45 lbs off...20 more to go

Options
Bri1205
Bri1205 Posts: 17 Member
First of all, I want to say hello to everyone and extend a thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am a 23 year old female, graduate student. I am earning my M.S.S.W. hoping to graduate in the Spring of 2016. However, prior to entering graduate school, I was carrying around 185 lbs on a 5'0 ft frame. It was terrible. I was unhappy and not to mention considered obese!

I was wearing a size 15-16 in pants and a size large in blouses, while using a size 14 in dresses. After years of being overweight and hating myself for it, I finally decided to make a change in 2013. I started paying attention to how I ate, what I ate, and at what time I was eating. This was undeniably the best thing I ever did to lose weight. My whole notion about food changed. I altered my mentality and was successful at dropping about 45 lbs on solely watching my nutrition. It took me 6 months. I did not exercise heavily at this time nor did I have a predetermined workout regimen. With this in mind, I have maintained my weight loss over the two years.

Currently, I am 140-141 lbs. I am wearing a size 8 in pants and a size small to medium in blouses, while being able to wear a size 8 in dresses. However, I wish to lose 20 more lbs. within a 3 month interval this year, in 2015. This time I want to dedicate myself to working out and of course, watching what I eat. I want to tone, lift, strengthen, and finally be able to wear a bikini without feeling self-conscious. My goal is to lose about 2 lbs./week. I know it's possible, but I don't know where to start with exercise. I do have a gym membership, but even there, I feel lost. There is just so much information on what you're not supposed to do that I don't know what's right!

If anyone could offer some tips or websites about exercise, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, if you'd like to be friends on this website, don't hesitate to add me. (:

Thank you,
Brianna <3

Replies

• shfoster0721
    shfoster0721 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Welcome, feel free to add me I am down 125 in under a year.
  • Bri1205
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you.
  • jillcoyle
    jillcoyle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bri, Maybe try a nutritionist? There is also a place in Hilton Head, SC; that I just came back from- I've gone a couple of times; its called Hilton Head Health; they have lectures; meal planning; a wonderful fitness program; it is not inexpensive but not over the top either. So far since Dec 14, I've taken off 12 pounds- have to do that x3 to get where I want but I feel great and so far able to keep my calories on target while eating healthy; getting my protein and carbs in - as well as keeping up my exercise. I had knee surgery on Oct 31- so now I MUST keep moving- for the rest of my life- no excuses this time.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Welcome. 2lbs per week is possible, but a bit ambitious without sacrificing muscle at your point, especially if you want to lift and strengthen. I'm just slightly below your weight and only a smidge taller and I don't think I could function in the weight pit at the calorie count required if I was looking for 2lbs per week.

Good reads are new rules of lifting for women and/or strong curves. Google either and you'll find lots of info about workouts, etc online as well.
  • madamepsych0sis
    madamepsych0sis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You've got this!
  • Negriita2010
    Negriita2010 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    add me
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    lets go !
  • Bri1205
    Options
    jillcoyle wrote: »
    Bri, Maybe try a nutritionist? There is also a place in Hilton Head, SC; that I just came back from- I've gone a couple of times; its called Hilton Head Health; they have lectures; meal planning; a wonderful fitness program; it is not inexpensive but not over the top either. So far since Dec 14, I've taken off 12 pounds- have to do that x3 to get where I want but I feel great and so far able to keep my calories on target while eating healthy; getting my protein and carbs in - as well as keeping up my exercise. I had knee surgery on Oct 31- so now I MUST keep moving- for the rest of my life- no excuses this time.

Congratulations! Losing 12 lbs during the holiday season is amazing! :) I've researched some RD's here in my hometown, but first visits are pretty expensive. I need to check with my insurance! But, thank you, I'll definitely be going to see one.

Also, yes no more excuses! This is exactly what I've been telling myself. Good luck.
  • Bri1205
    Options
    Welcome. 2lbs per week is possible, but a bit ambitious without sacrificing muscle at your point, especially if you want to lift and strengthen. I'm just slightly below your weight and only a smidge taller and I don't think I could function in the weight pit at the calorie count required if I was looking for 2lbs per week.

Good reads are new rules of lifting for women and/or strong curves. Google either and you'll find lots of info about workouts, etc online as well.

Thank you for your honesty! I did some more research, and I've realized that in my weight bracket losing that much per week is ambitious! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If I were much heavier, it would be easier to do so. How ironic! Also, I have been reading up on some articles about strength training! So, thank you for that advice. (:
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I would cut my carb intake to 50% and increase protein, fiber and water
    I would include a small dessert with one of my meals to cut craving.
    Do an exercise you are comfortable with either running, walking and slowly progress to other exercises either at home or in the gym.
    HIIT exercises are great !