Ideal workout?

Options
I have just started going to the gym regularly again after a 4 year break (had cancer - workouts became rather low priority). I have a relatively good activity level but have no idea where to start. Today I did:
- 7km stationary bike at moderate resistance
- 5km treadmill at 6kmh and a moderate gradient
- 17 minutes on the elliptical (then I fell off - ahem)

I'm going to add some resistance training too but can anyone tell me - is this a decent work out? It will be going up once I get over my annual cold.

Advice?

PS. I am 26, weigh 14st and am 5ft8. I know - too heavy.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Awesome job getting back to the gym. :)

Is there a particular reason you did all three machines in one day? If you rotate by day, so like one day walking/jogging, one day biking, etc, you probably won't get bored as quickly.

I generally consider it a good workout if I feel the good kind of tired at the end.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    An ideal workout is one you enjoy and can stick with.

That's a lot of cardio. I highly suggest incorporating strength training since I'm sure you lost strength and muscle mass while battling cancer.

Congratulations on beating cancer
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The one you enjoy and do regularly

But for me it's 20 mins cardio maximum ...high resistance on elliptical to warm up thoroughly ...then squats, lunges, push-ups and weights for 40 to 60 minutes
  • harriyot
    harriyot Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason you did all three machines in one day? If you rotate by day, so like one day walking/jogging, one day biking, etc, you probably won't get bored as quickly.

I actually assumed that was the way you were meant to do it! I might do 2 of 3 then - for variety.
    603reader wrote: »
    That's a lot of cardio. I highly suggest incorporating strength training since I'm sure you lost strength and muscle mass while battling cancer.

Congratulations on beating cancer

I am going to add some strength stuff too but the guy in the gym was mega busy so I'm going on Tuesday to be shown the ropes in that area. I definitely need to work on muscles and strength - I'm like a weed at the moment!
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    The one you enjoy and do regularly

But for me it's 20 mins cardio maximum ...high resistance on elliptical to warm up thoroughly ...then squats, lunges, push-ups and weights for 40 to 60 minutes

I'll stick with what I like then! :)

Thank you for your advice, guys! It's much appreciated.