A Fed Up Emotional Eater

Options
I've got a problem with being an emotional eater. I love food more than I should. I guess you could even say that I treat it like a friend. A very bad friend whom I have an unhealthy relationship with. I rely on food to help make me feel better when I'm sad, stressed, or even bored. When I'm down on myself, I turn to food for comfort only to feel even worse about myself after I've eaten the bowl of ice cream, a snack bar, and then some banana chips. When I feel worse I begin to think things like, "Well, I've already messed up so if I eat more to feel better then it won't matter." And then I proceed to eat more and the cycle begins again. This doesn't happen consecutively, but it happens throughout the day, which at the end of it all ends in me realizing that I ate half the kitchen (figuratively speaking) and now I'm ashamed of myself and wonder why I don't have more self-control.

I know I'm not the only one who struggles with this. I've read article after article on how many people deal with the same battle that I too fight everyday. But why haven't I met more of these people? Or is this something that we just don't talk about very much? Maybe I've been looking for these people in the wrong places?

Here's the thing. I've been on Myfitnesspal now for...a while. I'm one of those on again off again members that gets really jazzed about losing weight but then either life happens or I get bored with it. I've come to realize that I NEED A SUPPORT SYSTEM. So if you're reading this and find yourself in the same fight and/or just want some extra support, please add me on here!!!

It's either I take care of my health now or it gets worse from here on out. I WANT TO BE HEALTHY. I want to be a more healthy weight. I just really need some cheerleaders along the way.

Signed,
A Fed Up Emotional Eater

Replies

• sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, you should check out some of the emotional eating groups. Super supportive, lots of good info all from people. I've seen a professional for almost a year and a half now to deal with my binge eating/emotional eating.

I think you don't hear a lot of people talk about it because it's kind of embarassing, no one likes to admit that they've lost control to a voice in their head and feel like they can't gain it back, and many people just don't understand. I remember talking to a few of my friends and they were just like, "so maybe just stop eating so much?" I lived in a house with a man that binged my entire life and it wasn't until I was 6 months into therapy that I felt comfortable even broaching the subject with him, even though I knew he'd completely understand.

I totally get what you mean about being consistent, getting excited for change and then having that peter out when reality and real life sets in. I think this fluctuation is sort of natural for binge/emotional eaters because we're used to highs and lows and not really anything in between.

Like you, I feel like I've read everything, but just am unable to put it into practice in the long term. My therapist is kind of tough and always comes at me with statements like, "at a certain point, you just have to decide if you want this or not. If you want it, then you do the work to get it. And I know you want it, so you're going to just have to find a way to make you do the work." Or, "Weight loss is uncomfortable. You gained weight because you never wanted to feel uncomfortable. You have to learn to be able to sit with a little discomfort or else nothing will ever change. You'll just keep doing the same things over and over again." She also quotes Yoda a lot, "do or do not, there is no try." She's right, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sent you a message.

You SO aren't alone.
  • fnq86
    fnq86 Posts: 2
    Options
    your not alone. have sent you a message :)
  • Xpecta
    Xpecta Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have the same issue, I just don't have anyone to talk to about it, nor do I really understand it. Would love to add you, we could for sure support each other.