Zumba... need quick help!

Options
anyone do zumba? I have just got the game for the wii and it is definitely a good workout, anyway, how many calories are used during a 30 min session?! I have no clue how to work it out!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you're really "workin' it" you should burn about 250 - 300 per 1/2 hour (500 - 600 per hour).
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    depends on your heart rate and intensity. I average over 200, but like I said it is different for everyone. I use a heart rate/calorie monitor to make sure I know the exact calories.
  • KayaD
    KayaD Posts: 65
    Options
    If you're really "workin' it" you should burn about 250 - 300 per 1/2 hour (500 - 600 per hour).

well by the end I was sweating, really hot and bright red, heart rate pretty high throughout LOL, I think I worked it! Haha, hmm, I have no idea how many calories to put :(
  • cranmuffin
    cranmuffin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I haven't used Zumba for wii, but I do take regular Zumba classes and I burn any where from 400 to 450 calories per class. (My average is 430). I would say at least 200 calories for a hour with wii. I also use a Mio watch to keep track of calories burned, you might want to look into using something like that to find your average.
  • princessmikayla5
    princessmikayla5 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I put it in as dancing. I usually don't burn that many calories, but it's fun.
  • franzy
    franzy Posts: 259
    Options
    I have a HRM and I burn a little over 400 in 40min. It's a burn :smile:
  • wetonia1
    wetonia1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    depends on your heart rate and intensity. I average over 200, but like I said it is different for everyone. I use a heart rate/calorie monitor to make sure I know the exact calories.

I agree with the above. I go to a class 1-2 times a week and wear my HRM and burn about 400-500 calories for the hour. It will be different for each person and how much you are really working it. My girlfriend goes with me and she sometimes burns more or less than me, just depends on our activity level during that class.

Let me know how the Wii Zumba works for you. I'm considering buying it, just don't know anyone who has tried it to get their input and suggestion.

Thanks!
  • Caseyanna
    Caseyanna Posts: 53
    Options
    I zumba at a class twice a week. Our instructor told us 138 cals / 20 mins.
  • cgcotten
    cgcotten Posts: 51
    Options
    I click on exercise and then log under - Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist - the amount
    of time I actually do it. I am really just beginning and last night I did it for 1 hour and burned 410 calories.
    A lot of stuff factors in to it, like how much weight you have to lose and the amount of time you spent.

Hope this helps!
  • KayaD
    Options

I agree with the above. I go to a class 1-2 times a week and wear my HRM and burn about 400-500 calories for the hour. It will be different for each person and how much you are really working it. My girlfriend goes with me and she sometimes burns more or less than me, just depends on our activity level during that class.

Let me know how the Wii Zumba works for you. I'm considering buying it, just don't know anyone who has tried it to get their input and suggestion.

Thanks!

well I just finished the 20 min beginner work out and it burned! So it's good so far! So shall I just log it as dancing?
  • stephaniekendrick
    stephaniekendrick Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest getting a heart rate monitor for this! I take classes two to four times a week and have also done the Wii. While all of them are pretty darn close in calories burned for me, MFP was averaging pretty low for me. I think I was using the cardio, fast dance work out and it was saying I burned about 400 - 600 calories. When I bought my HRM, I found out I was burning 930 calories in an hour! Huge difference!!!

I have a Timex HRM that came with a chest strap and while I got it in a local store for $60, you can get them on amazon for under $40....definitely worth the purchase!
  • KayaD
    Options
    I click on exercise and then log under - Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist - the amount
    of time I actually do it. I am really just beginning and last night I did it or 1 hour and burned 410 calories.
    A lot of stuff factors in to it, like how much weight you have to lose and the amount of time you spent.

Hope this helps!

thanks, I am now 230 and it was very fast paced!
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You can't say an exact amount because calories burned depends on each individual. Weight is a major factor as well. I would put it in as aerobics or dancing, and use the calculations MFP gives you.
  • KayaD
    Options
    I highly suggest getting a heart rate monitor for this! I take classes two to four times a week and have also done the Wii. While all of them are pretty darn close in calories burned for me, MFP was averaging pretty low for me. I think I was using the cardio, fast dance work out and it was saying I burned about 400 - 600 calories. When I bought my HRM, I found out I was burning 930 calories in an hour! Huge difference!!!

I have a Timex HRM that came with a chest strap and while I got it in a local store for $60, you can get them on amazon for under $40....definitely worth the purchase!

thanks! I will def look into one! That would help a ton! Can you wear it anytime? Like walking, doing work out videos etc?
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I have the zumba wii. When I dance and get into it keepining my heart alevated (sp?) You can burn a good amount. With my HRM I would burn over 300-400 calories in 30 minuts and about 800 for 50. When I didnt get into it made a lot of difference cuz I would only get about 230 calories for like 30minutes. Now you still sweat when you dont get into it so that dosent make a difference what makes a difference is making those jumps High, moving those hips around, and all that good stuff and your heart pumpin like its trying to come out to dance with you. LOL!!!!
  • KayaD
    Options
    I have the zumba wii. When I dance and get into it keepining my heart alevated (sp?) You can burn a good amount. With my HRM I would burn over 300-400 calories in 30 minuts and about 800 for 50. When I didnt get into it made a lot of difference cuz I would only get about 230 calories for like 30minutes. Now you still sweat when you dont get into it so that dosent make a difference what makes a difference is making those jumps High, moving those hips around, and all that good stuff and your heart pumpin like its trying to come out to dance with you. LOL!!!!

LOL I was definitely giving it my all! It was fun but it burned for sure! LOL I logged it as dancing, thanks girls!
  • LizaMena
    LizaMena Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am on week #2 with Zumba for th WII and I love it!! I log it under dancing, aerobic etc.... It's a great workout! I do it for an hr and average about 410 calories.
  • KayaD
    Options
    OH and can I ask, when you log an exercise and it gives you calories burned... is that tailored according to your weight? Does that make sense? Like does MFP already work it out depending in your weight?

I logged 30 mins of dancing general, aerobic etc and it says 250