Fussy Eater

Can anyone recommend low calorie food for fussy eaters? :)

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    What kinds of foods don't you like?
  • I only eat apples, oranges from fruit and veg I would only eat potatoes, i'd mostly eat chicken etc
  • yesimpson
    Easy things to do would be look at how you're preparing things. So if you like chicken, obviously baking the breast in an oven is less calories than deep frying the legs, that kind of thing. Boiling/roasting are ways of cooking potatoes that don't require using fat which can help. Be mindful of adding butter/sugar to things as that can add a lot of calories.

You might want to consider ways of 'sneaking' veg into sauces. You don't like any veg at all besides potatoes? Have you tried all the ways of preparing them, like roasting, steaming, blending, eating them raw? Our tastes change as we get older, so it might be worth revisiting stuff you didn't like as a child cos you might like them now. I don't have any issues with tastes/textures so I'd probably just make myself eat some veg even if I didn't particularly care for it, but your aversion may be something I can't relate to and it might not be a valid suggestion.

Do you like pasta, fish, cheeses, bread, anything else? You could try making a list of everything you like, and googling healthy recipes associated with those ingredients for a bit of inspiration.
  • Thank you! I'll try the idea with veg in sauces and revise what I like and dont like and try the healthy recipes :)
  • yesimpson
    Best of luck!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    I only eat apples, oranges from fruit and veg I would only eat potatoes, i'd mostly eat chicken etc

That's all you eat?!?! You need to broaden your palate! Try eating veggies with hummus or greek yogurt dip or even salad dressing.

Mix berries with greek yogurt or in oatmeal.

• emmab852012
    emmab852012 Posts: 82 Member
    I am also very fussy.. I only eat chicken and get bored of it really easy... I would recommend making smoothies, you can throw in some spinnich to help get in your vegetables for the day while still making it taste good. Protein powder would be a good purchase.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Try edamame. It's kind of sweet. :)
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    My recommendation is to try experimenting with different ways of preparing foods that you don't think you like. It did the trick for me. I used to think I hated vegetables. I never understood how some people liked them so much. The only veggies I would eat were corn and potatoes. But then one time I tried roasting some veggies instead of steaming or boiling them. They were SO MUCH BETTER. Now, I eat vegetables all the time. Usually they're roasted, but sometimes I eat them raw too. Once I found a way that I liked them, I slowly built up a taste for them and am able to tolerate them other ways.

Seriously, I recommend roasting some vegetables to see if that does anything for you. It makes for a filling, low calorie meal too. I normally do cauliflower, carrots, red peppers, broccoli, sweet potatoes, onions and garlic, tossed lightly in some olive oil and then lightly salted and heavily peppered. It's nice too, because it's so adaptable. If there's a certain spice or seasoning you like, throw that on them. Any veggies you find you like or don't like, just mix up what you use. I'll sometimes add in things like brussels sprouts and asparagus, or whatever else I have on hand.
  • Yeah I was thinking of trying smoothies out :) .. Thank you guys I'll try them out!:)