1200 Calories

Options
I started my diet about a week ago now. I was eating WELL over 2000 calories a day eating take out food you name it just basically stuffing my face full of disgusting things. I put in myfitnesspal what my goal weight is (140) and what my current weight is (197) and it told me to eat 1200 calories a day. Now, I am 5'3" so I'm relatively short. I've been reading lots of conflicting information on the web and on myfitnesspal.com about eating only 1200 calories. I don't know if it is because I am tired because I haven't gotten enough rest, if I am working out to hard (working out 6 days a week trying to burn 300 calories each day) or if its because I am eating too little. None the less, I feel weak and tired. I need to know if what I am doing is ok. My body is getting used to the 1200 calories a day and some days I feel super hungry and some days I feel fine. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• aquababy
    aquababy Posts: 8
    Options
    Well, if you input the exercise you do, you can eat more. I was eating 1290 calories with doing very minimal exercise and so far I've lost 15 lbs in two months. It was a big adjustment at first, but it's really easy now. Now, I've reasdjusted my goals, and I'm eating 1210 calories a day. I do hope you're inputting your workouts too, good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    At a minimum you should be eating 1200, plus eating back the calories you burn. So on days you burn 300 cals you should be eating 1500 (1200+300) as MFP sets you up to lose your goal amount of weight without exercise and to maintain a deficit to lose your goal amount of weight you must eat those calories back.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 as well, pretty close to same dimensions as you, 5'2", 198. You will have to get used to it because your body is used to having so much more food and wants that back. My family tells me a was a raging b**** when this started! Stick with it make sure you drink enough. If after a few more days, and your calories are quality calories try added 200 more in and see how that goes!
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back any of your exercise calories?
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 1200 calories and your working out then you are going to need to eat the exercise calories you are given after you enter your exercise. This bumps your calorie goal up by how much you burn. This helps when you are tired and need energy.You can't only eat 1200 calories and be working out as well, your going to have to eat more so eat back the exercise calories and you won't feel so tired.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating back your exercise calories? For example, if you burn 300 calories on the elliptical, you get to eat 300 more calories, so your net is 1200. Some people have found that works. Also, make sure to lift weights. You might see an increase at first,but over time your fat content will decrease and you will be toned as opposed to flabby but skinny.
  • loveallthepaws
    loveallthepaws Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No i am not eating any of the calories back that I burn.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    1) If you are hungry, up your calories AND look into eating more filling healthy foods.
    2) 1200 is the BARE minimum MFP allows you to aim for. Do you have it set to lose 2lbs per week? Either manually adjust your calories to have more, or go and select 1.5 or 1 lbs per week as your goal, this will give you more cals to work with.
    3) Get your sleep. Really- it's more important than getting you workout in. 3 workouts a week on a largely full nights sleep all week is far superior than sleep deprived and getting in 6 workouts.

Mellow out. It will come off, slow and steady. Don't be afraid to eat a bit more and work a bit less. Just don't stop completely.
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back yuor exercise cals?
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your 1200 PLUS your 300 you burned while working out? If not, that's part of the issue right there. You need to eat your exercise calories. Also, going from 0 to 6 intense workouts per week will wear you out rather quickly. Maybe take 1 more rest day for hte next couple of weeks until your body accllimates. Are you drinking your water too?
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You can also adjust your weight loss goals. You didn't put it on over night, so why try to take it off overnight? I started out with a 1 lb a week goal. That will give you more calories as well.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,189 Member
    Options
    The MFP 1200 does not include the calories you would use for exercise, so you need to eat those. If you are doing that, increase the amount of protein you eat as the MFP setting for protein is quite low.

If you set you weight loss per week goal to 2 pounds, you may want to decrease that to 1.5 or 1 pound. It will take a little longer, but it is a better approach as it allows you time to learn to eat differently. The key to losing fat is a mild deficit. The 2 pound per week deficit is often too big for many people.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I tried eating 1200cal and my body was like "oh hellz no" even when exercising I couldn't lose any weight. So instead I went back, and said "lose 1lb" a week, which boosted me up to 1570cal a day - now I'm losing weight like crazy and keeping it off!! It feels great :)

Best of luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No i am not eating any of the calories back that I burn.

Then start doing that, it should make a difference in your energy levels.
  • loveallthepaws
    Options
    I am drinking tons of water. I think I do need to eat back my calories and maybe do 5 days a week working out. Thanks for the info guys it helps a lot!
  • LauraSolley
    Options
    I statred a lil more than a week ago and our weight and goals are about the same . I also have a 1200 calorie a day limit and find it very hard to stick to .I feel the same way you do , tired and weak andsome days craving everything to eat and others fine. . Never the less I am determined to lose the weight I have gained.
    I hope that our bodies will adjust to our new healthy lifestyle. the more I work out and burn calories the more I can eat. Are you entering your exercise into your daily log ? I hope others comment so we can get alot of advice :)
  • loveallthepaws
    Options
    I stopped adding my work outs because I didn't like that it was making me eat more calories. But apparently I should have listened to MFP! I am going to try eating back the calories I burn for a week and see if that helps!
  • megansvane
    Options
    my calories a day are all so 1,210 calories a day . I can't figure whats a good meal plan to to stay in those calories can you give a idea of what i should eat or maybe tell me what are is you meal plan like. thank you Aquabady
  • bobitychynski
    bobitychynski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a similar calorie goal (1290). I agree that eating with all of the suggestions provided:
    1) eat the additional calories provided by working out
    2) up the protein
    3) increase fibre for fullness feeling but ensure adequate water intake
    4) slow goal rate of loss to 1 lb per week to allow your body a chance to acclimatize to less caloric intake
    5) weight train (this is HuGE) in fact your body tone will improve dramatically even if you don't lose weight
    6) give it more than a week... Your body is probably holding onto the weight... It will eventually release it...
    7) I am not sure how my privacy settings are but you can look at my logs for healthy meal ideas at this calorie level
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories.
    Looking at you, you're not in the obese range, so I'd advise you turn down your goals so your aim is 1lb a week weightloss. That's still excellent progress.

Good luck :)