macro nutrients

Options
I'm 55 male , 5'8", 233 lbs., 35.5 BMI.
Want to lose 35 lbs.
what should be my Carb., Fat, Protein daily intake?

Thanks.

Replies

• jahuntley27
    Options
    For starters, I am not a doctor or clinical dietitian, but have been training for 20 years and have read many books and have tried many diets. With that disclaimer out of the way.

I like low carb diets, so I would do the following:

First, determine your lean body mass. If you are 233, but are 28% body fat (random %, you would need to get an estimate of your current body fat level), then 72% of your weight is lean body mass (LBM).

Lets say your body fat is 28%, then at your weight your LBM is 168lbs. Lets say you need around 2200 calories to maintain your bodyweight, I would start with a caloric deficit of 250-500 calories per day. Exercise will further increase the caloric deficit, but lets ignore that for now. So, lets start your caloric intake at 1800 calories per day, divided as follows:
    • 1g of protein per lb of lean muscle = 170g of protein in this example (700 calories) - grass fed beef, chicken, fish
    • 150g of carbs (following example 600 calories) - natural oatmeal, berries, ezekiel bread, sweet potatoes, brown rice
    • remainder of calories from high quality fats - grass fed beef, olive oil, avocado, omega 3 eggs (60g or 500 calories)

Break that into 6 meals a day and drink 8+ glasses of water a day. This is not a ketogenic diet since ketosis is never achieved, but it is lower carb and will help stabilize blood sugar and hormone levels which I find very helpful.

Some people find low carb diets much easier to follow than diets containing a relatively greater amount of carbs. Others may find it more challenging. If this does not work for you, then you may want to try a more balanced diet (lower calories from fat and more from carbs vs. what is stated above). However, before doing that I would give it a week and see how you feel.

Best of luck!
    James
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    35,30, 35 to start, then adjust as needed. You don't need to do anything but eat at a deficit to lose weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Except for sodium, which should be 1500 instead of 2300, the MFP set-up is a great way for you to start, IMO. :)

Give it a shot, see how it goes. Unless your doctor has told you to be careful with sugar, swap tracking sugar out and replace it with fiber. Fiber isn't just good for us, it's a great help with staying full, too. If you aren't taking in much now, increase it slowly noses you want to bloat and fart like a madman. :)
  • racnsdd
    racnsdd Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Check out iifym.com they have a calculator