Chef and losing weight

Options
Hi! This is my 2nd time on this site. I loved it the first time I was on it I just fell off the wagon.

I work in a resturaunt and am finding it hard not to try more than a small bite of all the delicious food that I am around. Any Ideas?

Stephanie

cw:162
gw:125

Replies

• Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am also a chef. My technique is eating before work, and keeping my tastes to just tastes. Keeping my water level up, (which is good when we are sweating on the line anyway) and allowing myself occasional indulgences. Also, I know all the ingredients that go into the dishes and find it hard to allow myself to rationally consume something that has cream, butter and the likes inside for more then a simple taste to check for flavor balance. Good luck!
  • piccolonz
    Options
    Hi I am a chef in New Zealand and have gone the complete opposite never eating and stuffed up my metabolism and have just joined this site hoping to do at least three meals a day..... chefs unite
  • becktoria
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am new to this and I'm a chef as well. I know what you mean about being surrounded by the delicious food! I also make sure I eat a good breakfast before work, oatbran pancakes are a good option as they keep you feeling full for a long time. I keep a plentiful supply of water and keep drinking through the day. Sometimes I catch myself eating instead of tasting and this is were you must become ruthlessly strict with yourself! All those mouthfuls throughout the day certainly add up the calories! Nice to see some other chefs here who understand the perils of trying to lose weight whilst working around food all day!
  • simplingrillin
    Options
    Yea Its awesome to know that there are others cooks out there. I just started writing down everything I eat(the last two days) I was amazed by the calorie intake of just a taste of this here and a taste of that there. Where is everyone from? Im in Seattle...how did you guys keep up with exercise?
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm living in Alaska, myself. I just make exercise a priority. I exercise at night. I get it in where I can. Hooray for chefs indeed, we dirty pirates of the modern day. :drinker:
  • peetysgirl
    peetysgirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i just started doing the looked better naked book by the women's health editor. it is a 6week program that has a an exercise and diet plan. you eat 5 meals a day that keep your blood sugar level even and also keeps you from feeling so hungry you reach for the high carb quick energy foods, or caffeine like i was. i work as a pantry cook in a fine dining restaurant. so i am dealing with all the desserts and salads and we also have butcher boards(fatty prosciutto and salamis and delicious cheeses). i am really tempted by the family meal that one of my fellow kitchen members make. they always are making stuff with cream or fried. its hard when your hungry. but this new diet is awesome. the food is good tasting and is well rounded and nutritious. the exercise are only about 30mins 4 days a week and can pretty much be done at home if needed.
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I own a catering company and fight this battle all the time! The key for me has been preparedness. Obviously, we have to taste our product and I do so very sparingly. But I also make sure that I have plenty of healthy options on hand for my meals. Since we are chefs, we know how to make things taste wonderful by adding the right blends of herbs and spices and paring the right ingredients, right? Look at it as a special creative challenge. I have come up with some awesome, healthy things since starting this weight loss journey of mine.