Cravings!!!

Options
I am finding it difficult to win against very strong cravings.. I have eaten all my calories, spread out through the day so I am not hungry at all. But finding myself opening the pantry doors, just browsing.. something sweet, something crunchy.. anything!!!

I know a lot of this is will power, to overcome the cravings.. but its driving me nuts! Maybe its from the holiday over eating...

Anyone else going through this?? Any suggestions or can you share what works for you.

Thanks!

Replies

• ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Mine is very much out of boredom. I am getting better at finding something to do on the internet, reading a book or taking a walk when I catch myself browsing.
  • cmsincla
    cmsincla Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I found this week to be much more difficult as well. Probably because binging on New Years. Then we got a gift card so we had Olive Garden for dinner yesterday. Then today I just craved Pepsi and brownies (what the heck??). But, tomorrow is a new day!!!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Sometimes snacks happen :)

Three suggestions - 1) have a glass or two of water. 2) Decide on your snack and set a time to have it. I would decide to have mine in 15 minutes or after I did a small task. This usually would result in me forgetting about it. 3) Log it - usually seeing those calories would be enough for me to either pick something else if I was really hungry or just saying forget it!
  • jjw62
    jjw62 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I crave food regularly. Mostly sweets or something that sounds good to me at the time. Sometimes I just want to eat.... I'm getting ready to re-read information from the Beck Diet Solution that gives suggestions/skills for dealing with the thinking that drives our desire to eat, and willingness to give up our goal for something tasty. It talks about how to redirect your thoughts away from the "what the heck..." mentality that keeps me from losing the weight that I want to lose. You might look at their web site to see if it fits for you. I really like it and am going to use it as I try to get back on track with weight loss.
  • cmsincla
    cmsincla Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    jjw62 wrote: »
    I crave food regularly. Mostly sweets or something that sounds good to me at the time. Sometimes I just want to eat.... I'm getting ready to re-read information from the Beck Diet Solution that gives suggestions/skills for dealing with the thinking that drives our desire to eat, and willingness to give up our goal for something tasty. It talks about how to redirect your thoughts away from the "what the heck..." mentality that keeps me from losing the weight that I want to lose. You might look at their web site to see if it fits for you. I really like it and am going to use it as I try to get back on track with weight loss.

Googling this now!!! Thanks for the advice!!!

• savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Some cravings are physical, such as addictions (sugar) or deficiencies (magnesium etc), some are emotional/psychological (boredom, association). Eg, I know I crave hot potato chips in summer. Why? Because it reminds me of being at the beach!

As long as you're getting a sufficient, varied diet you shouldn't have problems with physical cravings even if it takes a short time. For the emotional stuff? Make new happy memories with good food.

I'm a massive chocolate head, I'm also competition prepping right now. My strategy has been to have a varied diet, but also cooking really tasty meals. That really helps distract from my love of chocolate, which under the old days I would have every day! For times when I'm a bit more susceptible, such as pms, I work in small amounts, like a few chocolate chips on my oats.

Bored? Why not use that time to perhaps get something that's a healthier option, but a bit more time-heavy cooking? Could be fun, and have a delicious outcome?