Not Feeling Much Different Despite Weight Loss

Options
Howdy. Back in June, my father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He was always worried about my health, so I promised him that I would change my life. He passed away a few weeks later. I made a thread in the introduction forum around that time and I'm pleased to say that I've made a heck of a lot of progress. However, despite my weight loss, I can't say that I feel much different. I'm just shy on 5′11′′ and will be 28 years old on the 9th. I'm unfortunately the shortest man in my immediate family tree. Here are my weight loss progress records.

June 29th, 2014: 318 lbs.
July 6th, 2014: 315 lbs.
July 13th, 2014: 311 lbs.
July 20th, 2014: 308 lbs.
July 27th, 2014: 303 lbs.
August 3rd, 2014: 298 lbs.
August 10th, 2014: 295 lbs.
August 17th, 2014: 291 lbs.
August 24th, 2014: 287 lbs.
August 31st, 2014: 284 lbs.
September 7th, 2014: 280 lbs.
September 14th, 2014: 276 lbs.
September 21st, 2014: 274 lbs.
September 28th, 2014: 272 lbs.
October 5th, 2014: 269 lbs.
October 12th, 2014: 266 lbs.
October 19th, 2014: 263 lbs.
October 26th, 2014: 262 lbs.
November 2nd, 2014: 258 lbs.
November 9th, 2014: 257 lbs.
November 16th, 2014: 252 lbs.
November 23rd, 2014: 249 lbs.
November 30th, 2014: 247 lbs.
December 7th, 2014: 243 lbs.
December 14th, 2014: 241 lbs.
December 21st, 2014: 238 lbs.
December 28th, 2014: 236 lbs.
January 4th, 2015: 233 lbs.

I know that I've made a lot of progress. The fact that none of my old pants still fit me is evidence enough of that, and I find myself able to sleep on my side again - I had previously stopped because my weight, particularly at my hips, made it too uncomfortable. But aside from that... I'm just not feeling it. I mean, I've nearly dropped 100 lbs. and I guess I just expected it to be more noticeable. At what point should I feel a difference? Shouldn't the locomotion of my everyday movements become easier?

I know that according to the calculations, I'm still obese. It's kind of funny, as my father always told me I was but I refused to believe it. Surely, I thought, I wasn't like the people they show on TV when doing news stories on obesity. But here I am, 85 lbs. lighter, and I'm still obese. It really puts things into perspective. Denial is a far too potent drug.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am sorry about your father.
    You have accomplished a lot since you started in June.
    Have you cleaned out your closet and tossed ALL the old clothes to the curb and bought new ones? Seriously. Do not even try to give them away. Throw them out now. Freeing yourself of those things can provide "cleansing" and change your outlook on the world and yourself.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    First of all your progress is amazing and you should be really proud of that. I very very sorry to hear about your fathers death. Losing a loved one is never easy. I have to say, I am sure he would be really proud that you took to trying to get healthy instead of falling into depression.

When you say you don't feel much different what do you mean? You feel out of shape still? Unfortunately the only thing that will help with that is exercise. Calorie restriction is for weightloss, exercise is for fitness. If that is not what you mean, could you possibly explain further?
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. It must be hard, but if you honour your promise you will not only live longer, but eventually as your head catches up with your body, you will feel different. It takes time to get used to the idea that you aren't the size you were. You are still however the same person, so you probably won't feel different emotionally.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    The change is gradual enough so it's less noticeable over time. Hitting the gym made a more notable difference for me.
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to think of yourself as a different size for ages after losing my weight I was still picking up the wrong sized clothes because in my mind I was still that size (I know that probably doesn't make sense).
    Maybe upping your exercise might help.
    You have done so well getting to where you are today keep at it and one day you (nobody knows when that will be) you will be able to see/feel the difference
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Amazing work. I think it's safe to say your dad would be very happy with your progress.

I don't know when you'll subjectively feel better in terms of moving around, but I do know that with that 85-pound loss, you've just relieved your knees (and other joints) of 255 pounds of extra pressure.

Denial is for real. I know that when I was at my highest weight, I honestly thought I looked like I did at a medium-for-me weight. I thought I looked "a little pudgy", or "bloated". Birthday pics were a shocker, for sure. Same thing when you lose it, your brain doesn't quite catch up as fast as what's happening.

You're doing fine, just keep at it.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I had the greatest physical changes not from the weight lost (because I really don't think it's that significant yet) but from my exercise. I had worked up to some short jogs on long walks and started biking and kettlebells. The redistribution of my body made more impact than the weight loss!

