Replacement exercise for squats and lunges--

Options
I have arthritis in my knees. 3 doctors and 2 physical therapists have advised me to avoid all squats and lunges (and running too). After watching a family member recover from knee replacement surgery I've decided to listen. What is a good replacement exercise for squats and lunges? Thx

Replies

• TMBocage
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/364173-how-to-strengthen-legs-with-bad-knees/#page=1

Here's an article that should help. I've tried the water treatment and it feels great.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    what did the physical therapists say you could do?

edit: i have patellofemoral syndrome and arthritis. for cardio, i can bike, walk and swim (no breaststroke/frog kicks though).

for quads, i do leg raises from the floor and standing, and partial body weight squats (with no more than 30 degrees flexion) - these were prescribed. working towards low step downs/ups on alternate days.

hamstrings and glutes: glute bridges (prescribed), these important for knee health too. I can also do cable kickbacks (need cable machine; not prescribed but feel ok). GHR on roman chair.

i can NOT do leg presses, i think this twigged me into some pain I'm experiencing right now.

avoid the knee extension machine, it does not work your knee in healthy ways.

but you really have to get information from your doc / physios about your specific pain issues.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    When I first started out - my knees were absolute garbage. I hated replies saying "squats and lunges" as my only way to get an *kitten*.

Anyway, Someone recommended donkey kicks. I love them - they do not kill my knees and I feel like I get a good workout in the glutes. You can also use a glute isolator machine in the gym. I started with just doing them at home, then added ankle weights to increase the intensity.

I have also seen videos of people using resistance bands to help increase intensity.
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Check out Jessica Smith TV on YouTube. She has a workout especially for people with bad knees. I've used it at home when I can't get to the gym. I'm also trying to avoid knee replacement for a while longer. Don't do anything that hurts in the knee or under the kneecap. Wall squats at 30-45 degrees also work for me but be sure you keep your weight in your heels. Good luck.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Pennies95 wrote: »
    I have arthritis in my knees. 3 doctors and 2 physical therapists have advised me to avoid all squats and lunges (and running too). After watching a family member recover from knee replacement surgery I've decided to listen. What is a good replacement exercise for squats and lunges? Thx

What did the PTs recommend?

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Aqua exercise! You'll have full range of motion. At my Y, there are even specific classes for people with arthritis that use a warm pool.

After I broke my leg last fall, my first workouts were Aqua fitness and by the end of each class I had full ROM back. I'm still working on that, but I see definite improvement. Also, after the second class, I noticed I no longer limped on the injured leg.
  • Pennies95
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies! Lots of good idea. The PTs didn't give many any specific to do exercises, just told me what to avoid.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Interesting. You should talk to your treatment team and get a list of exercises to work on. Anytime I've taken knee damage the RX was generally squats and lunges.

Plus, neat thing, your treatment team should have a pretty good idea of what actually is wrong with your knee, and could speak intelligently about it.
  • tomatoey
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Aqua exercise! You'll have full range of motion. At my Y, there are even specific classes for people with arthritis that use a warm pool.

After I broke my leg last fall, my first workouts were Aqua fitness and by the end of each class I had full ROM back. I'm still working on that, but I see definite improvement. Also, after the second class, I noticed I no longer limped on the injured leg.

What happens in Aqua fitness, exactly, out of curiosity? I hear it's very good, but can't really get a sense of what people do from descriptions.

edit: dbmata's totally right, get clearance for everything, OP. I went lone ranger with the leg presses and it's not good.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

What happens in Aqua fitness, exactly, out of curiosity? I hear it's very good, but can't really get a sense of what people do from descriptions.

edit: dbmata's totally right, get clearance for everything, OP. I went lone ranger with the leg presses and it's not good.

it's zumba- in the water pretty much- they do have little floaty things that provide some resistence- even as a fairly fit high schooler- I popped into a few classes- I got my sweat on as it were- they are nice because they are easily taylorable to your skill/fitness level- what you are willing to put in- you can get back- and you can go light- or really hard- or go hard for "your level" and it's fine and it's easily adjustable. I highly recommend such classes for people who have bad joints- or can't go out side for long periods of time- hell even walking laps back and forth in the pool is really good for you.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

it's zumba- in the water pretty much- they do have little floaty things that provide some resistence- even as a fairly fit high schooler- I popped into a few classes- I got my sweat on as it were- they are nice because they are easily taylorable to your skill/fitness level- what you are willing to put in- you can get back- and you can go light- or really hard- or go hard for "your level" and it's fine and it's easily adjustable. I highly recommend such classes for people who have bad joints- or can't go out side for long periods of time- hell even walking laps back and forth in the pool is really good for you.

Nice, thanks! I didn't think it was possible to push it in a class like that, good to know you can :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I used to be an adventurer, but then I took an arrow to the knee.