picky eater, no full kitchen

I've run into a major issue when it comes to eating healthier. I don't have access to a stove or oven, only a hot plate, microwave, and toaster. I'm also very picky so I find myself eating out a lot when I'd rather find less expensive alternatives I could do here at home. I don't like most sauces (I do like spaghetti), don't like any dressings for salad or condiments in general.

Replies

• purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    edited January 2015
    NuWave oven? We've one, and it's wonderful.

Ummmm.....rice cooker? It's a great addition to a kitchen. You can cook more than rice, you can steam vegetables.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Yeah, I think gadgets might be the answer.
    - Indoor grill (Foreman type). I have a kitchen and I'm looking into one of these
    - Toaster oven can do many many things
  • Yeah I've been thinking those things are the way to go. I'm renting a room and don't have kitchen access so those gadgets would come in very handy. Thank you for the suggestions.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I've run into a major issue when it comes to eating healthier. I don't have access to a stove or oven, only a hot plate, microwave, and toaster. I'm also very picky so I find myself eating out a lot when I'd rather find less expensive alternatives I could do here at home. I don't like most sauces (I do like spaghetti), don't like any dressings for salad or condiments in general.

Tell us what you DO like besides spaghetti. That would let us give you helpful suggestions.
    Do you have a refrigerator?
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Yep, do you have a fridge? What do you mean by hot plate? Is it what I would understand by a hob or gas ring?
  • I.have a fridge. The hot plate is basically a mini electric stove top, but doesn't get nearly as hot.
  • I can do the typical sandwiches, and other things that don't need to be cooked. I'm just looking for creative ways to use the things I have to make myself some hot meals.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2015
    I have an electric stovetop with 2 burners, only one of which is worth using, a microwave, a toaster oven and an electric grill (like a George Foreman, but cheaper). If you have a refrigerator you are set.

I cook simply, but it's cheaper than eating out all the time. I love the electric grill. I can cook chicken in less than 10 minutes - less than 20, if it's frozen. I microwave all my fresh veggies because they maintain more nutrients that way than by boiling.

I'm a picky eater too - I hate greasy food, white sauces, etc. It's easier to cook for myself than to pick the olives out of a salad at a restaurant. ;-) Although I do like eating breakfast out.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    What kind of things do you like to eat?
  • RodaRose
    Google this: Grilled Sandwich and Panini Recipes - Martha Stewart Living
    You can make Martha Stewart's recipes in a frying pan over your hot plate.
    Google this: 40 Delicious Things You Didn't Know You Could Make in a Microwave

In the microwave you can make bacon, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, fish, meat loaf, chicken and mushrooms, rice, and baked potatoes topped with anything you like.

Think of this as adventure.

• RodaRose
    How many Watts does your microwave have? Do you have some basic cooking containers and lids?
  • nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    what about a crock pot I have a small one for dips that I cook small batches of chili, beans, or spaghetti for me and my husband.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Get a slow cooker, electric skillet, electric grill or toaster oven to expand your options.

I don't have a microwave but I'm pretty sure you could do things like baked potato, vegetables, oatmeal, eggs, bean burritoes. Look up some microwave recipes.