Weightloss with calorie content

Options
Hi
My name is Karen, and I am attempting to lose about 60 lbs if I can by August. My doctor said I could eat anything as long as it is 1500 calories, no more, no less. The problem after 2 days is that I am unable to get to that number, or I am a little over. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks....

Replies

• rgupta1111
    Options
    1500 Cal is about 500 Cal less than the normal 2000 Cal /day which is about 3500 less Cal per week which is about 1 pound per week. I think as long as you can track your weekly calorie in a balanced way, you would lose weight. Good luck !!!
  • trajanAz
    trajanAz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hitting an EXACT calorie target (neither above nor below) is very challenging, are you sure you didn't by any chance misunderstand your doctor in some way? I'm sure as long as you're around 1500 every day you're fine. If you're in doubt it doesn't hurt to put a call in to your doctor for clarification.
  • magicsgal2012
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. My doctor said 1500 calories 2x and my boyfriend heard it too. Things that are helping, are tracking my food via the website to see just how much food has in it. I am a perpetual weight watcher, who never had to watch calories, so it is new, but I will put a call in to him this week to double check. What I am finding is I am eating things that have a lot of sodium in them and I am trying to veer away from that.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. And look at your nutrition for the past 7 days, not just today. (It's easier in the app.)

Eating 1,400 today and 1,600 tomorrow is exactly the same as eating 1,500 each day—and it's way less stressful!
  • magicsgal2012
    Options
    Logging in has really helped me. I do have the app too, I will use that. I didn't know that eating 1400 and 1600 tomorrow is the same thing. I am glad about that, and yes, I don't think anyone needs more stress, that only wants me to eat more!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I agree, 1400 today and 1600 tomorrow will balance out to 1500 each day.

Also, there is no way your doc meant for you to be exactly precise when she said 1500. 1485 or 1520 is perfectly fine.

If you finish your day's meals and find that your calorie total is 1485, you do not have to panic and try to find a way to eat precisely 15 more calories before bedtime. Conversely, if you see that you went over your calories by 25 or 50 or even 100 calories, don't feel like you are required to get a quick workout in to force that perfect 1500 end result for the day.

There is certainly a science to counting calories, and the numbers matter. But there is also an art to it, and with that comes the understanding that real life means inconsistencies and fluctuations and approximations. Keep those inconsistencies fairly small and you should be just fine.