HRM/Fitness gadget - Polar watch vs chest strap and smartphone

Options
Hi all, I think I'd like a new gadget to play with for the new year. I realize the HR can be fairly accurate, but the calories burned and other metrics can be a bit off depending on what you are doing. That being said, I'd like to chose between a Polar watch (maybe the FT7 or FT60?) vs a Polar H7 Bluetooth sensor and an app(s) on my Android.

I carry my phone pretty much all the time, so that's not a concern. I think the H7/phone might be a little more flexible (with many apps to choose from?) but watch could be a neat idea too.

Just curious if you have any thoughts on the choice.

Thanks!

Replies

• LivvieO
    LivvieO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have the same questions...I bought the Runtastic HRM chest strap but I find it uncomfortable and sadly it doesn't sit comfortably across or under my boobs as a result, I'm also not sure if it measures correctly so now I am considering a watch type devise. I was originally looking into the Basis Peak but bad reviews and its inability to sync to MFP leaves me now wanting the Fitbit Surge (which hasn't been released yet).
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have the FT60; which comes with a chest strap. As far as HRMs go, some type of chest strap is mandatory in my eyes. I have been very happy with the FT60 WATCH. However, I didn't like the chest strap that came with it. I bought a replacement strap (the solid plastic one - T31) and am so much happier.

If you are willing to invest in gadgets, consider one of the activity trackers that includes a HRM. Then you get the benefit of the HRM as well as things like a pedometer, sleep analysis, total calorie expenditure, etc. I believe Garmin and Polar both offer these now and Fitbit will be releasing one soon, if they haven't already. If/when my FT60 quits, that's probably my next purchase. Though my polar is going on 4 years old now and shows no signs of problems! (knock on wood).
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I own and use Polar FT7 (wrist watch type) and H7 (link to iPhone 4s, Polar Beat app.).

Both come with a chest strap. The straps are the most dependable way to pick up the heart rate, due to embedded sensor electrodes across the entire chest. They come in different sizes, and you get used to it over time. For me as a woman, it is easy to keep them in place, tucked in under my sports bra, but guys may have to get creative with compression shirts.

I like the H7 best, because the Polar Beat app. is easy to use, and it will sync the workout history to a free online account, if desired. The FT7 requires the purchase of an extra gadget to create a link to the computer, unless you transfer the data manually. Neither of the HRM will link with MFP.
    Both use standard batteries, and they are easy to replace, literally with a turn of a quarter ($).

I'd like to ad, the FT7 and some other wrist watch type HRMs are not regular sports watches, and they may lack some commonly expected functions, like a stop watch. Read the fine print. The phone makes up for this on the H7.

Happy training!
  • heckofagator
    Options
    thanks for the thoughts. The H7 plus smartphone app (assuming you have the phone) gets you into the game a bit cheaper. I think the FT60 was around $100 last time I looked. The FT7 is a bit cheaper, so maybe the gap isn't all that much.

I'll have to look into the activity trackers. I haven't investigated them much.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The value really depends on what you're doing. I run and cycle so for me it's very useful to be able to compare my heart rate with the run, or ride, data; mapping, elevation, cadence etc. As far as calorie expenditure is concerned, I'm sceptical even with running or riding.

With that in mind the H7 can integrate with Endomondo and other GPS apps, whereas the FT60 etc is standalone. You can get the flowlink and upload then associate, but the use case gets clumsy.

I did use an FT60 in the past but because the integration wasn't good I've given it away. I now use a Garmin HR strap alongside the GPS watch; 310XT.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that when you get a Polar watch type device, the chest strap that comes with it is just a Polar H7 anyway. So the accuracy is the same. The feature set is different: no device on your wrist to display HR or give training guidance. But a smartphone will do the trick if your workout allows you to be looking at it, or if you use an app with audio cues.

Personally I just pulled the trigger myself and bought a chest strap separately, partly because I'm a little worried that the chest straps that are bundled with fitness watches tend to be the lower-end, less comfortable option. Buying the chest strap separately made me more confident that I was choosing a high quality, comfortable option. I ended up getting a Wahoo TICKR, they seem cross-compatible with everything because they transmit both ANT+ and bluetooth, and the reviews I read said they were not particularly uncomfortable, as far as chest straps go.

