Weighing In

Options
How often does everyone weigh themselves? I think that I've become pretty confident in not getting too caught up in the numbers because I want to feel healthy, but I still get concerned that I am not weighing myself often enough. Right now, I aim for about once every three days...

Replies

• SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    once a week the same day every week and morning is usually best.
  • crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    Options
    I do it every day but that's so I can nip potential gains in the butt. I don't stress if the numbers go up, I just know I have to work that much harder to get them back down.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Once a week - Wednesday mornings.
  • katslosingit
    katslosingit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I weight daily in the morning to keep myself in check but I only actually record my weight loss once a week, Mondays.

I do wonder why you would be "concerned that you're not weighing often enough"? What do you mean by that?
  • slimrb2011
    slimrb2011 Posts: 122
    Options
    Once a week...every Saturday morning. I will sneak a peak once in awhile on a Wednesday morning, though. I only record the Saturday morning weight. I take measurements every 2 weeks with my weigh-in.
  • annameeks00
    annameeks00 Posts: 46
    Options
    I do it everyday, but thats just cuz I get anxious.. lol
  • christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's not good to weigh daily because of the differences in water weight that your body may have. So my doc said weekly, the same day, and he said in the mornings after you've gone to the bathroom.
  • clwatlington
    clwatlington Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The body's weight naturally fluctuates. I agree with SassyStef. Weighing in once a week is plenty. I do it on Sunday mornings right after I wake up and go to the bathroom but BEFORE I have breakfast.
  • clwatlington
    clwatlington Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Anna Congratulations on your weight loss.
  • Superdupermom
    Superdupermom Posts: 149
    Options
    I sneak peak every 2 days to see if i need to exercise more...but this scheduled week on here ends on sunday so i weigh myself on monday morning and plug it in on here...on occassion i do weigh myself early on a thursday and plug it in. I think as long as your not loggin it in everyday and not really obsessing over it your fine. but you should stick to the same day..I think the best day is monday because it concludeds your weekly intakes an exercises on here so you see what you need to improve week to week and make sure you do it right in the morning and pee first :)
  • llovegrove
    llovegrove Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself twice a day but I would just get frustrated because my weight fluctuated so much. So two weeks ago I had my fiance hide the scale and we agreed he would get it out so I could weigh on Friday mornings. Its really worked out a lot better becasue my weight is the same...I am not trying to lose a lot more. I want to tone up. When he hid the scale I measured myself and I am going to remeasure this Friday. : ) I have learned to not stress about the weight as much. So many factors can contribute to a pound here adn a pund there. I am judging on how my close fit me! :)
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i try to hide the scales ebcause daily fluctuations in weight can really bring you down!

i also think that weighing once a week, you're more likely to see bigger loss which will make you feel happier
  • jmyers1230
    jmyers1230 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I weigh nearly every day since the scale is in the bathroom I use all the time. (I had it in the upstairs bathroom but then I forgot to weigh myself at all!) I don't record my weight every day though. Usually I record my weight on the weekends, but if the scale shows a loss during the week and it's for 2 days in a row, I record that weight too. I should change my weigh in to Tuesday or Wednesday because often my weekends are the highest calories of my week or the highest sodium and that makes my weekend weigh in a bit less accurate.
  • CarliBez
    CarliBez Posts: 19
    Options
    I weigh myself every time I go to the gym (their scales are more accurate) and always at more or less the same time. Probably 4 to 6 times a week and before the gym session.

I used to be afraid to weigh myself when I know I'd overindulged thus causing a rollercoaster effect of weight gain. I would make regular excuses like "I'll do it when I know I've lost some weight". So by making it a regular part of my routine (like checking the mirror to see if your mascara has not smudged) it's not something I anticipate anymore and I am not taken by surprise at any fluctuations.

I've come to the realisation that everyone should be aware of their weight, whether they are happy with it or not. Like going for yearly dentist checkups, it's my daily weight check-up... just to see if all is well. I think it's healthy to know your body's natural daily fluctuations.

That being said, don't obsess over every 0.5-2 lbs gain. If you have nothing to feel guilty about, it's probably just water retention or something harmlessly similar. The scale should not be an Object.

Clearly I've reeeeaaaaaly been thinking about this :)
  • jpeper1966
    jpeper1966 Posts: 79
    Options
    I weigh daily. MFP can graph your weight for you and the more data you provide, the better the graph. You can see all of the ups and downs AND also the steady decline (hopefully).

If you are at risk of giving up if you gain a little, then do weekly. If you can use your weight loss as reward and your gain as motivation to work harder, then weigh frequently.

Daily weighing also gives you a great education on how different foods, activities, water retention/expulsion can change your weight. On the days you over eat (we all do at times) you will see which foods are easier/harder to lose over the next day or two. You will also find meals/exercise that work well for you and can be used in the future when you need to see a little help to fight frustration. These usually are low sodium meals that just make you lose water, but it will give you motivation by knowing that you CAN control your weight.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Officially once a week. But if I do anything on the Wii Fit I weight myself then too. I tend to take that with a pinch of salt though because the time of day varies so much.
  • cterbogt
    cterbogt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi - while I know you shouldn't, I do it everyday and record it everday. For me personally it's the only way I will stay focused correctly. If my weight is going down every day, even a smidge, then I know I am doing the right thing. If I go up or it plateaus, then I will go back and try and work out what i was doing wrong - or if I ate/did something diff that may be altering things.

My weight has been within 5lbs either way for the past 10 years so I am obviously having enuf of the good and bad to balance things out. I am trying to learn how all my regular foods affect me so I can make changes where necessary. But this is just my personal plan that I need to do to stick to it.

:)