Half Marathon Training!

Options
Hey everyone!

So my best friend and I signed up to do a Disney Half Marathon in May and it is officially time to start training. I am beyond excited about it, its something that I never thought I could do a year ago but I've come a long way. A little about me; I joined MFP a two years ago, lost about 30 pounds and got up to running 7 miles. The last six-ish months I've deflated a little, gained a little weight back and my running has kind of fell off. But I'm starting my training and looking to build back up my strength and endurance and I'm looking for more running friends! Hopefully people that have more long distance running goals who can help with nutrition and advice but of course I open to friends with any kind of goals =)

My main goals are of course to stick to my running plan (I'm using the Disney Pixie Challenge schedule since thats the race I'm doing), be more aware of the quality of food I'm eating so I wont be as concerned about my calorie goal, I just want to make sure I'm eating the right balance of good things, and eat a bigger breakfast... as random as that sounds haha. Thanks for reading!
Happy Running! <3

Replies

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half marathon in April! I joined a running group so I'm doing my three runs a week with them. Good luck! Feel free to friend me
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I trained to run a half last year and ended up injured before the race, but can comfortably run the distance. So will be attempting 2 this year. Will start training again next week. My plan is a little different this time around. 2-3 runs per week (2 for bad weather weeks and I can't run on the treadmill). 2 interval runs, 1 endurance run, adding a mile per week, starting at 5-7 miles.

Happy training!
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I ran Tinker Bell last year and I'm all signed up this year. :) Disney puts on such fun races, you'll love it.
  • superspork2
    superspork2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Im sorry you got injured! thats terrible! Thats really what I want to avoid. My schedule starts out with 3 runs a week then ups to 4, but I think once I go up to 4, one day is going to turn into a crosstrain/walking day. I will also have to feel it out. I have a bad habit of doing too much right off the bat. My big concern is eating.. Things get tricky when you get up to running 10 miles haha.
  • superspork2
    Options
    goldmay wrote: »
    I ran Tinker Bell last year and I'm all signed up this year. :) Disney puts on such fun races, you'll love it.

I am so excited for it! Can't wait!
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first half marathon this past fall. It was also something I thought I could never do. I wasn't able to get up to running the full 13.1 miles, but I did run 10 miles straight through without stopping to walk during my training. It was such a great feeling! As was crossing the finish line at the race, even if I did walk for a little bit of it.

As a new half marathoner myself, the best advice I can give is to make sure you have a great pair of running shoes, and if you ever go out for a run on a training day and your body is telling you no, listen! A coworker of mine told me that when I started training (she runs full marathons and Iron Man races like it's her job), and it was great advice. There might be days when you don't really feel like running, but know you can, and there might be days where your body is trying to tell you to take a break. It's on those days that if you push yourself too hard, you can get hurt. If you start a run and know you truly aren't feeling it in that moment, it's ok to stop. I had two days like that during my training, and I just stopped for the day. The next day I went out to do the same run, and it felt great! So definitely listen to your body. Good luck, you'll do great! :)
  • superspork2
    Options
    Thank you! that is great advice. I used to get really hard on myself when I would have to stop to walk or if I started to fall apart on my runs. A big part of my training this time around is going to be to make sure I take care of myself and walk when I need, and take rest days and not beat myself up for it
  • SuggaD
    Options
    Im sorry you got injured! thats terrible! Thats really what I want to avoid. My schedule starts out with 3 runs a week then ups to 4, but I think once I go up to 4, one day is going to turn into a crosstrain/walking day. I will also have to feel it out. I have a bad habit of doing too much right off the bat. My big concern is eating.. Things get tricky when you get up to running 10 miles haha.

Injury wasn't from running....have a bad back and it gave out just before the race. Was having leg problems which I thought was from running but took that injury for them to figure out that the issue was a disc problem.

Anyway, your plan seems reasonable. Just remember to eat enough to fuel your workouts. I don't run on food. But when my runs start hitting over 90 minutes, I will work gels into my runs, starting at around 3 miles and every two miles after. Lots of protein afterwards. And lots of fluids. Otherwise, just eat healthy.
  • superspork2
    Options
    Anyway, your plan seems reasonable. Just remember to eat enough to fuel your workouts. I don't run on food. But when my runs start hitting over 90 minutes, I will work gels into my runs, starting at around 3 miles and every two miles after. Lots of protein afterwards. And lots of fluids. Otherwise, just eat healthy.

I'm going to start to look into gels for during my run.. what about bars? like Questbars, or would you say the gels are better? I do eat lots of protein so no issues there haha
  • SuggaD
    Options

I'm going to start to look into gels for during my run.. what about bars? like Questbars, or would you say the gels are better? I do eat lots of protein so no issues there haha

You can try the Questbars, but its probably hard to chew and run and gels hit the system faster. I like Hammer gels. High quality ingredients and tastes good.
  • superspork2
    Options
    You can try the Questbars, but its probably hard to chew and run and gels hit the system faster. I like Hammer gels. High quality ingredients and tastes good.

Okay, thank you! I really appreciate the advice
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that gels every 2 miles is a lot. I think the typical recommendation is for runs longer than 90 minutes, plan to take in100 calories of quick digesting carbs for every hour. Use your long runs to experiment with what is going to work for you in terms of nutrition, hydration, and clothing. You'll want to figure out what you can eat the night before, the morning of, and for fuel during. Some people use gels, some use energy blocks, some use jelly beans, graham crackers or honey, some use sports drinks. The important thing is to do your experimenting during training. Do not try anything new on race day. Eating a good breakfast prior is a good idea, but you don't want to eat too much.

