Carbs Question

Options
Sorry if this has been asked. I'm new to this.
Entered in my food for breakfast and lunch into my food diary. And I'm already WAY over on my carbs. Aren't carbs in EVERYTHING? What should I eat for dinner? Should I just skip dinner?
My huband made a run to Great Harvest this morning. That's why I ate so much bread. I thought, I was doing fine cuz of portion control. Obviously not.
I'm mad at myself. I need to learn more about nutrition. Aggh!

Replies

• Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    No, don't skip dinner! Have some type of lean protein and a veggie. Carbs are in a lot of things but there are good carbs and bad carbs. Anything processed (white bread, white pasta etc.) are "bad" carbs. Try to stick to whole grains like oatmeal (not the sugary flavored stuff), brown rice, quinoa to name a few.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    I generally eat around 30 grams of carbs total per day. I don't eat sugar or grain, my little bit of carbs come from veggies and fruit.

My dinners are usually a meat dish or eggs and some green vegetable. There are no (or very little) carbs in meat and a lot of dairy. And a lot of produce options don't have a heck of a lot of carbs, and the carbs they do have are a good % fiber.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    carbs = sugar

there is natual sugar in milk, so things like yogurt or just a glass of milk still adds carbs.
    fruits have sugar in them (naturally) so they're carbs too.
    obviously, sugary treats add carbs...
    and I'm sure you know breads add carbs.

SO, if you want to not eat them, focus on proteins: eggs, meat, etc, and vegetables.

& carbs doesn't inherently = bad. your body still needs carbs to function. just try to find balance :)
  • a_freeman
    a_freeman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Not everyone counts carbs as their diet of choice. I do and it has worked well for me. I bought the New Atkins diet book but you could find the salient parts online at atkins.com. It gives you lists of recommended foods. Check out my diary. I eat eggs and cheese in the morning, protein and salad in the afternoon and low carb dinners. If you want to cut the carbs, you'll need to cut way down on the bread
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's a huge variation in carb goals - I think 30g per day is too low, I aim for about 100g per day, but I see many diaries with daily goals much much higher than that.

And as always, eggs are the answer :smile:

Have an omelette.
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! You guys are GREAT! I'm thinking an omelette sounds perfect for dinner :)
    I haven't been on MFP for very long. But I LOVE it here. Before being here I would probably just skipped dinner and felt like crap. Its so nice to get advice from everyone. Thank you all SO much!
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    this is a great site...go to it and spend some time on it....it will answer all your questions

www.lowcarbdiets.about.com/

let me know what you think

Bill
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The great thing about keeping track of what you eat is you realize what you should eat more of and also less of. I slowly learned what are good, filling calories and what aren't. Don't skip meals..if anything just try not to eat as many carbs with your dinner. Like if you are having dinner rolls...obviously skip out on it but only if you are following a low carb diet. I pay the most attention to calories and fat. Whatever diet you are following just be sure you are netting 1200 calories a day. Good luck!
  • Hellsbells42
    Options
    I'm doing the low carbs high fat diet, and it works a treat. I try not to get over 30 carbs a day, but I do allow myself to get over that occasionally (like today, when my son had cooked a delicious lasagne). Make sure you get enough proteins. All vegetables and fruit that are high on fructose should be avoided. Same goes for bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. You'll have to find out which diet suits your lifestyle best. I tried it the MFP way for a week, and I gained weight. Switched back to LCHF and lost weight.