Shake question

Options
DanniB423
DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
Hello! I have decided to start making shakes for lunch. I am totally a breakfast person and really want to "eat" at that time. Like actually chew something? Not sure if that makes sense. But at lunch time I find myself feeling like nothing sounds good and annoyed by figuring out lunch. Anyways.. I have found many recipes on Pinterest using greens and fruit and proteins. I was wondering if you guys prefer using protein powder or Greek yogurt as your source of protein in the shake? Does it really make any difference? I have never used protein powder in anything. What do you like in your shake?

Replies

• CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My smoothies are usually a lunch thing. I love using protein powder. If i buy yogurt, my family eats it all up when i'm not looking. The protein powder is always available.

Yogurt would probably help make a thicker shake or smoothie but i get around this by using fiber powder. I can always use the fiber.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Do you make lunch at home? The reason I ask is that I could never make a shake at work, which is where I am every day at lunch time. I'm not a shake drinker, so I can't really answer the question, but I'd say to experiment with ingredients to get something that you like. Then examine your nutrients at the end of the day and see how your shakes affect that.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I put vega (myvega.com) in my shakes. It doesn't have the same taste as protein powder and I prefer it when I want to add a bit of protein to my shakes. Greek yoghurt is also a delicious way of getting protein in, especially in a smoothie - helps add to the texture.
  • DanniB423
    Options
    yes I work from home as a personal attendant to my sister who has special needs. So I am home! I may just try both and see what I like better. Thanks for the tips! :D
  • DanniB423
    Options
    Almost forgot I need a blender. I do not even own one! Lol. That may be step one ;)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I happen to use both Greek yogurt and protein powder in my shakes. There can be a big difference to both flavor and texture depending on what you use. Play around and see what you like best. If you don't want to buy a whole tub of protein, look around and find some of the sample-sized packets to try.
  • julieepadgett
    julieepadgett Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm kinda new to the shake thing. I looked on pinterest and found some that sounded good. I'm using the whey protein powder, unsweetened coconut milk, kale, ground flaxseed and mixed frozen fruits. It's really good and it does fill me up :)
  • pandagirl813
    pandagirl813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    With fruit shakes i always freeze my fruit and go easy on the liquid. It makes it thick enough to eat it with a spoon like soft serve ice cream.
    I've never used protein powder before but when i need an extra boost i'll just add a spoonful(1-2 tbls) of peanut butter.

This is one of my favorites and when i don't have an avocado, ill add 3-4 strawberry's.
    http://www.texanerin.com/2013/01/banana-orange-avocado-smoothie.html
  • MissNikki320
    MissNikki320 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've recently started using Fitmiss Delight Vanilla Chai protein powder and I really like it. I mix one scoop with 6 ounces of strong coffee and a serving of unsweetened almond milk and it is so good!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have one of the shaker bottle to use to mix my shake up. I use flavored greek yogurt, some milk, some fiber powder and a scoop of protein powder then shake really well. You can thicken or thin it by the amount of milk or water you use versus the greek yogurt.

I usually use my shaker bottle because I don't feel like messing with the blender, but I am thinking I am going to start using it more often to get some additional fruits and veggies in for each day.