225, a lot to lose, and a lot to gain.

Options
I'm 22 years old and feel as if I've been walking on this earth in a sense of contentment for myself. Don't get me wrong, i have a good life for my age. I've been working since I was 15 and haven't stopped since. I've always been determined to do well for myself. I got a job in a field I love. I bought a house with a man I love, and a new car that I can rely on. But in the haste to get all the big goals out of the way before the age of 35, I neglected my weight, and now I am paying for it.
When I was 18, I moved 3,000 miles away from all of my family to New York to pursue a career in Hospitality. I'm here with my husband, but being so far away from all your friends and family can take a tole on you. I had no one to talk to except for Vince, and having only one person to vent all your fears, anxieties and stress to can be overbearing on them. So I kept a lot of my fears to myself.
Fear of failing. Fear of not being good enough. All the woes of being an adult like bills, and medical expenses. I developed a anxiety so intense, at times I wouldn't get out of bed except to be sick(The worse time I had was when I was going through the house buying process, need I say more?). And I think in the times between the huge spasms of anxiety, I would eat my stress away.
Now you have to understand, I come from a husky family. We all have larger then average frames, and a little chub covering our bones. But I gained so much weight since moving away from California in 2009, that I hate to look in the mirror. I feel like everyone that see's me, see's an overly obese woman. I got to my highest weight of 230, and finally had, had enough.
I went onto a diet, limiting my intake of carbs and sugars, and felt really good at first. But two months into a drastic change in my diet and exercise, I had lose no weight, but in fact gained four pounds.
I don't think i have to tell you how discouraging it is to be working so hard, and see not only no results, but the opposite of what you were trying for. I felt like throwing in the towel and eating all the food I could fit into my mouth. I went to my doctor(Who had prescribed me medication for my anxiety right before I started my weight lost journey) and she discovered that my metabolism isn't working the way it should be. I should have lost a ton of weight after the initial two months of eating just poultry, fruits, and veggies.
So last week, she prescribed me Phentermine(for three months), In hopes that it would not only help me lose some initial weight, but speed my metabolism to where it should be working. This in combination of a 900 cal daily regimen(Doctor approved folks, so don't get mad for me not getting 1500), will hopefully get me on the right track.
I started at 227( on my home scale) and now am down to 218. I know its a drastic weight lose in a short period of time, but I feel so much better. I have more energy, I don't sleep 11 hours a night, and I get so much more done. I'm not snacking my day away, and am never hungry outside my meals. I feel full and surprisingly less stressed. I know the risks of the pill, but I think its only going to be a temporary tool to help me in getting to my goal of 140 pounds. And the weight lose will soon curb to the normal 1-2 pound weekly loss you can healthily lose. I'm going to be visiting my family in May, and I'm hoping to wow and surprise them with my soon to be new body. But I don't want to risk getting discouraged. So I joined this site, hoping to have people who are going through, or have been through and succeeded, help and encourage me to get to mine.

Replies

• AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Best wishes!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    So glad you're here, Welcome!
  • betstoo
    betstoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Anxiety drugs are notorious for causing weight gain. I have been changing my lifestyle for abt the last eight months. I finally kicked the effexor habit abt four months ago. My body is only now getting over it! But it is better! You can do it!! Take one day at a time. Build better habits like exercising or not drinking soda. Master it and than do something else. Join support groups, great for help and moral. Above all log everything! Its amazing what u will discover!
  • adampwhernandez
    Options
    I have had a lot of success using myfitness pal. For maximum weight loss stay under your calorie limit AND add a bunch of cardio. The fat melts off. Problem is you dont get much muscle tone, but you probably arent too worried about that.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm not usually a supporter of weight loss pills (I've been on them before…and have gained the weight back)…

Please make sure while you are taking this that you take the time to learn what lifestyle changes you need to make and that you are making them while you are on this…so that when you stop taking it, you'll have sustainable things that can last the rest of your life, that can help you keep the weight off. This shouldn't be a diet, it should be a lifestyle change.

I'm about to post a bunch of helpful links. Don't try to read them all at once, read them, and reallllly read them.

I am a constant work in progress. I have ups and downs. No matter what I keep at it. I don't believe in fad diets or quick fixes. I don't believe in detoxes or cleanses. I believe in being brutally honest, maybe with a touch of snark.

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
    -Wayne Dyer

It's about moderation not deprivation. There are no good/bad foods, only bad eating habits. Do or do not, there is no try. You have to want it, you have to work for it, you have to realize that only you can do it. Realize that it's a lifestyle change NOT a diet.