The rest is mind games. I told myself it wasn't real. I told myself not much had really changed... but then I would notice something like my rain boots suddenly loose on the top. In a rare moment a friend would notice. I would down play still... the numbers haven't changed that much. My mind is just catching up - it took me a year and I still have progress to make (lots). Give the brain time to accept and catch up.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Weight is only one measurement which alone doe snot help gauge other improvements. It is likely that your every day movements require less effort. I assume you are doing some kind of exercise perhaps walking. Try something that will give you an indication of improvement for a compass eg. Time how long it takes to climb a hill / walk a distance at a maximum rate you still feel comfortable with and check progress over time say each week . Rowing machine is another one - time how long it takes to row 1KM at a challenging rate and monitor improvement over time. Something that you can quantify that reflects improvement I think may help. You are doing great.
  • gettinfitaus
    gettinfitaus Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My weightloss is nowhere near as big as yours, and right now I am back where I started. But I never noticed a change until I started achieving my NSV. I noticed I had achieved something when I ran a 10k race. I noticed when I could start buying smaller clothes, I noticed changes when my husband could pick me up. But I never got to the stage where I noticed it just walking around or because I stepped on the scale.

The other thing is that those moments didn't ever come at a predefined time. I never said I'm gonna buy smaller clothes today, it happened because my pants practically fell off and the belt I was using just caused it to bunch indecently (the folds were falling down under the belt showing things I would rather keep hidden!). Until then I had no idea. Likewise the first time I ran 5k without walking I just about burst with pride but I had no idea that that would be the day it would finally click...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is important to reduce your risk of health problems, but it is exercise that makes you feel better. I try to put in an hour or two of cycling most days. It is difficult, even painful, at times, but it clears the head and I love how I feel after I wash the salt off my skin and put on dry clothes.
  • snoweduponberries
    snoweduponberries Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight a few times. It's true, your brain doesn't seem to catch on. It's like that with gaining, too. Maybe because it's so gradual.
    When losing weight, I'd focus on all the bad/fatty parts of my body, compare myself to my friends....I still felt like the fat friend, fat in general, like I could never ever be like them.
    When gaining weight, I'd look in the mirror and think...I don't look that bad, I still look ok in my clothes, it's not that bad.

Know what always shocked the hell out of me and painted the real picture? A photograph. Not sure how or why the mirror lies, but seeing yourself in a photo really really showcases your change, and alters your perception of self!

I've included two pics. Me at my biggest and smallest. Before the pics...I didn't think I was that big, and I didn't think I was that small. Scale and pant measurements meant nothing....the photos did.

crz1oxhqxv9u.jpg
    2pmfniemlzpp.jpg
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm sorry about your dad. I lost my dad to cancer almost 10 years ago.

You've made amazing progress and you've lowered your health risks tremendously just by coming as far as you have -- give yourself credit for that! :)

I've lost almost 75 lbs and I'm still obese. I know how frustrating that is. I love to work out because it's the only thing that makes me see my progress. Yes, my old clothes are too big and I wear a smaller size, but I still cringe when I look at myself in the mirror. When I'm working out, though, I can see and feel the difference in my stamina, energy level, and strength. That's what makes me feel good.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You have made awesome progress.

Also, 5'10-5'11 is NOT short for a man, period. Just because your family may tend to be taller, you are still above average height.

I know it's different as I'm female and 5'8" but I started out several years ago at my all-time heaviest of 307 and the biggest differences for me (in how I FELT) were at the very start...say from 307 to 290...and then in the later stages of my loss...like from 185 to current 168. So there was a HUGE range of over 100 lb that I truly did not feel very different, even though I was losing inches and clothing sizes.

In fact I used to be pretty annoyed when I had gone from say, 262 (my start weight on MFP) to around 215, and friends/neighbors would say "I bet you feel so much better" because I didn't feel different. I felt good at both of those sizes without a dramatic change.
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.

Not to much to ad, just concentrate on the positive aspects: the reason why you wanted to lose weight and what you have achieved so far to re-motivate you and remind you not to give up.

I'm sure you will be opening a post on "success stories" and inspiring others shortly.

Wish you all the best.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I went from 171 to 132 and I still don't see it when I look in a mirror. It is when I look at pictures that I see it. As others have said, our brains tend to be a little slower at realizing you have lost weight.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You have been focusing entirely on weighing less, not feeling different.

so you achieved weight loss but not a different feeling about everything.

you have to work toward that just like working toward losing weight.

they, unfortunately, are not a package deal.
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the doctor for a physical since your weight loss started? I bet he/she would have a lot of positive feedback for you on the benefits to your health of your amazing progress.

Your dad would be proud of you for sharing yourself on this forum.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    DianePK wrote: »
    I'm sorry for your loss. It must be hard, but if you honour your promise you will not only live longer, but eventually as your head catches up with your body, you will feel different. It takes time to get used to the idea that you aren't the size you were. You are still however the same person, so you probably won't feel different emotionally.

Perfectly stated. I am very sorry for your loss and it's true that your head will catch up with your body. The challenge is learning to feel better about who you are not just about the weight. Best wishes to you and hope good things for you in this new year.