Be careful....

Options
As I skimmed through a few conversations I noticed a suggestion about taking a class at your gym (if they're offered)....just a small piece of advice. If you're looking for something different, and you're thinking of taking a class, I would suggest watching one first if you can, being realistic about what you saw and maybe talking to the instructor ahead of time about what will be involved -the intesity, length, etc.

Last week, I took none of this advice (except watching the class....but then completely ignored what I saw) and took a Cardio Kickboxing class. My gym's website, of course, said it was for all levels....yeah right! Today is the first day, since last Wednesday, that I've been able to walk right. The class was super intense....a great workout.....but too much for pudgy-out-of-shape me. No beginner should be allowed to take that class. :noway:

I know everyone says to listen to your body while your working out...which is true...but in this case, my leg didn't yell at me until the next day. I can't even describe how ridiculous I looked hobbling around (my bf said I looked like I was ice skating). Not to mention the pain I was in!!! :sad:

So, just be careful and make sure you're making informed decisions about new adventures. We definitely all need to change up our workouts once in a while...but I strongly suggest looking before leaping!!!

Replies

• bcakes81178
    Options
    As I skimmed through a few conversations I noticed a suggestion about taking a class at your gym (if they're offered)....just a small piece of advice. If you're looking for something different, and you're thinking of taking a class, I would suggest watching one first if you can, being realistic about what you saw and maybe talking to the instructor ahead of time about what will be involved -the intesity, length, etc.

Last week, I took none of this advice (except watching the class....but then completely ignored what I saw) and took a Cardio Kickboxing class. My gym's website, of course, said it was for all levels....yeah right! Today is the first day, since last Wednesday, that I've been able to walk right. The class was super intense....a great workout.....but too much for pudgy-out-of-shape me. No beginner should be allowed to take that class. :noway:

I know everyone says to listen to your body while your working out...which is true...but in this case, my leg didn't yell at me until the next day. I can't even describe how ridiculous I looked hobbling around (my bf said I looked like I was ice skating). Not to mention the pain I was in!!! :sad:

So, just be careful and make sure you're making informed decisions about new adventures. We definitely all need to change up our workouts once in a while...but I strongly suggest looking before leaping!!!
  • cookie23
    Options
    Unless you're super fit, kickboxing is a really poor aerobic choice. Many people injure their backs trying to keep pace with the instructor's twists and round house kicks. Try step aerobics, lots of fun, great workout, and you can adjust the size of the step to you're fitness level. Also, you rarely end up sore, only lose a little dignity when you make a wrong step or turn.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    And the nice thing about step aerobics, is that you can put the step at different levels, so if you can't do the 3 riser step, you can do one, or if you talk to the instructor first, you might even be able to do it at floor level.

If I take a new class at the gym, I always go to the instructor beforehand, and just ask if there is anything I should know or be aware of. When instructors know there is a beginner in a class, if there is a modified move or step, they will anounce it and show it, and then you can do your level and not die the next day.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Sorry...but that made me laugh! Only because I wanted to do this Cardio Pump class and went to sign up for it (til I realized it wasn't one of the free classes offered). Instead I decided to shoot hoops with my husband...after seeing the class take a lap around the gym I would have died!!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    When I was around 30 years old I was working out with Gilad on TV. He was doing shoulders that day and said "LISTEN to your body" he DIDNT say stop when it hurts....you can feel when a certain muscle is fatigued and stop.

I didnt listen and ended up almost losing my waitress job because I couldnt lift the tray!!

Thank God I was looking hot, so the young guy I worked with carried my trays all night!!! :laugh:

I swear it took YEARS for my shoulders to heal.

Listen to your body. Do not try to do what everyone else is doing. Do a modified version of a move. Even now when I start a new program...such as Biggest Loser DVD, I do not do the lunges all the way down. Why, because this is an entirely new move for me and I am going to nothing to hurt my body.

(Btw...Bob is mean) :grumble: :grumble: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I still remember the pain from a "ski conditioning" class I took once! :laugh:

Good reminder for us all! :laugh: :wink:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Or the inner thigh workout my friend let me borrow. 20 minutes on the tiny muscles of the inner and out thighs......NOTHING for the quad....GREAT....They should have used this song for the video

"Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy"!
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options

(Btw...Bob is mean) :grumble: :grumble: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes he is! What BL video are you doing? I want to choke him during BL Cardio Max when he says "Remember I LOVE BOB" :laugh: If he wasn't so cute I would throw the weights at the tv!:bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Biggest Loser The Work Out

It has suzy preston...who ROCKED that year!!

It is so simple, yet new moves to me and I was really working it. He tells ya to do these jumping jacks, then get up in the camera...ARE YOU DOING THEM!

I LOL! I like the work out and think I may buy the series.
    I like that you have a 6 day work out planned for you. cardio, then stretch, then weights. Goign to do the weights today.

I will let you know how much i 'love' that part!!