Personal Training Sessions

Options
Hey Everyone!

I have my first personal training session today. Do any of you take personal training sessions? What do you like/dislike about them? Any tips? I have a thing about working out in front of thw whole gym (its kind of small) but I've been going there for so long I think it's time to try and get over that. Any advice or comments would be great!

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have them every week, i have one tonight actually. I got over having people looking at me, I don't really care when I'm trying to do crunches while half hanging in the air. Everyone is doing their own thing anyway. My tip is to let the trainer push you past your comfort zone, but don't feel forced to do anything. My trainer definitely pushes me and if he wants me to do a set of 20 and I'm having trouble around number 15. I'll stop for a few seconds before I'll finish. I've found it useful tho. I started in January.
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    I like cause they push you to the extreme its like with sports and coaches during conditioning.

I don't like ones that count your 20 minutes of running as the personal training session! Make sure to get the cardio in before the session so they don't trick you into paying to run in a treadmill unless they are like interval training you!
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    I like cause they push you to the extreme its like with sports and coaches during conditioning.

I don't like ones that count your 20 minutes of running as the personal training session! Make sure to get the cardio in before the session so they don't trick you into paying to run in a treadmill unless they are like interval training you!
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer for about a year and a half (3 times a week). I only have good things to tell about him. He is the one who calls me and demands discipline, besides he understands that sometimes you aren´t exactly at the perfect mood. To be honest, he is very important to avoid me from giving up my objective. The workout with the personal trainer is different: from the amount of weight you manage to the exercise order and how many reps and rest time between them, all is controlled and focused on your objective. I strongly recomend !
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I have a personal trainer. She sets my gym programmes, and also visits me at home.

We run around in quite public places most of the time - namely city centre streets, lol, because I live in a flat and have no outside space.

I must say that I actually find working out with her LESS embarrassing, yes I might be sweating and panting but people can clearly see that its my personal trainers fault hehehehe.

And she's so lovely, its like exercising with a friend. When I think that I can't do any more, and I'm going to die, she always tells me '5 more' and I some how manage to do it. At the same time, she watches me close enough to know when I need to stop.

The fact that I have to make appointments with her means that I know I'll have a good workout at least once a week. I always see my hour with her as 'me time' too. I'm doing nothing but working on myself for that hour, and thats pretty nice.

I can't actually think about any cons to be honest. Yes sometimes the exercise is hard and you ache a day or so after, but after the session its such a nice feeling to relax and the aches just remind me to watch the snacks!

My only tip is to make sure that you take some water to sip (don't gulp though, causes cramps), and to genuinely try your hardest. Tell em if something starts hurting of course, but a good trainer will know when you've had enough. I'm always amazed how much more I can do when usually i'd have stopped.

And stick with it! It will make a difference. Good luck.

X
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Make sure you find someone you click with. If not, you'll never trust them and you'll never reach your full potential with them. Ive had bad ones who didn't inspire me at all. Ive had personal trainers who were so so and got some benefit from them. The personal trainer that I had prior, during and after my last pregnancy was awesome and I gained much knowledge and motivation from him. AND I had a fantastic fun time training with him. A good personal trainer is worth their weight in gold. Good luck!!
  • Tash_Bgosh
    Tash_Bgosh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How often do you go? I'm thinking about having a session once a week.
  • Tash_Bgosh
    Options
    I have them every week, i have one tonight actually. I got over having people looking at me, I don't really care when I'm trying to do crunches while half hanging in the air. Everyone is doing their own thing anyway. My tip is to let the trainer push you past your comfort zone, but don't feel forced to do anything. My trainer definitely pushes me and if he wants me to do a set of 20 and I'm having trouble around number 15. I'll stop for a few seconds before I'll finish. I've found it useful tho. I started in January.

How often do you go? I'm thinking about having one once every week.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer that I see twice a month and I wouldn't trade him for the world. I actually saw him last night and while my back aches and my arms are a bit sore, I wouldn't look as good as I do without him.

When I'm with him people can clearly see that I'm working out with him, so I don't worry too much if they stare or watch. Half the time I'm so focused on getting through the set or how heavy the weight has gotten, that I don't notice who's around.

As another poster said, make sure you and your trainer click. My guy and I are totally different personality wise, but he can read me like a book. I'm a stubborn pain in the butt and he's very laid back and easy going but he's not afraid to push me to my limit. He knows when I'm not happy/in pain/upset/need a beak. He can tell if I like an exercise or hate it, and now tells me you hate this exercise but you're still going to do it.

All in all their a wonderful tool to have and I hope you enjoy yours just as much.
  • echowein
    echowein Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have one and she's awesome! I had stopped going for a while (about 9 months) because I was getting bored and not motivated and thought I could really do it on my own. Well let me tell you....what took about 1 1/2 years worth of work to be leaner and stronger I lost a lot of the tone in my body. I'm not a super model, body builder fit....totally average gal. She's not that expensive bc it's a group training class offered at our community center, so each session comes out to $15 per hour! I just started back last week and couldn't be happier! 2x a week and I do cardio 2 days. Give it time, but you'll feel better and stronger after a month! Good luck!
  • Tash_Bgosh
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Last night went great and I think this is something I may try to do once a week. Right now I have two free sessions left so after seeing how much it cost I may consider it :)