Check my math to see if I'm eating the right calories.

Options
*I do have a Dr's apt scheduled, but I want to be sure I'm going in with the right information/questions*

My BMR is 964 - this was the result given to me after I took the BMR test by my Doctor. I have thyroid issues.

So going along if my BMR is 964 and my activity level is sedentary my maintenance calorie intake is 1,157.

A normal weight person should cut between 500-700 calories a day to lose weight. This takes my weight loss calorie intake to 657.

And then eat back all of my exercise calories.

I'm not asking if you think the above is a good idea (I'll be discussing that with my Dr) what I'd like help on is if I'm doing the above math correctly.

I used: livestrong.com/article/266994-how-to-lose-weight-with-bmr/ to figure out the above. I picked Sedentary because I have a desk job and aside from my workouts I am super lazy.

Replies

• silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor. No one here is qualified to help you if you have thyroid problems and your BMR is truly that low. You must get onto a medically maintained program, because the levels you're talking about are dangerous. Best of luck to you.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Start by getting a stand-up workstation if in any way possible. That alone will make a big difference in your daily activity levels, plus it is very, very good for you health in general. If you can't get one, just stack a big pile of books under your keyboard, tilt your monitor up and you're good to go. That's what I do at my home office. When I'm done for the day, I just stuff the books back in the bookshelf.

Second, I'd recommend that you eat at least 1000 kcal / day and then just grab yourself by the neck and make sure that you move about enough to lose weight. For you it would probably be enough to just stand up at the office, and try to walk about for 5-10 minutes every hour if at all possible.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If your total daily energy expenditure or TDEE (BMR+activity) is 1157cal, and you want to cut 500 calories, then you want a NET calorie intake of 657, that is calories eaten - calories burnt off = 657.

E.g.

You could eat 1257 calories and burn off 600 from exercise = 657

You could eat 1157 calories and burn off 500 = 657

you could eat 1057 calories, and burn off 400 = 657

etc. etc.

I know you aren't asking for advice but I would urge caution; These numbers sound very low... and 500-700 is quite an aggressive cut. I've been going with 300 and had excellent results.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    You should not be eating below your bmr.
  • jayclock
    jayclock Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That BMR sounds medically unlikely. See a doctor
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that you need to sort it out with your doctor (hopefully alongside the thyroid issues).

However, I don't think there's any requirement to drop 500+ calories to lose weight. I never went that low (I averaged about 300 calories deficit). I don't know your situation, but I'd think it would be easier to get enough good nutrition in if you had a smaller deficit. Some people use percentages rather than a fixed amount (e.g. TDEE - 10%). It might be something to talk about with your doctor?
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    Check with your doctor. No one here is qualified to help you if you have thyroid problems and your BMR is truly that low. You must get onto a medically maintained program, because the levels you're talking about are dangerous. Best of luck to you.

The only help I'm asking for is if my math is correct. I am seeing a Doctor and will be asking him about how I should proceed- I just wanted to make sure I was understanding everything so I don't look like an idiot.

• Squamation
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    Start by getting a stand-up workstation if in any way possible. That alone will make a big difference in your daily activity levels, plus it is very, very good for you health in general. If you can't get one, just stack a big pile of books under your keyboard, tilt your monitor up and you're good to go. That's what I do at my home office. When I'm done for the day, I just stuff the books back in the bookshelf.

Second, I'd recommend that you eat at least 1000 kcal / day and then just grab yourself by the neck and make sure that you move about enough to lose weight. For you it would probably be enough to just stand up at the office, and try to walk about for 5-10 minutes every hour if at all possible.

Thanks for idea of a standing desk. I would have to look into using books like you said. I do walk around at least once an hour.
  • Squamation
    Options
    Jams009 wrote: »
    If your total daily energy expenditure or TDEE (BMR+activity) is 1157cal, and you want to cut 500 calories, then you want a NET calorie intake of 657, that is calories eaten - calories burnt off = 657.

E.g.

You could eat 1257 calories and burn off 600 from exercise = 657

You could eat 1157 calories and burn off 500 = 657

you could eat 1057 calories, and burn off 400 = 657

etc. etc.

I know you aren't asking for advice but I would urge caution; These numbers sound very low... and 500-700 is quite an aggressive cut. I've been going with 300 and had excellent results.

Right. It's a net of 657. Thanks. :)

I don't plan on netting only 657- I'm not sure that's even nutritionally possible.
  • Squamation
    Options
    jayclock wrote: »
    That BMR sounds medically unlikely. See a doctor

I am seeing a Dr. That's where I got the BMR results from after taking an official medical test. And the numbers are that low because of my Thyroid issues. Thank you so much for reading the post.
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nevermind.
  • Squamation
    Options
    Vailara wrote: »
    I agree with the others that you need to sort it out with your doctor (hopefully alongside the thyroid issues).

However, I don't think there's any requirement to drop 500+ calories to lose weight. I never went that low (I averaged about 300 calories deficit). I don't know your situation, but I'd think it would be easier to get enough good nutrition in if you had a smaller deficit. Some people use percentages rather than a fixed amount (e.g. TDEE - 10%). It might be something to talk about with your doctor?

Thank you. I'm currently taking thyroid medication and we'll be testing my BRM again after a few months to see how/if it's helping that.

I just picked 500 because of the article. I'll look into TDEE.