As far as the new activity trackers that include wrist-mounted HR monitoring go, I'm hearing bad things about their accuracy as HR monitors. They use an optical light sensor on your wrist to detect heartbeat, and any sunlight that leaks in around the edges -- which is not nothin' -- messes them up. Most of them also tend to take a few minutes before they register changes in your heart rate, which means if you want to use them for actual HR training they'd be useless. As a way of improving the calorie burn estimate from your daily activities by adding a useful new dimension on top of just body movement, I'm sure they help some. But if you want to use the HRM for actual fitness improvement and training, nope.
  • h7463
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that when you get a Polar watch type device, the chest strap that comes with it is just a Polar H7 anyway. So the accuracy is the same. The feature set is different: no device on your wrist to display HR or give training guidance. But a smartphone will do the trick if your workout allows you to be looking at it, or if you use an app with audio cues.

Personally I just pulled the trigger myself and bought a chest strap separately, partly because I'm a little worried that the chest straps that are bundled with fitness watches tend to be the lower-end, less comfortable option. Buying the chest strap separately made me more confident that I was choosing a high quality, comfortable option. I ended up getting a Wahoo TICKR, they seem cross-compatible with everything because they transmit both ANT+ and bluetooth, and the reviews I read said they were not particularly uncomfortable, as far as chest straps go.

As far as the new activity trackers that include wrist-mounted HR monitoring go, I'm hearing bad things about their accuracy as HR monitors. They use an optical light sensor on your wrist to detect heartbeat, and any sunlight that leaks in around the edges -- which is not nothin' -- messes them up. Most of them also tend to take a few minutes before they register changes in your heart rate, which means if you want to use them for actual HR training they'd be useless. As a way of improving the calorie burn estimate from your daily activities by adding a useful new dimension on top of just body movement, I'm sure they help some. But if you want to use the HRM for actual fitness improvement and training, nope.
    The Polar wrist watch type HRMs are paired with their sensor. The H7 is a stand-alone HRM, that does not work with any watch, just with a compatible phone. The sensors transmit in individual frequencies, and so far, I have not had any crossed signals with other users or gym equipment around me.
    The chest straps are interchangeble between my FT7 and H7, the sensors are not. Replacement straps are available.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »
    sympha01 wrote: »

The Polar wrist watch type HRMs are paired with their sensor. The H7 is a stand-alone HRM, that does not work with any watch, just with a compatible phone. The sensors transmit in individual frequencies, and so far, I have not had any crossed signals with other users or gym equipment around me.
    The chest straps are interchangeble between my FT7 and H7, the sensors are not. Replacement straps are available.

Actually, the H7 works with most of their watches and machines since it uses BLE and GymLink broadcasting ... the H6 is BLE only.

http://www.polar.com/en/support/compatibility_with_my_Polar?product_id=67561&category=faqs
  • trochanter
    trochanter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Great in depth reviews here dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You need to think what you actually want it for. If it's to keep an eye on your heart rate and estimate burns just for exercise sessions then a HRM is right for you, but if it's to work as an aid to calculating your daily calorie needs then an activity tracker is much more suitable as you wear those all day long. I use a FitBit One which is synced to my account here so that it adjusts my calories for me automatically without me needing to log exercise - it's effectively correcting the activity level each day so on active days I get more to eat than the sedentary allowance I'm actually set up for. I have found it extremely effective and it has made me more active.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar Loop as an activity tracker and the Polar HR7 synced to my Galaxy S4 phone and love both of them. Like WaterBunnie said, you need to look at your needs to help you make a better choice for you. I love Polar products and have used them for years. I like having my HRM connected to my phone because I usually have it with me to play music while I workout. I can quickly check my heart rate, distance, and calorie burn on my phone while working out because the display is bigger on the phone versus the watch. I can quickly swipe on the phone to transfer my results to their website and I can make notes regarding each workout and can compare how I am doing from one month to the next. I also upload my data from the Loop to the same account to get how many steps I have taken, quality of sleep, and calories burned throughout the day and night.
  • heckofagator
    Options
    Is there anything a H7 strap and smartphone can't do that the watch could (Ft7 or ft60)?
  • h7463
    Options
    Is there anything a H7 strap and smartphone can't do that the watch could (Ft7 or ft60)?
    With the H7 you're going to have to leave the phone on the side of the pool while swimming laps (limited by the Bluetooth signal range, but mine did fine for the length of an olympic size pool)...the FT7 watch can go in the water....