Here's a good one to start with…OP lost 153 lbs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1346163-change-your-mindset

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • bobbichristine
    bobbichristine Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No, I am indeed not worried about muscle. I am doing some light exercises, especially for my arms, as I don't want to become a flying squirrel. I also have always only drank water, so cutting soda out of my diet isn't something I even had to put thought into. I've never ate very terribly, I just haven't been able to lose weight because of my metabolism.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hello, Welcome to myfitnesspal! You are welcome to add me if you like; I don't have anxiety but I do Comfort eat, come from a large built family and I moved away from home. I moved 1000 miles away from all of my family to marry a wonderful husband and start a family. I was around 180 at the time of my wedding... Three years later the worst happened and we lost a baby to miscarriage. I went up to 220 with comfort eating. That's when I joined this site the first time, hoping loosing some weight might help me get pregnant again. 20 lbs later and I find out I'm expecting. I'm now a happy mother of a little baby girl that will turn 1 in a few months. However with baby weight on top of it I'm back to 220 (my top this year was 230 but right now the scales say 224)... and trying again to get to 150.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    I have had a lot of success using myfitness pal. For maximum weight loss stay under your calorie limit AND add a bunch of cardio. The fat melts off. Problem is you dont get much muscle tone, but you probably arent too worried about that.

I'm sorry but bad advice is bad…

You should try to keep as much lean muscle as you can while losing. You'll still lose some muscle, but once you lose muscle it's a lot harder, especially for women, to try to get it back.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    No, I am indeed not worried about muscle. I am doing some light exercises, especially for my arms, as I don't want to become a flying squirrel. I also have always only drank water, so cutting soda out of my diet isn't something I even had to put thought into. I've never ate very terribly, I just haven't been able to lose weight because of my metabolism.

You should really try to keep as much lean muscle as you can. Lifting won't make you bulky. You don't have to lift, but I would definitely recommend you at least look into doing body weight exercises, not just for your arms...
  • bobbichristine
    Options

You should really try to keep as much lean muscle as you can. Lifting won't make you bulky. You don't have to lift, but I would definitely recommend you at least look into doing body weight exercises, not just for your arms...

I do. I've looked into what to do, and am following my doctors advice. I do light exercises, because i'm on a very low calorie intake. If I did more, it would kick my body into starvation mode.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I tried the phentermine and lost what I wanted to. But as soon as I came off of it I gained it and then some right back. I hope that isn't the case for you. I don't know if it'd help to come off of them slower. Wish you the best of luck, sounds like you are doing well for some one of your age. Success in so many areas of your life. You can regain control of your health.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't even exist in the way you're referring to it.

You're on a diet pill and eating well below a normal calorie intake. In my very honest opinion, it's not a healthy, safe or sustainable road to success.

I say this as someone who started out at 232 and was given Phentermine. I'm now 166 and didn't need the pill at all. I also have GAD and severe depression. You don't need a pill and a pretty low calorie intake to see success. You just need to work hard, be honest in your logging and commit.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Strong first post, and no.

I'm lazy and exercise very little, I've managed so far largely with diet alone. We got a set of 20 pound dumbbells and I use those randomly throughout the day. I don't have the ability to go to a gym to lift, so I do what I can at home.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

You're on a diet pill and eating well below a normal calorie intake. In my very honest opinion, it's not a healthy, safe or sustainable road to success.

I say this as someone who started out at 232 and was given Phentermine. I'm now 166 and didn't need the pill at all. I also have GAD and severe depression. You don't need a pill and a pretty low calorie intake to see success. You just need to work hard, be honest in your logging and commit.

this-is-the-best.gif

I think you brought a tear to my eye...
  • Michelle2W
    Michelle2W Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can add me, if you like!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

this-is-the-best.gif

<3
  • bobbichristine
    Options

this-is-the-best.gif

In responce to both of you.
    Honestly, I appreciate the advice, its nice and all.
    But I'm going to go by what my doctor says is right for me. And considering she is a doctor, and said I needed to eat over a certain amount of calories to stay out of that danger zone, AND not work out unless I planned on eating more then the 900, I'm going to go by what she says. Its no offence to either of you, but she went to school for some time for it.
    I trust her. And if its working for me, i don't think its in anyones place to tell me otherwise. I've always been a healthy eater, I just have always been a large girl. So the pill is going to help me get my metabolism working the way it should, in combination with the same diet I had been on for months before hand.
    I'm not relying on the pill to do my weight loss for me. I do work hard, I do exercise in moderation, and I do commit to anything I put my mind to.
    You are entitled to your personal opinion, but I would rather listen to an established doctor(who by the way, used to be around my weight in her youth, and lost it to get down to a very slim weight in her now late 50s.) that I trust to take care of my well being. I'm going in for weigh in's weekly, and she is watching my calorie intake. And even though it is below the recommended intake of daily calories, it doesn't mean it is unhealthy for me personally. I take multiple vitamins to ensure I am giving my body everything it needs to be nourished.