Any suggestions on estimating canteen food?

Options
I have just started with MFP and find the tool extremely well functioning when cooking for myself.
However, at work i'm part of a canteen lunch setup. And i'm probably not going to bring my own food with me, so how do i estimate what's on my plate?
I'm surely going to eat less of this food (even though it's quite good and fairly healthy). But obviously there is no "barcode" to scan, there is no nutritional list of content, there is no scale and most dangerous of all, often the dish is made up of several foods in combination, which makes the estimation very difficult.
Has anyone had the same problem and has come up with a practial way to do this?
And even if i had an estimate (based on my knowledge and the way i cook myself), is there any way to enter this into MFP as a "combined" food or "multiple food" or anything the like?

Replies

• vicpoole188
    Options
    Good luck with this one.
    You don't realise how much sugar, fat and cream is smuggled into the healthy looking food.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    yj1ozgy3biek.jpg

This is picture is imperfect, but for now, think of the palm of your hand as three or four ounces of meat.

Look for things that are very plain that you can estimate. Stay away from cheese that you cannot measure. Cheese can add tons of calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There are websites out there that give you portion size estimates, try googling it.

And 3oz of meat is way smaller than my palm, for what it's worth, but the rest of the picture is pretty accurate.