Night Shift

Options
Hi everyone,
I have been having trouble figuring out how to get in my calories and workout with me working the night shift. I work 7p-7:30. does anyone have any suggestions or tips to get started and to stay on track? my goal is to lose weight and eat more calories. I feel sometimes my body starves some days since my sleep cycle changes so much.
thanks for reading

Replies

• willow232
    willow232 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you. Straight 12 hours nights for me. I often eat breakfast and crawl in bed. Wake up have a coffee, fruit and pb, Then and dinner. Eat lunch around 10:30 pm and then a yogurt or fruit at 5ish. Its hard to get the calories in sometimes and I am tempted to choose unwisely if there are chips or cookies. Had I stuck with the proper choices I am sure I would not be the size I am. Let me know if you find a good system that works for you.
  • cleveland67
    cleveland67 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I guess we're all in the same boat. I too am on nights & trying to figure out my meal times to fit my macros in. The only thing i have down is my workout time which is in the mornings after i get off work.
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    wow that would be really hard. I'd eat to stay awake!
  • cleveland67
    Options
    In my line of work i could easily do that but instead of eating i drink water to curve my appetite.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I work nights as well, 7p-7a.. Im a runner too. I get up around 3pm, drink a cup of coffee, run my route, get ready for work, eat some carbs and protein, and go to work. I work for about three to four hours (depending on how busy we are) and have a protein bar and coffee around 10pm. I eat every two hours through the night, I pack healthy stuff I can eat on the run. I eat salad with tuna, greek yogurt with AllBran buds, nutella with whole grain bread or wrap, steamable quinoa or brown rice, raw fruits and vegetables, etc. When I get home, I'll have some cereal or cheese sticks.. I sleep from about 7:30 am to 3 pm again and do it all over. I've worked nights for 10 years, 4 years ago I lost 50 pounds and have kept it off all this time. This schedule works well for me.
  • msbengbeng
    msbengbeng Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am a active duty night nurse. I work from about 1830 to 0730 and get home around 0830 (4 days a week). My husband is deployed and my children are 14 and 12, so I have started to try to just live the "night life" even on days off. If you try to flip your habits to the same time you would if you were days that may help, it helps me. I treat 1600 like 0400 and so on :wink:
  • trufels24
    trufels24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    LesliePierceRN, you're my HERO!!!! I can not be near Nutella without eating the entire container!

Ok, so fellow night shifter here. I, too am struggling with this schedule. I work 6p-6a friday/saturday/sunday. My position offers no opportunity for consistency. There are nights where I have no calls and I can eat (and have) all night long. Then, there are nights, like tonight where I just ate for the first time.

I'm also a HUGE soda nut, so I am working very diligently to exchange the soda for the water.

I have a Vivofit, and it resets at midnight. So, I will go on one of the hospital floors and walk to get my steps in. My goal is to begin taking the stairs. :-)
  • ashleymoyers1
    Options
    My biggest problem is that I manage a truck stop over night, so every kinds of bad for you food (candy, chips, soda, etc) is readily available,and that's not even counting the 24 hr Carl's Jr attached. And what little healthy food there is is SO expensive. But, keeping the same schedule on my days off is helping.
  • cleveland67
    Options
    Trufels24 im in the same boat with the busy block time. Sometimes it's super busy the other times i can get a 15 min snack break in.
  • cleveland67
    Options
    msbengbeng wrote: »
    I am a active duty night nurse. I work from about 1830 to 0730 and get home around 0830 (4 days a week). My husband is deployed and my children are 14 and 12, so I have started to try to just live the "night life" even on days off. If you try to flip your habits to the same time you would if you were days that may help, it helps me. I treat 1600 like 0400 and so on :wink:

Ill try the flip schedule and see how it gos
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work 11pm to 7am. On nights that I work I'll sleep from 3/4pm to 10:30pm. I log my food midnight to midnight. I typically eat 2x during a 8 hr window. Once at work between 4-6AM, and then again around 11am-1pm. I avoid eating and drinking 2 to 3 hrs before I go to sleep because personally for me, I've found I need to wake up and go to the bathroom in the middle of my sleep if I don't. 3 to 4x a week, I'll hit my gym in the mornings after work for 1 to 2hrs. I also have nights where I am not super busy at work and will go outside and walk for 15-20 mins through out my shift.

I don't have a SO or kids I need to worry about, so I know it can be difficult for those that do. I've been doing the night shift thing for 5 years now though I didn't focus on losing weight and getting healthy and fit until I was nearly 1.5 years into the job. For me sleep is the biggest contributing factor for everything. When I have crappy sleep, everything suffers. I tend to over eat to help me stay awake while at work and don't bother to exercise. Everyone's different, you just have to find what works for you.
  • hp0404
    hp0404 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I also work 12 hr shifts 7pm-7am. It's been interesting while school was out for Christmas. My kids are 11 and 9 and sometimes doesn't always go the way I need it to. My oldest is slightly autistic. I don't always get the SLEEP I need on top of trying to juggle working out.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a 6 pack bag for carrying your food to work. I got one a few months ago and it's great for carrying all of your pre prepared food with you. I always have a quest bar or two for the early hours of the morning when you crave sweet stuff. For meals I have basmati rice with either chicken or fish and lots of veg or a chicken pasta bake to fuel me through the night. Also drink plenty of water to make me feel fuller and have a few protein shakes on hand instead of fizzy drinks. When I get home I have a big breakfast of eggs and or oats with coffee then sleep. Exercise wise I sleep after night shift for a few hours and then train before starting night shift again. Hope this helps and good luck on your journey. Steph.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I did the night shift thing from 5pm-530am for 7.5 years as a Network Engineer and I feel y’alls pain! For me matters were made worse by an accident that wrecked me something bad and I took a long time to mend. But I did get better, of course I hate to say it but getting off the night shift was the best thing for me; I know that may not be what y’all want to hear. But there is certainly ways to lose weight and get in shape on that schedule.

Planning your meals and snacks a head of time will go a long way, also getting in some form of exercise, the easiest and most convenient being walking and stairs (if you have them). You may also want to see if you work place has a Health and Welfare program, some places give employees an hour a day, three or so days a week for working out. It won’t hurt to ask, unless they hit you for asking.

Also, get an accountability partner at work (if possible) someone that can walk with you, that way you can motivate each other.

Oh and cut out the sodas and drink loads of water.

Good luck and best wishes.

DW
  • aus3218
    aus3218 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, what is the recomended calorie intake for each day? I have mine set to 1300 calories