What time of day do you run?

Options
Runners, what time of day do you usually run?

If you have do it at a certain time because of work or other obligations, weather, etc. when would you run if those things were non-issues and you could go any time you wanted?

Is there a certain time that's considered "ideal" in terms of getting optimal benefits from the workout, or is it just a matter of preference?

Thanks!

Replies

• mskon
    mskon Posts: 64
    Options
    On weekdays I run in the evening so my husband can watch our kids once he's home from work. On the weekends I run in the mornings. I like mornings better because my energy level stays up throughout the day. Besides in TX it's just easier in the mornings thanks to humidity and insane temps LOL!
  • mjp202
    mjp202 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    On weekdays, I usually have to run early before work. If I had more free time, I'd run mid-morning so I could be properly hydrated and fueled, especially for longer runs and speedwork, which is what I try to do on the weekends.
  • Carek99
    Carek99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't like to run (or walk like I've had to since an injury). However I do like to "have run". Consequently, I get the most "have run" time in a day by getting up early and doing it first thing.

I currently do this at 5:45 in the morning so I can shower and head to work afterward.
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    My most favorite time to run is right around 6am... but because I've gone back to work, I have to run whenever I can make time!

And with a full time job, busy kids, a sweet husband that deserves more attention than I can give.... fitting in a 2 or 5 or 10 mile run is difficult sometimes! Honestly, I usually end up running at 3:30pm, RIGHT after work... or on a random Saturday morning if the kids don't have prior engagements that require "Mom Taxi".

Early AM runs are the BEST though... sunrise, brisk air, peace & quiet... you can't beat it!
  • cowpoke06
    cowpoke06 Posts: 171
    Options
    I've always read it's better to work out in the morning. Helps jump-start things, keeps you energized for the day. However, I am NOT a morning person. My morning run would be like noon, which isn't ideal because that's prime sun time during the warm months and I can't handle that. Right now I run at about 7 pm...after I get home from work at 6 pm...which is aok with me. I've actually gone on runs before at 11 pm. However, if I could pick anytime, I seem to feel the most motivated around 4 in the afternoon. It's cooler than mid afternoon and I haven't lost my motivation yet so that I need to pep talk myself into working out :)
  • daddyzgurl
    daddyzgurl Posts: 58
    Options
    I always run at lunch time (on my lunch break at work). It gives me motivation and energy to make it through the rest of my day. I eat lunch at my desk afterwards.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    when the neighbors dog gets out of the fence
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I like to run in the mornings when my energy level is at it's highest. Second choice, lunch time.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I tend to run somewhere between 10AM and 3PM, mainly due to weather. It's still bouncing back and forth between hot and cold where I live, so I'm aiming to stay between 50 and 65 degrees outside for my runs. As it gets hotter, I'll be going earlier in all likelihood.

When my days were more structured, I was in the habit of running at lunch. I was fortunate that my office had showers!
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    when the neighbors dog gets out of the fence

:laugh: Awesome.

So is running in the evening, say 7:00 PM or so, less beneficial?
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Beneficial from what perspective? I don't think it makes a difference to your cardiovascular fitness whether you exercise in the morning or night. Your calorie burn will be the same either way. Some people choose to run in the morning because the exercise energizes them for the rest of the day or because of time/schedule/weather concerns.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    7.30am - weekdays and weekends. I just love going out early in the morning and doing something so positive! if I waited until later, I'd never go out at all because I tend to just get really stuck into work, and by the time I'm finished (which could be 10pm, could be 6pm), the last thing I want to do is go out jogging. :bigsmile:

Besides, going out early in the morning means very little chance of meeting the drunks (there's a hostel a few hundred yards from my house, and the residents often use the same park I jog in)!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    There's no problem with running in the evening, no. I just find that if I wait until evening, I end up skipping a lot of runs. More excuses pop up all day long and I'm tired by evening. I'm just more consistent if I plan to go earlier in the day. ;)

And, I'm ravenously hungry about 3 hours after a run, so it's nice not to go to bed hungry, too. ;)
  • andyj1984
    andyj1984 Posts: 76
    Options
    Morning or evening, depending on what type of shift I am on. I prefer running in the morning, but when I'm doing an early shift at work its just not possible (I am NOT running at 4am!) LOL
  • gregoryk1121
    gregoryk1121 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tend to run in the morning so I just get it over with. If I wait till the evening after the kids go to bed it's dark, need to give hubby attention, etc. My ideal time to run is right before dinner/mid afternoon. I'm so much slower in the morning!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I run in the evenings after work, after practices, after games. I've been known to run at 10pm. I'm a night owl and have never been a morning person. However, I am considering running during the day on my lunch break. I have the kind of job that gives me enough flexibility to do so.
  • chrisallcock
    chrisallcock Posts: 173
    Options
    its said that first thing in the morning is best as you will only burn fat as you havnt consumed any calories yet
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    Beneficial from what perspective? I don't think it makes a difference to your cardiovascular fitness whether you exercise in the morning or night. Your calorie burn will be the same either way. Some people choose to run in the morning because the exercise energizes them for the rest of the day or because of time/schedule/weather concerns.

Yeah, I meant in terms of getting the best cardio workout possible for my body and burning the most calories. Thanks! :smile:
  • missmiller1
    missmiller1 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I usually do weights in the morning and then I run outside at 8pm for an hour or more. I eat dinner at 5:30pm and I have to let my stomach settle or I get terrible stitches! I do wear a reflective vest for safety reasons.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Because of work I run in the evening normally, but for the next two weeks I will be running in at about 5:30 AM..