Newbie from Michigan - Tips?

Options
Hi All....

I just signed up today and hoping this isn't too inconvenient for me to use...I did put the app on my phone too! I am trying to portion size my meals and incorporate more exercise in my day. It seems difficult to write in everything you eat on a daily basis but I've heard from so many people that it really works to keep you in check of what you're putting in your body. I have a horrible sweet tooth and I'm really trying to cut out the refined sugar in my diet. It's been a challenge but I'm determined to kick the habit!

Does anyone have any tips or advice for newbies?

Thanks and good luck everyone!!

Replies

• carlfry
    carlfry Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm from Michigan too :)

Advice - stick to it. Eat back the calories you burn through exercise. Drink your water. Limit your added sugar and sodium. Ya know.. basic stuff :)
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!

For me it's the phone app that's key. I just add my food as I go along during the day and it really doesn't seem like a chore. It almost becomes a game as I aim to stay within my daily calorie goal. Also, you need to be completely honest with yourself and your MFP entries.

Good luck, I know you can do a great job!! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want some extra support.
  • Bartleyk11
    Bartleyk11 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Another Michigander here! I agree completely with kpuccio. It's so easy to find whatever you just ate, with the phone app. It's helped me realize that I was eating about 3X the amount of calories that I should eat - everyday! No wonder I kept gaining weight. After a couple of days, it becomes really easy - and you start to be able to predict the calories.
  • alynk
    alynk Posts: 27
    Options
    I am from Michigan as well! I agree with both of these! Be honest with yourself and enter all the food that you eat, it will only help you understand your eating habits and where you may struggle. Drink lots of water...learn to love it! And start moving, even if it's just a 10 minute walk!

This site has been fantastic for me, I have the app on my phone as well, which makes tracking a breeze!

Feel free to add me if you need more friends to support you along the way! Good luck!
  • jmyers1230
    jmyers1230 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm from Michigan too... but moved to Florida last year. I'm still a Michigan girl at heart though. :)

The phone app is a lifesaver if you go out to eat. I tend to look through different foods on my phone to see what won't put me over my calories or to find something that is not extremely high in sodium.
  • stephcorona
    stephcorona Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    hey im from MI too. I would say make sure to drink lots of water.
  • turbogirl4christ
    Options
    I'm from Michigan too! I agree with the others...just stay honest to yourself about what your eating and drink LOTS of water!!
  • QuixoticTurtle
    Options
    More Michiganders! AWESOME! Anyone belong to the Lansing YMCA? I could reeally use a workout/support buddy.