Over-Eating at Night,Help!

Options
Every morning I wake up with the strongest ambition to not over-eat in the evening. I wake up to a strong breakfast-At least an apple with peanut butter, 2 eggs and toast-I have a fabulous lunch-salad with either grilled chicken or fish and a piece of chocolate-I drink at least 64 ounces of water. I love working out. Running is becoming my passion, I love yoga, and strength training twice a week.

However, it comes evening. I keep preaching, and preaching "Don't over-eat! Don't over-eat! Don't over-eat! Don't over-eat!" I try to eat responsibly around 6. A decent salad, a great meat, and some carbs.

I'll hit 8pm and I must have something sweet. I grab one cookie, then another. Popcorn, chocolate, more chocolate.

And a lot of other forums suggest "Out of sight, out of mind" or "Get it out of your house."

Look, I'm eighteen. I live with my mother, and my (extremely overweight) aunt and uncle. So I can't really force them to start eating lettuce and carrots.

I need some serious advice! Please!!

Replies

• crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary, I would suggest eat more during the day and make plans for something sweet at night. Then you don't deprive yourself of something you enjoy and instead of dreading the evening you can look forward to it when you get to eat your planned sweet snack.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above.
    Also, if you feel like you still want to eat after 8PM and after dinner, you could always try to up your fat and protein with dinner. Make the protein the focus of your meal, rather than the salad, and add on butter or another type of fat to any veggies you may eat. I always find that high fat/protein keeps me full.

Also, willpower is key too, and adhering to moderation. You CAN have something sweet, like a few cookies after dinner. I had three after dinner tonight, and two after lunch earlier today, because it fit into my day. You just have to make sure that you don't overdo it. Takes a lot of time practicing moderation and learning to tell yourself "no" after you've had enough.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Can you pre-log or eat less during the day in order to be able to eat more during the night? Personally, I'm never hungry in the mornings and prefer to have a larger dinner and a very carb-heavy bedtime snack. I adjust for that by allowing myself to eat a very small or nonexistent breakfast (0-300 Calories), a normal-sized lunch (300-600 Calories), a larger dinner (400-800 Calories), and a few bedtime snacks (100-400 Calories depending on whether I experience overnight hypoglycemia or need to get myself above 1200 net Calories).
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to not eat all my calories up so early also so I will have some more at dinner. I think we have to set boundaries with ourselves though and say No, I have had enough and chew gum or brush those teeth and continuing saying No and be strong. You can do it and keep away from rest of the people eating so you are not tempted.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth, then get in bed with a book or little project or whatever and don't let yourself get up. (I'm not sure if I could do that as early as 8, but it works for me at the end of the evening.)

I also play clock games sometimes. "I can have this, but not until 9. I can have this, but not until 10." Actually am doing that right now with hot chocolate. :)

I don't know how it would work with your family, but maybe eating dinner later is an option?
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I like to eat later in the day so instead of eating when I get up (which I have always hated and makes me feel sick)- I start with lunch at around 11 then 5pm dinner, and late meal around 9 pm. I have small snacks typically in between. I try to have a plan for the day so I know what I can eat and how much. I tend to not over eat at night when I do it this way.
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to always have a few rolls of low sodium sandwich meat available. I had the worst eating habits late at night and would feel like I was starving. Roll up 3 pieces of meat and drink a full glass of water as quickly as you can an hour before bed. It has worked great for me. She said if it's the sugar I crave to have 4oz of a diet soda (my worst habit) right after I eat the meat. Not always stellar advice but it does work in my case and I don't head straight for the ice cream.
  • bikergirlalex
    Options
    BUMP!

Thank you everyone for your advice! :) It's very helpful!

Any other good advice so appreciated!
  • frazz007
    frazz007 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    If seeing others in your household eating junk food makes you want the junk food, take yourself to another room. You really can't make them change their eating habits. Watch less TV with all the images of food. Make a list of other things to do instead of eating.
  • ew51719
    ew51719 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to eat right when you're not in control of what goes into the pantry. As soon as I left for college I dropped 15 lbs just because I wasn't eating junk food at home. Also, whenever I feel a binge episode coming on I drink a glass of water and take one of these supplements http://bit.ly/NObinge to hold me over until my next meal. They really help curb cravings in a healthy way!
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I save 200-300 calories for after-dinner snacks.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try the sandwich meat trick, but what has worked for me eating dinner later, and then saving a few hundred calories for after dinner. I do this by skipping breakfast, which works since I work from home and am in front of a screen instead of up and moving. It may not work for you if you're active in the AM.

If that doesn't work for you, keep occupied. Drink a cup of hot herbal tea and either walk around your house or do something mentally stimulating. Clean. Heck, play Candy Crush.

What I DON'T recommend you do is take a caffeine supplement like a previous poster suggested. That will keep you awake and you might end up right back in the kitchen.
  • ew51719
    ew51719 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    the green coffee in the supplement is decaffeinated fyi
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    barneygood wrote: »
    I save 200-300 calories for after-dinner snacks.

This. You could also try alternatives to your favorite snacks. I found out a lot of popcorn I ate had trans fat, so I bought the air popped low calorie kind and I feel like I can indulge without the guilt.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Try giving yourself permission. Say, "I can eat."

Before you put anything in your mouth, say, "I can eat this and I'm choosing to eat this."

Get control of yourself by taking responsibility for your actions. Once you know that you are in total control, it will make the decision to not eat much easier and will make it stick, if that is REALLY your choice.

Right now, you're telling yourself not to, but what that really means is "I want to eat it. I know I shouldn't, but I want to!" When "I'm not eating that" actually means you aren't, it will work.

But the first step is choosing TO eat it.

IMO.

Good luck.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you enjoy eating in the evenings. So, why not save a good portion of your calories to be consumed in the evenings, guilt-free?

Seems that would be a lot easier way to get control of the situation to better suit you and your preferences than is going mental trying to convince yourself to not do something at the time of day that you clearly enjoy doing that thing.