Chinese Food

Options
I'd like to avoid the pitfalls. What are good entrees to order?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get egg foo young with egg drop soup.
    That or steamed chicken and vegetables.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My favourite is Cantonese Chow mein. Lots of different proteins, veggies, and my favourite of course... noodles! It's probably not the healthiest thing on the menu depending on where you order from, but there's nothing deep fried or breaded in there at least. Portion control and you're good.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When I go, which isn't very often I generally get the bad stuff, then I'm satisfied for another 6 months.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Look up some random things in the database and you'll have an idea of the calorie count. I'm not overly fond of Chinese food but I'd have some soup (egg drop or wonton), chicken and veggies with no sauce if they have, or shrimp in lobster sauce with a bit of rice.
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone.

I realized that I'm plum out of luck with my old standbys. It's astounding how caloric Chinese food is.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You could try ordering "off menu", or ask if they have a traditional chinese menu (as opposed to the standard menu, which probably isn't traditional chinese (assuming you're in the U.S.).
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I get the things I like, but now I ask for them to steam everything and to put all sauces on the side. Sauces on the side is a big one. You can also weigh everything out and cut the meals in halves or thirds and save the rest for later.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I always go for the Chicken and Broccoli and have them put the sauce on the side instead of mixing it in.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I always go for the Chicken and Broccoli and have them put the sauce on the side instead of mixing it in.
    Sauce on the side is smart.
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    Thank you! Great ideas!!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. Tread carefully with that stuff. I like the chicken/broccoli no sauce idea. Everything steamed, nothing fried, no breading etc. Noodles are high cal. I haven't gotten anywhere near Chinese food since I started this process last March. I've given up Chinese, Italian, Mexican.... sigh. If I'm forced to go out to eat, I get a grilled chicken salad with the dressing on the side and I pick out anything high cal like cheese, croutons, etc. I try to get out of it altogether though because it's way too expensive to go out these days.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    If its a buffet I load up half my plate with steamed rice, the other half with a vegetarian entree/fresh veggies, then a bowl full of fruit for dessert.

I log it as "toomuchdamnfood" chinese buffet 1.5 plates.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I get various meat and veggie dishes w/ brown rice. Hot and sour soup. Spring rolls.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Oh wow. Tread carefully with that stuff. I like the chicken/broccoli no sauce idea. Everything steamed, nothing fried, no breading etc. Noodles are high cal. I haven't gotten anywhere near Chinese food since I started this process last March. I've given up Chinese, Italian, Mexican.... sigh. If I'm forced to go out to eat, I get a grilled chicken salad with the dressing on the side and I pick out anything high cal like cheese, croutons, etc. I try to get out of it altogether though because it's way too expensive to go out these days.

Why?!
  • Christineclendaniel
    Christineclendaniel Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »

Why?!

Agreed, why?

Anyway, to answer, I usually get shrimp with broccoli.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so you have had zero Chinese, Italian, or Mexican since March of 14, which would be like nine months ago???

why?

I eat Italian, mexican, etc and have had no issues with weight loss, maintaining, or gaining…

weight loss does not have to be torture….
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    My Chinese restaurant has limited vegan options, I always get bean curd in garlic sauce. Deep fried tofu, mmmmm. But i pay for it with water weight the next day. So worth it.
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    I will say I feel more in control at a buffet. I eat a plate of fruit first, and often will make my own soup. It's the ordering in that has got me a bit off center. Many years ago, many, many years ago, we had a Chinese delivery that had section for dessert. All fruit, orange wedges, and lechee fruit, pineapple, etc. They also had this slim pickings box where some things were steamed, sauce on the side. Also, special dishes the chef created to be lighter. Several light soups. They changed hands, and with it went the fruit, and slim pickings offerings.

Now we have Chinese take out that is just a box with steamed dishes. It's easy to order from the box of steamed items, however, I was hoping to learn the dishes that are by nature lower in calories on their regular menu. I'm clear on the no dumplings , eggrolls, noodles, anything breaded, covered in a sweet sauce, if I want low calorie. It's the other dishes I'm not sure of. Is there certain dishes that are low calorie from the get go? I was thinking if I could find a dish low calorie, maybe I could add a steamed vegetable entrée to it to make it even lower calorie, but still yummy.
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    Melimom! Ahahahaha! Love that entry!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Steamed entrees are best but, BORING. I usually get a pint Won-Ton soup and one egg roll. Plenty of food.