optimistic, but no support

Options
Hi - i am 45 and started my first low carb diet, no, first real diet ever. The calculation on the past 2 days says I would be 6 lbs lighter in 5 weeks. So i shared my excitement. My supports response?..."the biggest looser contestants loose that in a week!" So without hesitation, i knew that i needed to log for support. Thanks in advance for any kind words.

Replies

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks what happens on The Biggest Loser is representative of proper weightloss isn't worth seeking support from anyway. MFP is a great tool for you to use. Just stick with it, and don't let others negative attitudes derail your progress. Every pound lost is a step in the right direction, no matter how slow you lose it.
  • casyb360
    casyb360 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Slow progress is what it is all about! Don't mind what negative people have to say.... I've been at it for 2-3 years now and I've been through enough highs and lows to last me a life time! Keep your head up!
  • hollyshobie
    Options
    thanks! BL is definitely fun to watch, but not real. i"m excited to start this. How have you done today?

• pumpkinmochi
    pumpkinmochi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great job on your progress, as well as with keeping a positive attitude!
  • AlexsMom721
    AlexsMom721 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. We can support each other!!
  • hollyshobie
    Options
    thanks! i ate an avacado for dinner, pretty darn good! do you have any food suggestions that travel well? my nephew in law used to be a surfing photographer and said avacado's is what they use in salt water. Not much use for that in Michigan but wondered what others might have for easy food advice.
  • quickcrx702
    quickcrx702 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You could lose 20lbs in 5 minutes, just grab a hacksaw and pick a limb. LOL seriously though, if you're not morbidly obese don't expect to lose so quickly. Even if you are super obese, you should lose weight slowly to minimize loose skin. Just be patient and consistent. Patience is much harder sometimes than diet and exercise. Also from experience, the closer you get to being very lean, you will lose weight much slower, and sometimes even gain weight from adding muscle. Don't stress about it, just keep making slow progress. Also, 1lb/week adds up to 52lbs/year, and 2lbs/week adds up to 104lbs/year. Small changes done slowly will become huge changes over a long period. Good luck.

Also, from someone else's thread we posted in:
    so in regards to not eating anything from a package or wrapper, i just ate my first avacado straight no chaser. pretty darn good. anything else like that i have been missing out on? I am trying to find food that travels well as i am looking ahead 4 months from now when i might get lazy. lol

Good job getting your fats in, a lot of people are scared of fats for some reason. Just be mindful of calorie intake vs your BMR. I find that hard boiled eggs are great snacks and travel well. The secret is to steam them instead of boil, and the peel comes off super easy. I just put some hot sauce when I eat maybe two or three with yolk for a snack. Another favorite of mine is eating hummus with celery. You need a high powered blender otherwise it'll start smoking and break(done it before), but the secret is to soak the beans overnight with a little bit of baking soda added to the water. Don't put too much though, or it will make the texture way too soft. Don't put too much olive oil, just enough for a smooth texture, and do the same with the tahini. Peanut butter and a touch of sesame oil works as a tahini substitute in a pinch by the way.