Anyone else Trying to GAIN with 40/40/20%

Options
Hi all, am currently trying to gain weight and build lean mass muscle, at 155lb and 6ft am quite a skinny frame, does anybody have any advice on percentages, ive been advised 40 protien 40 carbs and 20 fat.

When i put on it seems to go straight to my stomach!

Carbs i find easy, protien always too low and fat too high :( !! Im trying to eat around 2700kcal to gain around half alb a week. While following 3 gym sessions with compound excercies a week.

Anyone following any similar?! Many thanks!

PS sorry if in the wrong forum.

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 35 25 so we're pretty close bro.

I'm eating right at 2700-2800 a day as well.
    3 workouts a week.

So it sounds like we're doing a lot of the same things. I'm just 5'7".

Whats youre workout routine looking like?
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    woops double posted
  • prezzacc
    prezzacc Posts: 8
    Options
    Can i ask why your 40 35 25? Im still real new to everything so trying to figure things out!
    Whats your best high protein low fat meal any ideas i can steal :)

Again new to the workout so still learning, trying something like
    Squat , Overhead Press , Deads
    Squat , Barbell Rows, Bench machine
    With Pull ups/ dips ( trying to do them!)

All to gain strength at the mo so 5x3 then when i have some strength will have another look around!
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 40/35/25 also... though I'm not trying to gain....

The biggest difference in mine, is that my net calorie intake is much lower...
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    Can i ask why your 40 35 25? Im still real new to everything so trying to figure things out!
    Whats your best high protein low fat meal any ideas i can steal :)

Again new to the workout so still learning, trying something like
    Squat , Overhead Press , Deads
    Squat , Barbell Rows, Bench machine
    With Pull ups/ dips ( trying to do them!)

All to gain strength at the mo so 5x3 then when i have some strength will have another look around!

I'm just at that because I haven't been able to boost the protein up over 250 grams a day haha. Just don't have the money, so I've let myself have a little more fat. I love pb and stuff anyways.

Every morning for breakfast I usually do a 3 egg omelette with turkey or ham. Then 1/4 cup of skim mozarella cheese.

Definately stick with squatting a lot. It's the best thing for growing in my opinion.
    Throw in some good DB stuff for shoulders/chest and you'll have a good routine going.
    I added DB bench and Arnold Presses to my routine and they really helped.
  • prezzacc
    Options
    Many thanks all!

I like the idea of 40 35 25, cause that would up my fat would be a little easier and agreed with protein. I liked the idea of eggs but never realised they were that high in fat ( Thanks MFP!) Thanks for the workout advice, i like to think Squat is a good all round excercise! Im still new but i read so many things and i KNOW i need to get form right, but it seems like a completed thing so i guess partice is what makes perfect.

Thanks RCKT82 how many kcals is that then?!

Thanks for all the help, can i ask, how long have you been going and how long were your results?! Does the weights actually burn fat as is said?! :)
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    I've been lifting for right at a year now. I joined the gym exactly a year ago. I did a little light lifting for a month or so building up to that point.

I started seeing fat loss and a little muscle gain withing a couple of months. The change in confidence was almost instant.

Lately I seem to be progressing faster because my diet is much better. So with you tracking cals and watching what you eat, You might see results faster.
  • prezzacc
    Options
    Well done , thats great! Im finding motivation hard but am finally getting into it now. Just gotta find the right food to go with! Whats your routine like now?!
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    I acutally just switched routines.
    I did a great one for the last 6 weeks but the volume was kind of high, and it was starting to affect my joints. My wrists mainly.

Now I'm doing a program called dc training.
    You can find it on lockoutforums.com

Basically you pick one workout for each bodypart that you're working. Do your warmup sets, then do ONE really challenging working set. If you fail at 8 reps, you'd take 10-12 breaths, go to failure, take some breaths, then finish.
    The program does a lot of rest pause sets like that. And does some weighted stretching and stuff.

Here's where it gets cool. You have 3 different lifts for each bodypart, that would alternate throughout the week. When you stop progressing on one, you have to quit doing it, and pick a new excercise. So it's motivation. If you like doing bench press, you better keep pushing yourself, or you're gonna have to drop it from your routine.

Mondays routine was
    Flat BB Bench Press
    Seated Rows
    Lat Pulldowns
    Dips
    DB shoulder press
    Then I threw in some abs.

Today I'll be doing
    Leg Press
    Seated Leg Curls (hamstrings)
    calf raises
    hammer curls
    ez bar curls

Friday will be working the same bodyparts as monday, but I've gotta do a different excercise for each bodypart. I won't do an excercise like monday's until next friday. A bit confusing at first but once you grasp it, It's pretty cool.
  • RCKT82
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and accourding to me BMR, I need about 2200-2400 calories to maintain my current weight. I shoot for a daily deficit of about 500-800 calories a day so that I can lose weight. The ratios we're all using are for the same purpose, to develop lean muscle. There are a ton of BMR calculators out there to get a general baseline for you body type. So you can figure how many more calories you need to gain mass. I'd try to find a calculator that considers your body fat % for the calculation.

I've been training for a couple years now. My routines are always changing though. Muscles are notorious for adapting. I noticed a change pretty quickly, but your goals and my goals were/are different. Plus everyones body is different. I typically hear 3 weeks is typical for seeing results.

I'd be a little careful with associating weights with burning fat. you can't directly burn fat. And you can't turn fat into muscle. Fat comes and goes in the form of calories. You can only control your calorie intake and calories burned... which will result in fat loss and fat gain. You have to go through the middle man (calories) if you want to lose or gain weight (whether its fat or muscle mass). That's were our ratios come into play.... All calories are derived from Carbs/Protein/Fat. Each one has it's role in passing nutrients to your body for energy and building/maintaining muscle.
  • prezzacc
    Options
    Thanks guys! Great to hear some advice from people who see results! It all just seems very baffling to begin with, ill stick to simple ideas i think and see how i get on with a basic strength gain 5x3 compounds. And eating the right things! Must sort that out!
    I suppose your right RCKT82, what we eat plays a major role in what our bodies do!
  • RCKT82
    Options
    That's perfect approach prezzacc! I'm always adding/removing things with my diet. I always ask what has been working for others and will usually give it a shot to see if it works for me.... But the foundation of my diet is always the same, its simple and basic!

Keep it simple prezzacc, everything else will follow...

Stay the course bro!
  • prezzacc
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation! A good gym session tonight, with the owner commenting on good form helps alot :).

After filling in my log i see i need to find some high protien and much lower carb foods! Google is my friend!