Personal Trainer

Options
Does anyone work with a personal trainer? How long have you worked with your trainer? How do you know when you're good to go on your own? Do you work til you reach your goal and then stop? I ask because I love working with my trainer, He's the absolute best and I'm afraid to go on my own .I still have at least 2 months left, but no where near my goal and everytime I think about it I get nervous. I know some exercises and work on my own some when I don't have appointments but I just don't think I can reach my goal of 50 lbs more in my time left. Natural born worrier, gotta stop. Any thoughts???

Replies

• cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Do you have to make that decision today?
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When you started out with your trainer what were you goals? To lose weight or tole
  • keepmovinstrong
    keepmovinstrong Posts: 101 Member
    Options

cblue315 No I don't have to make that decision today. :D
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I worked with a trainer for a year and a half. Loved her and she really helped me get back to lifting. I wound up no longer working with her when we had a fundamental disagreement about how heavy a deadlift should be.

I did a pretty fantastic job overall being on my own for another year and a half. It was becoming clear though that my programming was playing to my strengths instead of working on my weaknesses, and made the decision to start paying for programming tailored to me as well as coaching. I am loving the improvements in my lifts, as well as how independent I still am - I don't have someone standing over me telling me what to do, just the expectation that I get my work done
  • keepmovinstrong
    Options
    chaNyn613 When I started out my goal was to lose weight. At my initial weigh in I found out that I was 121lbs lean muscle and 81 lbs body fat so I want to get to down as much as possible. At November weigh in I was 121lbs lean muscle and 67 lbs fat. So yes I am progressing and I've lost 4 inches in my waist and more. Haven't had my new years weigh in yet.
  • chaNyn613
    Options
    chaNyn613 wrote: »
    When you started out with your trainer what were your goals? To lose weight or to learn how to lose weight? I have been with my trainer for about 3 yrs. We meet usually 1-2x a month depending on our schedules. I am totally comfortable in the gym on my own and could do it by myself. Usually there is at least a time period I don't see him for a couple of months and my training doesn't lapse. For me, I choose to spend $ for these sessions rather than food, going out, spa treatments, etc. Commitment to my workout has never been an issue. Clean eating is more of a challenge for me :-\

I have every workout he ever made me in my noteook so I can refer back to them as I wish. Do you have copies of the workouts? Can he show you how to change them, more weight, reps etc to continue? Can you make a weaning off plan because it sounds like it might be more nervousness than lack of commitment. Maybe a session can be a reward at a later interval?
  • keepmovinstrong
    Options
    I have no problem paying for the sessions. I don't have a copy of the workouts. I could probably ask him to make me a copy of them. He has a folder of them. I make notes of what we do on my phone after each session . I just am not sure of the exact weights. Lack of commitment is not my problem I just know I signed up for 6months (48 sessions) and I have time I just don't want to have a moment once I'm done and ruin what I've worked so hard to accomplish. I will probably ask to sign up for a few more months . Or for ever how long it takes to get to where I'm comfortable.
  • chaNyn613
    Options
    Ask him to make copies for you. You paid for them. Is there a time limit/expiration date so to speak? Can you stretch the sessions out so you can see how you do on your own?
  • keepmovinstrong
    Options
    i'll have to ask Monday. I don't think there's an expiration I think it's til I complete my last session. I go twice a week most weeks cept the last 2 weeks I went 3 times. Next week I'm back to 2 times a week.