pre workout meal ideas

Options
I do personal training on Wednesday nights and it is INTENSE. I have only about an hour from the time I am out of work until the time I workout. When I try to eat before the session, I find my food is constantly undigested and wanting to come up. If I wait and don't eat, I don't have the energy to push through the session like I should. Any suggestions on what to eat (quick) pre workout so that it will stay down and I have energy?

Replies

• lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I had this problem once so I started eating a banana or low-calorie bar and that helped me with energy and curbed my hunger until I got home.
  • sexyprincess69
    Options
    Try eating something very light, like a salad with chicken a few hours before you workout. Or have a protien bar
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem..can't wait to get some good ideas!
  • alynnbennett
    alynnbennett Posts: 182
    Options
    Try a low calorie protein shake, I personally like the Jillian Michaels chocolate powder one scoop is 100 calories and its loaded with protein which is great for a workout! I usually mix mine with skim milk but you can add it to just about anything!!
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    The easiest thing would be a shake of some sort ideally a shake with good carbs and whey protein will give you a bit of energy and is fairly light on the stomach.

Otherwise you could try:

Some fruit (banana), a couple of slices of toast and some cottage cheese

Protein bar

Slice of toast with peanut butter and a banana
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I eat a handfull of mixed nuts. It's Filling and full of protein!
  • Misty1777
    Misty1777 Posts: 29
    Options
    I also find if I don't have a snack at least 1 to 1 1/2 hrs before my personal training session I feel week and can't give it my best. I usually try to have a Fiberone bar, cheesestick, greek yogurt or something similar before I leave work. It really makes a big difference and doesn't make you feel sick while working out.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I eat Larabars about an hour before a tough or long workout. They are portable, don't go bad, and have no artificial ingredients. they are around 200-230 calories each, though.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's whey protein or Designer Whey, It will give you the right balance of carbs and protein to nourish your body and help you get through that workout until you can get supper. Also make sure you eat protein in 45-60 mins after your workouts because this is the body's golden hour for taking in nutrients into your muscles and reshaping them and your body :)