Losing weight with depression?

Options
Can it really be done? I've struggled with my weight my whole life, and it's gotten worse around the last five years when I first started getting the first symptoms of depression (I haven't been diagnosed or anything like that, but I pretty much fit every criteria for clinical depression and it has never gotten better). It's been really tough and I've tried countless diets and programs. Of course... nothing worked in the long term or even at all.

But I really felt that 2015 is going to be the year of change, and now I'm more determined than I've ever been before. I've put my dreams on hold for years and I'm soon turning 23. Isn't it time for life to begin? Right now?

So I'd love to get some support from you lovely people on here. Especially people around 20-25yrs or that have depression, it would be great to have someone that knows how it's like and relate to. Even though I can be a bit shy I love to help people out any way I can, and would also love to get to know new people.
Support is key for success, right?

My goal, btw, is to lose 33kg/72lbs within a year...!

Feel free to add me! (:

Replies

• ephraimshere
    ephraimshere Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Depression is hard to get through but it can be done. You can do this. Actually, a great workout can release dopamine and help you feel happier! You are strong, remember that!
  • Erebekah33
    Erebekah33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know what it is to struggle with depression since I was15! I can say is that once you get to making a exercise like walking everyday for about 30/45 mins a day..it will get easier..it takes alot of you believing that you can and will..You are a young beautiful girl, search also spiritual meditation on scriptures if you believe in the Lord.Do mean to offend you..For me it works..It will change every way you see your self and what others say or think won't matter..Beacuse we are all wonderfully made..just in different ways! :)
  • warlaur
    Options
    Depression sometimes feels like an endless struggle. No amount of "you can do this" will help when you are feeling your worst. I think taking part in exercise does lift your spirit at least some. Making a promise to yourself and keeping it is something that no one else can do for you. If you can make yourself happy, then you can truly make other people happy. I hope you do well. Even though I don't know you or what you feel depressed about, I understand your struggle.
  • michellepuls
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with depression, PTSD, anxiety and manic depressive (bi-polar) and I'm 23. I find it difficult to stay on track, I leave little notes around the house, reminders to keep on track and encouragements. It makes a difference! Start small with your workouts and build your way up, if you over do it you cam discourage yourself, I set small goals and when I complete my goal I make another a little bigger its been working for me :smile: feel free to add me
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with clinical depression and was on a high dose of anti-depressants. Having been depressed for over 30 years .. it can be hell but you can totally do whatever you want. Depression can totally be overcome. But I ditched the drugs and no more depression (since starting exercising regularly) .. no more anti-depressants and got to my goal and have now gained 15 lbs since. Giggles .. I am gaining now on purpose.
  • Japandreams
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your kind words and support!<3 And the tips are really helpful - I'm taking them to heart and I'm currently walking everyday and trying to feel more faith/hope and strength to carry on with everyday life. I've been eating healthy, exercising a little everyday etc for a week now and I can already feel the difference! I was very deep into the depression during the holidays (as many others I can imagine...) but right now I haven't had any depressive thoughts or anything like that 95% of the day because I'm so into doing self care, eating regularly and sleeping in earlier so I simply don't have any time or energy to think about it! I think the dopamine can have a lot to do with it too. Still waiting for that "high" Iv'e been hearing a lot about though. Hehe. (:

I also understand that this is something that I'll have to continue to work on, everyday, not just for a few weeks or months. And I'm going to do it! And I hope that all of you who have written in this topic really take care of yourself this year and continue to fight depression or any other struggle that you may also have! Thank you all.<3