The NuvaRing and you - a question for the ladies

Options
I have recently been switched from my regular pill (Microgynon 30 ED) to the NuvaRing. Whilst I know every person is different I would love to hear any relevant stories you might have relating to how this affected your weight loss journey. Did it make you lose weight or gain? Or no noticeable difference?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Hated it. I swelled. My boobs were as sore as any nursing mother who is bursting. I quit it.

The s/e are supposed to go away after a few weeks, but after 2-3 days, I couldn't take it anymore.
  • thefitcompanion
    thefitcompanion Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been on it since October 2013. The first month was rough because I hadn't been on birth control for years, but after that first month, my body settled out. Between May and October I was able to lose thirty pounds and keep it off through diet, although admittedly I've indulged during the holiday and gained five or so pounds back. I've still got twenty pounds left to go, and so far I haven't had any problems with the NuvaRing interfering with the weight loss.
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Great to hear! So far I haven't had any side effects so that was my last concern. I don't want to go ahead and blame any issues I have losing weight on the NuvaRing so it's nice to know it is still in my control so to speak :)
  • Brittany91389
    Brittany91389 Posts: 32 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm on the Ring and I love it. It's the first BC that has worked for me plus I don't have to remember it every day. Such a relief. I have problems with digestion and it turns out my body wasn't digesting my BC properly (along with all of my other food) so I wasn't receiving the benefits of BC like lower PMS, cramping, lower change of ovarian cysts (which I am prone to) and of course, preventing pregnancy. The Ring changed it. It was a lower dose than what I was on and I've had zero side-effects from it. No weight gain (no weight loss either, but I blame that on my input/output ratio rather than the medication). All BC though can cause weight gain, so realize that and keep an eye on it. If you get to a point where you honestly believe that you are eating right, exercising right, and not losing, talk to your doctor. They might be able to help and get you through the plateau.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I've been using it since the fall of 2008. I LOVE it. I had had lots of problems due to natural monthly hormonal fluctuations (I am very sensitive) and bc pills made things worse. I went to new a gyn who suggested NuvaRing. I was very skeptical, but tried it anyway because he was so confident it would help me. There was a huge improvement from the very first month! No effect on weight that I can tell, but that was the one thing that bc pills never affected, either.
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have problems with digestion and it turns out my body wasn't digesting my BC properly (along with all of my other food) so I wasn't receiving the benefits of BC . .

This is me! Fortunately I still didn't suffer too badly from PMS, cramps etc.. too badly but apparently I wasn't absorbing it either. The ring seems to be taking care of that. Glad to hear it hasn't really caused weight gain (or loss). As long as I am still accountable for my actions, that's what matters!