gym for gods sake surely I have as much right to be there as the tanned toned size 6's or 8's I actually need to be there.

I have stomach ache as I worry about all my bits wobbling everywhere and me not knowing how to use any of the machines. Will someone show me around once I've signed up?

Wish me luck. I better go I'm not going to lose anything sat on my *kitten* playing on my tablet.

Hopefully I'll be posting later to say that I've had a great time and that there was nothing to worry about.

I also hope to make some friends on here and inspire people if lazy me with a back problem can do it you can haha so I have to do it now for you lot.

Feel free to add me.

Jackalinaballerina.

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to anyone - just be friendly and some people will respond; some will not. Also, people are all different weights, bodytypes, etc.

Everyone is self-absorbed at the gym. The friends I've made at the gym are primarily people I see when I'm at the gym - I know people make friends that expand past that, but that has not happened with me.

About feeling funny in gym clothes - get some that make you feel fabulous. If you're going to spend significant time there, it's worth making the investment. There are plenty of inexpensive places: TJMaxx or Old Navy, to name a couple. I'm a fitness pro, so I live in gym clothes. ;-)

And, BTW, you look fine. ;-D
  • tweekedgirl
    tweekedgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll love it!
    If you're just signing up, chances are you'll have to have an induction, which will be a member of staff who shows you round and that is an ideal time to ask any questions if there's any of the machines you're not too sure about.
    Also many gyms offer new members a free personal training session, which I'd definitely recommend you take up. You're under no obligation to carry on with them, but you get an hour in with a trainer who can devise a personal plan for you and make sure you're heading in the right direction.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I work in a gym, and if you are nervous January is a fab time to start. Loads of new people are there, all feeling the same.... The atmosphere is positive, everybody is filled with hope. You just keep plugging away, and next year you will wonder why you were nervous at all!
  • Darkhawk1969
    Darkhawk1969 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Trust meet everybody feels nervous their first time, even the guys. However nobody watches we are all focused on our own workouts. You will really enjoy it, just dont give up at the first hurdle, it takes a while to build a habit - all the best
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Gyms should offer you an induction when you join, where a member of staff will take you round and show you how to use everything to make sure you feel comfortable and will be working safely whilst you're there.
  • ThunderMonkeyy
    Options
    you'll be fine, just remember 'squats and oats'
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You don't need luck, you'll do great. Ask one of the staff to show you the elliptical or treadmill (great place to start).
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Ag gym is the most impersonal place on earth. Short of walking in naked, you will be invisible, for better or worse.
  • lewisdeanhughes
    lewisdeanhughes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Nobody will care one bit, just go do your thing :smile:
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hope you had fun!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    So here I am dressed up in my gym clothes feeling like I look ridiculous.
    I know its probably all in my head but I feel like people are going to be laughing at me like what's that fat girl doing in here? But its a gym for gods sake surely I have as much right to be there as the tanned toned size 6's or 8's I actually need to be there.

Yes, it is all in your head. Most of us at the gym don't notice others as we are so busy with our own workout. Personally, when I do notice someone out of shape at the gym, I remember my first days last year, and I (mentally) wish them luck and success. I have WAY more respect for someone overweight and at the gym, than someone overweight, sitting at home on the couch, scarfing down junk food and sugary drinks, complaining about how they can't lose any weight, no matter what they try.

Go for it!

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what other people think of you. Just walk into the gym like you own the place and if you need help using something just ask one of the staff. Best wishes. You can do it!
  • jackalinaballerina
    Options
    Thanks everyone :-D

You have definitely made me feel better.

I went to the gym all dressed up in my sexy gym outfit and a big bag full of stuff I probably didn't need lol

When I got there I was told that the membership and induction woman was off today so I couldn't have a go on anything.

But they showed me around and it looked great really good with hi tec machines that they seemed quitting simple to work out when he was showing me.

The dance studio was huge with mirrors and up to date music so that seemed cool, it reminded me how much I miss it (I used to do a lot of dancing and cheerleading when I was younger) and I've been in the pool there before its quite big with lots of lanes.

He also said he could make me a personalised plan to help me achieve my goals.

I really can't wait to get started now.

The staff were really friendly and the other people in the gym didn't even bat an eyelid as I walked around.

I left my details for the membership woman to call me when shes back on Monday so hopefully my induction will be next week.

I left there a really relieved but also a bit disappointed that I hadn't actually done anything so I went for a power walk in the hills around my house for 75 minutes :-)

Jackalinaballerina
  • jackalinaballerina
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You don't need luck, you'll do great. Ask one of the staff to show you the elliptical or treadmill (great place to start).

That's what I'm thinking of starting on treadmill and exercise bike. I'm getting a plan made for me though so I'll see what they say. X