My son is 24 and has two dogs... Thinking about moving to texas.

Options
holliwood97
holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
Hi my son is 24. He has two dogs. and loves to walk around the city... So he is thinking about texas. He has never been He is looking up cities mostly online... He loves the idea of walking everywhere... He will have to find a job. He will be a server/waiter i think to start.... He has experience actually running heavy equipment in a gravelpplant... But its not really his passion so he is trying to find his way etc....

If you live there do you have any tips? or idea? great places to live?
thank you So much

Holli

Replies

• _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    San Antonio has a decent cost of living and tons of things to do.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm in San Antonio and I love my awesome little city. Austin is pretty nice, too. But both are pretty huge - and you really can't walk everywhere.

New Braunfels is nice, and so is San Marcus (college town).

Central Texas is a good place to live :)
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    The walking thing is kinda tough. Hard to afford places on waiter's saleries in communities that have that kind of setup(all the major cities).

I would think central Texas would fit him best, as he sounds like the "Texas Hippie" crowd in the hill country would suit what he is looking for best.

No surfing there, but lots to do on the hill country rivers...
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    There isn't anywhere in Texas that you can walk everywhere unless you live in downtown areas and you won't be able to afford anything in downtown on a waiter salary... at least not in the DFW area and likely Austin and Houston too. This is most definitely a state that relies heavily on vehicular transportation.

If you like to be outside, it just isn't a great state for that. There are parks and hiking trails but unless you like super sweating it out in 100 degree weather in the summer or putting yourself at risk for heat stroke, you probably won't go. It will even be in the high 80s-90s late at night. I don't exercise outside in the summer because it's just too hot. This winter has been mild but we are known for ice and sleet. There's really only about 6 months a year that you can participate outside (March - May, September - November), unless you like it cold, then maybe December-February if it's mild and not icy.

And don't even think about buying a house here. The prices here are so so so overpriced right now, there was an article in WSJ, I believe, about it. Apartments aren't cheap either here. Most decent 1 bedrooms in a decent city will cost 800-1000 a month. There are cheaper apartments but the location is the issue....

We do have cheaper gas but that's about it. Our food prices really aren't better than other states from what I've seen. We don't have state income tax which is somewhat nice (in a, 'I don't care to maintain my state' kinda way).

And the people here. Oh my god. They all love their guns and their bible. They will tell you texas is the greatest state ever and, "if you don't like it, get out." Yeah.... that's the standard response from most Texans.

I really can't think of many positives about the state other than you can take day trips to other areas. Austin is great, Houston is houston, we go to the coast occasionally, and San Antonio is nice to visit too. I'm sure other Texans will chime in with how great the state is and give you a different perspective.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    There isn't anywhere in Texas that you can walk everywhere unless you live in downtown areas and you won't be able to afford anything in downtown on a waiter salary... at least not in the DFW area and likely Austin and Houston too. This is most definitely a state that relies heavily on vehicular transportation.

If you like to be outside, it just isn't a great state for that. There are parks and hiking trails but unless you like super sweating it out in 100 degree weather in the summer or putting yourself at risk for heat stroke, you probably won't go. It will even be in the high 80s-90s late at night. I don't exercise outside in the summer because it's just too hot. This winter has been mild but we are known for ice and sleet. There's really only about 6 months a year that you can participate outside (March - May, September - November), unless you like it cold, then maybe December-February if it's mild and not icy.

And don't even think about buying a house here. The prices here are so so so overpriced right now, there was an article in WSJ, I believe, about it. Apartments aren't cheap either here. Most decent 1 bedrooms in a decent city will cost 800-1000 a month. There are cheaper apartments but the location is the issue....

We do have cheaper gas but that's about it. Our food prices really aren't better than other states from what I've seen. We don't have state income tax which is somewhat nice (in a, 'I don't care to maintain my state' kinda way).

And the people here. Oh my god. They all love their guns and their bible. They will tell you texas is the greatest state ever and, "if you don't like it, get out." Yeah.... that's the standard response from most Texans.

I really can't think of many positives about the state other than you can take day trips to other areas. Austin is great, Houston is houston, we go to the coast occasionally, and San Antonio is nice to visit too. I'm sure other Texans will chime in with how great the state is and give you a different perspective.

Best advice yet.
  • kinkyslinky16
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Funny lol. I was just coming back to delete the long thing I wrote and just put, "yeah, don't" instead... Figured that was a much shorter, concise version.
  • kinkyslinky16
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oops!

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I guess I'm lucky to live in San Antonio. I'm a super liberal atheist and haven't had any issues with people here. Our housing market is really good, our apartments aren't bad and there's lots and lots to do outside. It is hot, I'll give you that :) - we have a pool so it's not that miserable here.

I'm sure other, smaller areas of the state are pretty different, but that's true of any state, I think.
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    LOve this thank you ALL SO much.... i really appreciate the insight. who better to ask than the people living in the area.!!!! i love the information!!! thank you again!
  • priscillab59
    priscillab59 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We moved here from CA and love it here. I am an outdoor person and I ride my horse, bike and walk my dogs all year round. In the summer I get out very early in the morning and am done by 10 a.m. usually. Always have water with me.
    Of course, coming from CA, the housing prices are great to us! But they have gone up in the last 4 years. Fort Worth has some trails along the Trinity River. I think TX is worth looking into. :D