Avocados may be causing an upset stomach.

Options
It wasn't up until maybe a year or two ago that I tried avocado for the first time. Since then, I can probably count the number of times I've eaten avocado on one hand.

Tonight I made some shrimp tacos that had a fresh mango and avocado salsa on them, and almost immediately afterwards my stomach became very upset. Thinking back, I think I felt this way most (if not all) of the other times I've had avocado.

I eat them so rarely that I honestly can't say for sure if it's the avocado that's doing it. So I was wondering if anyone else experiences an upset stomach after eating avocados? Is it something that might possibly pass if I were to get used to eating them?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    If you continually get sick after eating something, I would probably stop eating that food and speak to my doctor.

People have different food triggers for stomachaches. If it's a chronic issue, it's time to talk to a doctor.
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you continually get sick after eating something, I would probably stop eating that food and speak to my doctor.

People have different food triggers for stomachaches. If it's a chronic issue, it's time to talk to a doctor.

Yeah, normally I would go see a doctor, but right now it's a little premature. Like I said, I've only eaten avocados maybe like 5 or so times in my life, and those times have been pretty spaced out. I was just wondering if avocados upsetting peoples stomachs was a thing that happened on even a somewhat common basis.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel bad stop eating it, there are plenty of other foods out there. Avocados are not a requirement in life.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    ebbingfat wrote: »

Yeah, normally I would go see a doctor, but right now it's a little premature. Like I said, I've only eaten avocados maybe like 5 or so times in my life, and those times have been pretty spaced out. I was just wondering if avocados upsetting peoples stomachs was a thing that happened on even a somewhat common basis.
    No.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I eat avocados everyday and I feel fine. :# They are helpful for regulating hormones which is why they are on my weekly grocery list. Maybe you might have some type of intolerance towards them. If you really want to test it out, eat them plain by themselves and see how you feel... It could also be the food combinations with avocado that can upset your stomach.
  • Winterlove28
    Options
    I ate an entire avocado today......shame...on...me....

I'm sorry they upset your stomach they are delish!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    My question is that everytime you had avocado did you eat shrimp or similar with it? I ask because everytime I ate shrimp/prawns/crabs after I became a teenager I had the same issue,