Love baking... recipes that aren't so unhealthy? Cookies are a favorite

Options
groversa
groversa Posts: 450 Member
I love baking. I adore the process and I have fun doing it!
Most of the time that I bake things I give a majority to people, mostly my boyfriend and his roommates. But I know my boyfriend also wants to try to be more healthy and can't resist cookies that I bring him.
So instead of not baking and not gifting him with yummy treats, do you have any favorite recipes that aren't as bad as the normal. Could be low cal, no sugar, less fat, anything that you have and love!

Replies

• groversa
    Options
    Forgot to mention, this isn't limited to cookies! Yes, definitely post your favorite "healthy" cookie but you can feel free to post for other types of goodies!
  • groversa
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm a baker (I sell my cupcakes and cookies) and I haven't really found many good low-calorie recipes tbh. My husband likes these muffins, which have banana and applesauce subbed in for the oil:

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2012/11/11/skinny-chocolate-banana-fudge-muffins/

The thing is though, and I find this is usually true, they're not really less calories than regular muffins. They're 109 calories per mini muffin. My regular ones with butter are usually around 220-250 for a full sized muffin.

Personally I always find the lower cal recipes disappointing, so I just weigh out one portion of whatever delicious thing I'm making and I send the rest to work with my husband. He's in the Navy and his coworkers never complain.
  • sexymonicat
    Options
    Baklava is good.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,818 Member
    Options
    This is a tasty treat, especially right out of the oven when they are warm. I've popped them in the microwave for that just out of the oven affect. If I recall correctly, two of these are 2 WW points (but I am not 100% sure):

Ingredients
    2 very ripe bananas (think brown to black colored peel)
    1 cup of quick oats
    1/4 cup chocolate chips

Directions
    In a bowl, mash bananas well.

Mix in the oats.

Fold in the chocolate chips.

Spoon tablespoons of batter onto a lightly greased baking sheet.

Bake on 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
  • groversa
    Options
    Thank you all :)
    I found a recipe for chocolate avocado cookies on pinterest. Tried two variations, one ended up being 117 cal/cookie and the other 78 cal/cookie. They are pretty yummy! I know I'm the one who posted this, so if you're interested you can message me/send me a fr :)
  • groversa
    Options
    This is a tasty treat, especially right out of the oven when they are warm. I've popped them in the microwave for that just out of the oven affect. If I recall correctly, two of these are 2 WW points (but I am not 100% sure):

Ingredients
    2 very ripe bananas (think brown to black colored peel)
    1 cup of quick oats
    1/4 cup chocolate chips

Directions
    In a bowl, mash bananas well.

Mix in the oats.

Fold in the chocolate chips.

Spoon tablespoons of batter onto a lightly greased baking sheet.

Bake on 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

I've made something that has similar ingredients without cooking them, cooking them into a cookie sounds delicious and having them warm sounds even better :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Baked goods and cookies are, and are supposed to be, calorie dense. If nobody really want it, but you are creative and giving, start making something else, why not try knitting or painting or woodwork!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    If you like pumpkin, you can make muffins out of a cake mix and canned pumpkin. Just these two ingredients. We like spice cake, but you can use any cake mix. I think they are under 130 calories each. I freeze them individually and take them out as needed for a quick breakfast or snack.
  • woggsybug
    woggsybug Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I'm not the only one who loves to bake but is trying to eat healthier! :-) snowflake930 I love that idea!!!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    We enjoy these whole wheat banana nut muffins. Made these tonight.

cas0uu1fmceh.jpg
    • 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
    • 1 tsp baking soda
    • 1 tsp cinnamon (apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice is also good)
    • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
    • 2 tbs ground flax seed
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 cheetah spotted bananas)
    • 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
    • 1/2 cup honey (or whatever sweetener you prefer...maple, agave, brown sugar, etc.)
    • 2 slightly beaten eggs
    • 1/4 cup hot water
    • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (pecans are good too)
    • 1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry and mix well. Stir in nuts and raisins (or whatever add-ins you like). Spray your muffin pans (I used silicone pans, so didn't need to spray) and spoon in about 1/2 cup batter per muffin. Bake for about 30 minutes on middle rack. Makes 12 muffins. I ususally make these as mini muffins (just cook for about 20 minutes), but went big tonight.