For people who lost, gained it back, lost it again and never went back.

Options
Hi there,

Has anyone lost the weight, gained it all back or half back, then lost it again and stayed that weight? If so, what made you decide to lose it for good? It's sort of easy the first time to lose it because you were never at that weight, but to lose it again and stick with it, that's... tough.

And it's where I'm at now.

Thank you.

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost it all again the second time, but I'm about eight weeks/20lbs into it now.

I lost about 90lbs around 10 years back through extreme (see also: unhealthy) diet/exercise, then pretty much just stopped caring. I gained it all back plus 20 - 30lbs on top of it, so I'm currently back to where I was before I started my last big weight loss.

Last time, it seemed like the weight came off extremely easily. I wasn't logging my calories, or anything like that. I was just unknowingly eating at a severe deficit, and losing 20 - 30 lbs/month. After learning all that I know this time around, that number might sound nearly impossible, but I was doing pretty intense cardio in the gym 5-6 days/week for a few hours at a time (burning anywhere between 1500-2000cals per session), and sustaining on not much more than iceburg lettuce with chicken breast salads. I am extremely lucky that my body didn't shut down in some form, or another. I mean, It was gone so quickly that my parents wholeheartedly believed I was on drugs. It happened so fast that my mind wasn't able to process it, and I had a very hard time seeing myself differently than 280-290lbs when I looked in the mirror. This is likely why I never physically saw myself as much different, even though I knew I was gaining it all back, until I was over 300lbs a few months before starting the loss again.

Sure, I suppose it can be looked at as easier the first time around because I would be around double my current weight loss in the same amount of time, but I don't see it that way. I think this time around is much easier because I have complete control over it.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Hi there, Has anyone lost the weight, gained it all back or half back, then lost it again and stayed that weight? If so, what made you decide to lose it for good? It's sort of easy the first time to lose it because you were never at that weight, but to lose it again and stick with it, that's... tough. And it's where I'm at now. Thank you.

“Ton’s” of times (pun intended). In the past, I had a “diet” mentality and not a “lifestyle – permanent change” mentality.

In some ways, I stumbled upon success this time. To be honest, I had just about thrown in the towel and given up. It’s a long story and I won’t bore you.

Bottom-line – someone told me about MFP and another calorie app. - This was over a year ago before Thanksgiving 2013. One day I decided to check it out. The next thing I knew I was giving it a go – but with more planning than ever. I set my goals and then worked in the calories focusing on healthy choices etc.

I must say MFP has worked for me. Unlike “diets” in the past – I no longer worry about failure and I keep my guard up for those weak moments. I have learned to listen to “me” – there are a lot of people that intentionally or unintentionally try to sabotage things – “You’re not going to lose more are you? Or “One slice won’t hurt” or “you look great the way you are.” You likely know the drill.

You can do it!!!! Get past that first month and you will be on your way….

73641431.png
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Has anyone lost the weight, gained it all back or half back, then lost it again and stayed that weight? If so, what made you decide to lose it for good? It's sort of easy the first time to lose it because you were never at that weight, but to lose it again and stick with it, that's... tough.

And it's where I'm at now.

Thank you.

I kind of count, I guess.

2012 - lost 60lbs, but I dramatically restricted my foods. It wasn't sustainable plan. I ended up gaining about 20lbs back.
    2013 - lost about 50 lbs. This time the only restriction was making sure I stayed at a calorie deficit. I was much happier with this. However, I became pregnant with my 2nd child and during the 9 months (which crossed into 2014), I gained 42lbs.
    2014 - down 52.4lbs from what I weighed 2 days before my c-section (41 wks May 27). I still have about 30lbs to go, but I'm going about this the same way I did in 2013 and its working for me. I do however fear maintenance. Mostly because I've heard that it is harder than losing weight.
  • Alexandrea22
    Alexandrea22 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    From January 2012 to April 2012 I lost 40 pounds and was at my lowest weight (well, I'm sure I was lower at some point as I had to pass that weight to get to my heaviest but you know what I mean haha). I have gained all my weight back now and want to get rid of that 40 pounds again.

I'm not a success story yet as I'm starting from the beginning again, but feel free to add me so we can work through this together.

I'm 25 and have about 40-45 pounds to lose.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I've lost and gained 50 lbs 3 times now. It's depressing but I've not failed till I quit.
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. Honestly, you won't bore me with the long stories. That's something I'm kind of looking for.

I did it the right way the first time (with MFP and exercise), but plateaued for 6 months and gave up. I still work out and eat healthy, just not with the drive I once had. I'm trying to get that drive back and I wonder what made you get that drive back that you once had? How do you get it and keep it?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I've lost and gained 50 lbs 3 times now. It's depressing but I've not failed till I quit.

wow! What a great attitude :)
  • cmdoiy
    cmdoiy Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I started my journey at 215.2 lbs. back in January 2013. Through diligent logging on MFP and 4-6 days a week at the gym, I got down to 184 in October 2013.

Since then, it's been a real struggle for me. Reality set in when I stepped on the scale on January 1st a few days ago and the scale read 215.6.

I feel sad, angry with myself, guilty...embarrassed. I thought I'd finally defeated my weight problem once and for all. People told me they were inspired by my weight loss. And here I am..back where I started. I feel like a failure.

