Cardio HIIT Question

Options
It took me a little over a week to finally talk myself into it, but I'm doing it; cardio HIIT. I have to admit, it's not as bad as I made it out to be in my head. It makes the time go by faster than I expected.

But my question for you is... how many times a week should I be incorporating cardio HIIT into my weekly workout schedule? Twice, three times a week? Is it all personal opinion? How many times do you do it per week? Just curious as to what you guys are doing... I want make myself faster and stronger!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    3x a week I lift for around 45 minutes and then run a mile HIIT style, 30 seconds at 4 mph, then 2 minutes at 8, a minute at 4, then two minutes at 7-7.5 till I bust out about a 10 minute mile. On a day I struggled I may change it up a bit an be an 11 minute mile or a better day a 9 minute mile.

I regularly hit 175-180 HR while doing it. For me it's more conditioning so I don't lose all cardiovascular health over winter while I don't run/bike nearly as much.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I only do HIIT now. almost every day I'm not outside.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Depends what your base fitness is like ? if your a total newbie to Fitness then HIIT not a good idea, If you have built up your fitness then three times a week has been proven to burn fat and increase Aerobic and Anaerobic fitness.

For my HIIT sessions on a spin bike, I warm up for 5 mins then 30 secs max pedalling approx. 115-120 rpm (HR 165-172) then 3 mins easy pedalling 90rpm but light resistance (HR 115-125) I repeat this six times then that's my HIIT session done, simples.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    For some reason the above session has also increased my walking pace per mile speed , I used to be hard pushed to get 16 min mile but can now walk at 14.30-15.00 mile pace no bother.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I will be starting Insanity Max 30 HIIT workout on 1/5 which is 5 days per week.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    DeeTee68 wrote: »
    For some reason the above session has also increased my walking pace per mile speed , I used to be hard pushed to get 16 min mile but can now walk at 14.30-15.00 mile pace no bother.
    We usually walk at a pace that is comfortable for us. Seems like if your legs and heart are in better shape that could make comfortable pace faster.
  • Cantaloupe321
    Cantaloupe321 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this really was helpful. I think I'm going to aim for twice a week for now, then see how I feel after. I really love running outside, but it's been a very rainy winter here. It'll be nice to have a new workout to do on the treadmill since I get bored easily on there.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    HIT is supposed to be close to your max output. In order to do so, it's recommended no more than 2-3x a week or less. In order for you to go all in, you need to rest muscles enough. The time you need to restitute depends on a lot of individual factors. I'm talking cardio here, I don't know *kitten* about lifting.

It's a VERY efficient way of training...if done right.

If you're not doing max output; panting hard, you're doing higher intensity in AEROBIC range, which is not the same.

For me, I know I'm in the zone when I'm able to sustain 93-97% VO2 max for over a minute or more. If my body is willing to go there, the pain is hard and then the beta-endorphins are released in waves...effectively giving me a high.

I would recommend a variety of intensities across the week because it's not so hard on the body. As mentioned above, if you haven't conditioned your body to tolerate HIT, you risk injuries.

I typically do 2x HIT sessions baked into 1-1,5 hrs, walking/running and yoga rest of the week as restitution sessions.

Recently tried 10x1 minute with 30 secs break in between on indoor cycling. That was very challenging!

Find music that pump you up and are very rythmical make getting there so much easier :)
  • takumar
    takumar Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm with a group of four that does HIIT twice a week in one continuous 45 minute session.
    Typically that will be 16-20 cardio drills done with no break except for the usual 10 seconds to switch stations or equipment. All this on a Tabata timer to keep the pace.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    2 or 3x a week max for me or I just end up having a horrible workout. I do steady cardio and lift the other days.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    For me, I know I'm in the zone when I'm able to sustain 93-97% VO2 max for over a minute or more.

The classic Tabata form is a handful (4-8) of ~20 second intervals at >150% V02max.

95% of VO2max is great, but it's really just solid running.