Crockpot yogurt

Gidzmo
Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
If anyone likes making yogurt, you might like this. Remember, you do need yogurt with live and active cultures for a starter (much like you need starter for sourdough bread).

thriftyfun.com/Crock-Pot-Yogurt.html
This recipe makes inexpensive and easy yogurt (regular or Greek) in your crockpot at home. Basically; you heat the milk to 180 degrees, cool it to 110, add a bit of plain live culture yogurt to the mix and keep it warm for a few hours to grow, cool it, strain it and eat it!

Replies

• woggsybug
    woggsybug Posts: 10 Member
    How neat! I have never really thought about making my own yogurt , but I think I will give this a try!! Thank you!
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    I have been wanting to try this, great information!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited January 2015
    Thanks, will try this. Greek yogurt is very expensive where I live. Well, at the rate I get through it.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    I am confused why it took 5 hours on high to bring the milk up to 180 degrees. It never took that long in a pot on the stove.

Also if you use raw milk you only heat it to 98-100 degrees. The recipe looks more complicated than it should be to be honest.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    I tried making yogurt from scratch. The hardest part: keeping the constant temp after the cooking (our oven at the time didn't really work all that great for the purpose).
  • Homemade milk kefir is much easier to make at home and has more probiotics that yogurt. It's made a room temp. You can buy the dehydrated grains on line. Something else to look into! I highly recommend . Just google how to make milk kefir for more info
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Homemade milk kefir is much easier to make at home and has more probiotics that yogurt. It's made a room temp. You can buy the dehydrated grains on line. Something else to look into! I highly recommend . Just google how to make milk kefir for more info

Thanks for this. I was looking for kefir and I can't for the life of me find it any where! I have some recipes that have this in it.

And yogurt does have probiotics. You just have to make sure that what you buy for the starter states that it has it in it. Also, if you use raw milk, since it's being heated at such a low temperature (98-100 degrees, 98 is the sweet spot) you're not pasteurizing the milk so the natural bacteria in it isn't killed.