But, I'm not going to quit. I will start again with the daily logging (no matter how terrible) and exercising. If I did it once, I know I can do it again.

We all can do it again.
  • JuneyCleaves
    JuneyCleaves Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I did it the right way the first time (with MFP and exercise), but plateaued for 6 months and gave up. I still work out and eat healthy, just not with the drive I once had. I'm trying to get that drive back and I wonder what made you get that drive back that you once had? How do you get it and keep it?

I don't have the answer you're looking for, but I'm willing to find it alongside you!

I joined MFP in 2012 and at the beginning of 2014 had lost 57lbs and 60+".
    It's now 2015 and I've lost a 46lbs in total but have gained back inches. I gained 11lbs in the last half of 2014 and I am not pleased about it -- it feels like 50, and because of that I know it has to go.

I'm presently 21lbs heavier than I was at one point in the Spring of 2014 ... so although looking at the yearly timeframe doesn't seem so damaging, seeing how I yo-yo'ed most of the year is petrifying.

Anyway, if you're looking for a pal come seek me out.
    Same goes for anyone else looking for and to provide a positive and honest network of support.

JC.

• DDouglas59
    DDouglas59 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up! I had lost 43 pounds at this time last year only to gain back about 30 of it though out the year! Finally made up my mind and totally pissed at myself got back on the horse have lost almost the 30 again since the end of October and going to just carry on! Good luck and you can do it!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    So this is my 3rd time at this, hopefully it will be the charm! First off I have been hypothyroid my whole life, never had a problem with weight until kids and gained significant amount of weight with each pregnancy due to my thyroid levels not being checked and monitored very well. Weight loss is very challenging having hypothyroid but not impossible. Back in 04/05 I lost most of my pregnancy weight after my first 2 kids (they were 4 and 5) I went from 215 to 155 following weight watchers (130 was my goal). Then I went through divorce and got remarried and had my last child and gained the weight back plus some up to 240. In 2010 I started MFP and started the journey again and went from 240 to 160. Then some personal/family issues happened and I got depressed and quit exercising and watching what I ate and I put all the weight back on plus another ten lbs so here I am at 250!! :( . I'm ready to go at this again with a lot of lessons learned. I wasn't so upset with the first two times I gained weight because they were both in part mainly because of pregnancies, its this last time that really has me upset with myself for gaining the weight. I do feel like both times I lost weight I did in healthy ways so in that way I feel prepared. The part I am worried about most is when things don't go expected or life gets gets challenging etc, I need to deal with them in a better way whether than getting depressed and taking it out on myself and of course the maintaining once I get there. Good luck to all of us in 2015 :) !
  • kevinindelaware
    kevinindelaware Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yep, I too screwed up. March 2012 started a 3 month loss of 61lbs. Over the next 18 months I put almost all of it back on. I'm back and not going to screw up this time. I'm already back down 25lbs. I have a hard road ahead, but I'm ready to do it.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I started back in 2008, found MFP and used my Wii Fit and went from 158 to 123...started dating an A hole that sabotaged me, got layed off work, unemployed and depressed for a month, then went back to college and a very difficult major for 2.5 years, then diagnosed with Connective tissue disease and I found myself at 185...the heaviest I've ever been. I started MFP again awhile back but went to the calorie limit I used to be at 1200 calories...lost 8 lbs then stopped and started slowly going up... I panicked / got pissed and quit.

Now I'm back. I went to a dietician to verify a good calorie limit for me and have been back since late November. Its been tought through the holidays but I've lost 10 lbs so far. I hope to do better now that the holidays are behind me and I'm hoping to find a gentle exercise routine to add to increase the losing speed.

I'm not there yet obviously... but what has changed is that it is for my health this time, I don't want to hurt anymore and I thought changing what I eat and getting some weight off would help...no matter how long it takes me. :) Feel free to add me.
  • min_lyn
    min_lyn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I can relate, as weight and weight loss has been a focus much of my life. My biggest weight loss took place in 2009 when I went from about 208 to 165. I lost it healthily using MFP and by exercising. I honestly don't know what caused me to stop...laziness...falling back into old habits...all of the above, but since then I have had various stints of motivation and my weight has ranged from around 165 to 220.

I am 36 and my current weight is at 207...down from 215 on December 7th. I am DETERMINED that this time will be different and that I will do this! The main thing I feel that is different this time is that I am doing it for my heath. I want to be healthy. I want to be active. I want to feel good in my clothes. I am not going to deny that it was initially discouraging, knowing that I've been here before. But I have gotten past that hurdle and now it just feels good to move easier and to feel better...knowing that I am eating healthier.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Lets see...
    In 2000 I lost 80ish lbs on Meridia gained about 20lbs back and maintained that until I got pregnant in 2004. I was 240ish when I delivered that baby. I hovered in the 220s until 2008 when I joined weight watchers. I lost 20lbs and found out I was pregnant. I was 252 when I delivered my second son. When he was about a year old I went on phentermine. I was 224. I got all the way down to 140 and got pregnant with my 3rd baby in 2012. Back up to 242....And I hovered in the 220s again until last August. I'm down 20 since then and will soon be back in Onederland. No more babies, hoping to get at and stay at goal this time. <3
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    bumpin
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!