150 pounds to lose and disabled.

Options
I've always been big. I'm obese from having children and being disabled from 7 ruptured disc in my back. My exercises are limited due to the pain it causes. I am wanting to lose my weight back off. I had lost 120 before I had children which was 20 years ago. My daughter is over weight and very depressed because of being over weight. I am wanting to help her and try to motivate her to exercise. But if I can't exercise, how can I motivate her to do it. Friend request are welcome.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Focus on changing the amount of food. Exercise is a small part of weight loss.
    Seriously, leave her be unless she has specifically asked for advice. Take good care of yourself and maybe she will become inspired by your energy and success.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kids may learn better from example than by being told what to do. Like RodaRose stated, you really do not need to increase exercise to lose weight. You can lose weight through your food choices alone. Start logging to give yourself a starting place. There are some very helpful posts in the forums, especially the ones at the top under "announcements."
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It really starts with eating habits. You and your daughter can wok together and motivate each other. Also, I'm not sure about you mobility, but walking helps too. If that is out of the question you can easily lose weight without exercise, many have. How old is your daughter? Does she have a favorite activity? If self confidence is an issue there are plenty of YouTube workout videos for all fitness levels. (I suggest fitness blender)

I suggest buying a food scale and logging everything you eat. You can lose weight by eating things you love, just less of them.
    Talk to your daughter and work out a plan and fun challenge for yourselves. Best wishes to you!
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    First of all, let me express my empathy for your disability. I have recently have spinal surgery (a year ago) because my spine was impinging on my spinal cord and the nerves to my arm causing complete numbness and disability. I also have a knee what is waiting for a replacement. I can't get through a day without large amounts of pain killers. I also have a bulging disc in my lower back caused by arthritis. I know how hard it is to find an exercise when you are physically in pain. I use a cross trainer and stationery bike, but have to take pain killers half an hour before to get through it. People suggested to me to swim as it is non weight-bearing but I just didn't want to as I hate my body at the moment. It is said that weightloss is 70% diet and 30% exercise. I use my fitness pal, and just use my KJ allowance if I hadn't exercised, so if I get into surgery I don't have to stop my plan to lose weight. Even little steps can make a different, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. My philosophy when I first started (a few weeks ago - it's always the first few weeks that are hardest) is that I didn't want to gain MORE weight, so that was my goal for the first few weeks.
  • whitespider360
    whitespider360 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help and support. My daughter has asked me to help her, she is 14. Had to home school her because she was bullied so bad in school because of her weight. I've never been a big eater that's what I don't understand. I'm never hungry because of the meds I take. I'm a diabetic and the meds takes my appetite away. I think my metabolism has bottomed out. I have no energy to do anything and when I do it hurts me for days. But I do it anyway, because I refuse to just sit and do nothing. Weighted in this morning lost 5 pounds in 3 days. My daughter lost 7 pounds in 3 days. She is over the moon. She loves money. So I told her I would pay her $1 for ever pound she lose. That $7 made her smile so big. Haven't seen that in awhile.