Make sure you have good shoes. I'd highly recommend having your gait analyzed at a running store. Also make sure to have moisture wicking clothing. Again, nothing new on race day.

Follow your training plan, trust in your training plan, but also listen to your body.

You might want to check out the long distance runner's group. There's a wealth of knowledge available there!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners

• rrisha40
    Options
    The goo is the best! I ran a Disney Half and took a gel square at mile 8 and had enough energy to finish the race. It's always helped me having a run buddy, maybe you can find someone in your area also training for a half or even the same half! Good luck!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm training for a half in March (my first - and I'm like you.... never would have thought I could do it a couple of years ago). You're getting some great advice in this thread... and I'm taking notes!

Question for runners who have done half's before - how do you carry water (or do you?)? I'm pretty early in my training and don't carry water yet since so far my longest running sessions have taken just over an hour. But I'm trying to figure out how to do that without having to carry a water bottle.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    I'm training for a half in March (my first - and I'm like you.... never would have thought I could do it a couple of years ago). You're getting some great advice in this thread... and I'm taking notes!

Question for runners who have done half's before - how do you carry water (or do you?)? I'm pretty early in my training and don't carry water yet since so far my longest running sessions have taken just over an hour. But I'm trying to figure out how to do that without having to carry a water bottle.

In the winter I generally only carry water for runs longer than 10 miles. I pretty much just suck it up and hold a small water bottle while I run. There are hand-held water bottles (they have like a hand strap) or fuel belts which hold water bottles that you can buy. Sometimes in the summer months I'll stash a water bottle on my route. , I often do a figure eight route around my house and leave a bottle on the porch. Sometimes my wife will meet up with me partway and bring me water. I know some people will run with camelbacks, but that just doesn't work for me.
  • SuggaD
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »
    I would suggest that gels every 2 miles is a lot. I think the typical recommendation is for runs longer than 90 minutes, plan to take in100 calories of quick digesting carbs for every hour. Use your long runs to experiment with what is going to work for you in terms of nutrition, hydration, and clothing. You'll want to figure out what you can eat the night before, the morning of, and for fuel during. Some people use gels, some use energy blocks, some use jelly beans, graham crackers or honey, some use sports drinks. The important thing is to do your experimenting during training. Do not try anything new on race day. Eating a good breakfast prior is a good idea, but you don't want to eat too much.

Make sure you have good shoes. I'd highly recommend having your gait analyzed at a running store. Also make sure to have moisture wicking clothing. Again, nothing new on race day.

Follow your training plan, trust in your training plan, but also listen to your body.

You might want to check out the long distance runner's group. There's a wealth of knowledge available there!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners

[/

100 cals per hour is going to be low for many. It depends on weight and pace. Experimenting is good. I don't need much, and I use a flask so a sip every 2 miles works best for me.
  • superspork2
    Options
    Okay, I am for sure going to try out different things during my long runs to refuel myself. I've done the shoe test so I've got that locked down. I was running for a long time with the wrong shoes before I got myself together and it changed everything when I got the right shoes. I was wondering about the water thing too! I can totally stash a water bottle or carry one so that will work. Ill try out some different energy things for during my run. I feel like I have so far to go before I can get to 13 miles!
  • redsk
    redsk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Gu makes some amazing chocolate and coffee energy gels. If you decide to use any gel during the race, make sure you try training with them to avoid an accident. I have a water belt but it flipping annoying. I prefer to just take a bottle from it and put in the front pocket of my Brooks Nightlife Essential Vest III. It was a bit pricey but it is my favorite.

Try to find a route that you like, if it is pleasant that can help you keep going. I found the half marathon to be easier than the training because I am competitive and it was rewarding to pass people (I know, I'm horrible). I just had to remember to not get caught up with passing and pace myself.

Sounds like the Disney half marathon will be fun! Good luck. :smiley:
  • superspork2
    Options
    Thanks!
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I started doing half marathons with Disney Tinkerbell the first in Jan 14 and finished my 7th last year with the Disney Avengers being the latest in November. Several things about Disney races... they are early! And it is cold no matter what time of year at that time in California. I turned socks with toes cut off into arm wamers or buy an old long sleeve t-shirt or sweatshirt you can discard. The first race I didn't do this and froze because of the wave starts (the corrals start 5 minutes or so apart, it takes a long time to get started because I was in corral E.) Also for Disney there are time limits -- I am close to the limit at 3:10 or so but I am not sure when they start picking people up because there was a corral behind me so I knew that I would not be at the end. Lots of people stop to stand in line to take pictures with one of the Disney Characters, but I am slow so worried about the time limit and didn't stop much. But stopping for 5-10 minutes or so might be worth it for the experience.

I wear a waist pack where I can carry gel, camera, and my phone. That same waist pack has clips for water for training, but for a Disney race you won't need to worry about water -- they are well stocked with water at all the stops. Some races aren't that well stocked for the slow people, so if it is warm or humid, I have raced with extra water. I have the Star Wars HM planned in January and the Disney World Princess HM (in Orlando) planned for Feb. If you have questions about Disney or any other HM please feel free to message me. I am an experienced runner, just slow, so I have a lot more in common with more newbies than the fast experienced runners. Good luck with your training.