Please help!!

Options
Hello!

I've got to go to a work meal tomorrow night at an Indian restaurant (possibly the worst place they could've picked!)

What's the best dish to have calorie-wise? Bearing in mind I don't eat meat/fish?

Any help would be great - I'm starting to panic as don't want to go over my calories & won't have any time to exercise tomorrow to burn anything off!

Thank you lovely people of MFP x

Replies

• Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can look at the menu ahead of time online? That way you can plan ahead.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was curious too, and found this: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/337327 Good luck!
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can look at the menu ahead of time online? That way you can plan ahead.

Yes I agree. Also I went to lunch with my daughter and had Thai food and it didn't blow my calories for the day. I just adjusted my meals for the rest of the day.
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If they have aloo saag that is a potato spinach dish that is quite good and not as high in calories plus you'll get lots of nutrients in it. or dal is yummy and filling.

I just found this at lovestrong.com

Healthy Curries
    Curry dishes are spicy dishes that contain meat, fish, paneer -- Indian cheese, and/or vegetables, generally served over basmati rice. When dining out, the American Heart Association recommends curries with a vegetable or lentil-base, rather than those that contain creamy sauce, high-fat beef or lamb, which are higher in saturated fat and calories. Nutritious curry dishes include mixed vegetable curry, fish curry prepared in a tomato-based curry sauce and sabzi, or dry, curried vegetables. When preparing your own curries, use olive or canola oil, or non-stick cooking spray, to brown onions, rather than butter, and substitute whole milk and cream with skim or low-fat milk. Season your dishes with spices, such as turmeric, curry powder, garlic and pepper, which are naturally fat-free and low in sodium. When possible, choose brown basmati rice over white rice, for added nutrients and fiber.

Tandoori Dishes
    Tandoori dishes include breads, such as naan and roti, and meat and vegetable kabobs, prepared in a large clay oven. Many tandoori dishes are low in fat, since the grill itself adds smokey flavor and meats are typically marinated in plain yogurt and natural spices. The American Heart Association recommends tandoori chicken tikka -- white-meat chicken kabobs, as a heart-healthy alternative to korma dishes, which are prepared with high-fat coconut milk. Tandoori roti is made with wheat flour and provides more nutrients and fiber than white breads, such as naan. For further reduced fat, request breads without oil or buttery topping and choose chicken, fish and vegetable kabobs rather than beef or lamb. Tandoori meats are typically served on a bed of vegetables, such as sliced onions and peppers. For additional benefits, request extra vegetables or a fresh vegetable salad on the side.

Lentil Dishes
    Lentils are legumes, or starchy, podded vegetables, that provide valuable amounts of fiber, protein and nutrients, such as B-vitamins and iron. Baljekar recommends incorporating lentil-based dishes into your diet, whether you are a vegetarian or not. In addition to their nutritional benefits, she describes lentils as versatile and easy to prepare. Indian dishes prepared with lentils include dal tarka, a spiced lentil soup; dal makhani, a creamy lentil dish; channa masala; chickpea curry; and poppers, lentil "chips," often served as appetizers. Dal tarka is generally lower in fat and calories than creamy dishes, such as dal makhani. When preparing your own dal makhani, substitute low-fat milk for coconut or whole milk for a healthier adaptation. Vegetables make simple, nutritious additions to lentil-based Indian dishes, in restaurants and in your home. Poppers are generally deep-fried at restaurants; however, they can be prepared without oil in your microwave. Since microwaves vary in intensity, experiment with small increments of time to prevent burning.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/322008-indian-diet-food-list/#ixzz1LPiOvtly
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    You could get a curry dish, I make it all the time at home and it's not bad at all.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I would just chill out. One night of Indian food won't kill you. Just go out, I usually get tiki masala (I get lamb but I'm sure you can get tofu or veggie). Get a veggie based appetizer- eat slowly and until you are full and just don't sweat it.

The world will not end if you go over your calories. You will not instantly gain any real weight. I promise.

You will retain water for a few days so just do yourself a favor and do weigh in for at least 3-4 days. Preferably a week or more.
  • beckyb64
    beckyb64 Posts: 11
    Options
    I've looked on line at what the possibilities are... I'm just wondering what the best option is? It's hard to tell what dishes have lots of butter etc in. I'm thinking just something relatively dry might be best but really unsure...
  • beckyb64
    beckyb64 Posts: 11
    Options
    I would just chill out. One night of Indian food won't kill you. Just go out, I usually get tiki masala (I get lamb but I'm sure you can get tofu or veggie). Get a veggie based appetizer- eat slowly and until you are full and just don't sweat it.

The world will not end if you go over your calories. You will not instantly gain any real weight. I promise.

You will retain water for a few days so just do yourself a favor and do weigh in for at least 3-4 days. Preferably a week or more.

You're probably right - I know it won't make too much difference, I'm just trying to be as consistent as possible. I won't go OTT but as long as I don't gobble it all up I suppose it doesn't matter just for one day.

That LiveStrong article looks really good - thank you everybody!!